Goa for 6 months?

Old Feb 3rd 2016, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

wheelrim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Goa for 6 months?

Hi to all.
Shirley and I are currently living on a Narrowboat and traveling the UK. We are looking for a place to spend 6 months in the near future and have travelled quite extensively around the world so far, including driving from UK to Goa once! We feel Goa could be an option for our 6 month stay and would like some thoughts from those there already.
We are not `rolling` in money but know we have enough to rent a small place and live well enough to suit our humble needs. Any thoughts?
Thanks to all.
John and Shirley.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 4:29 pm
Derbyshire

ChesterfieldLynne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Goa for 6 months?

Hello John and Shirley, I too have lived on a narrow boat. Have you been on the Leeds Liverpool Canal? It was built on such a grand scale. I can remember throwing up ropes to my husband Bryan from the bottom of a lock - such a long way below ground level!
I have also lived in India with lots of time spent in Goa - and in Kerala where I currently have guest accommodation. I admire your adventure travelling from UK to Goa by car. People could do this more often but for the silly conflict areas. Let us hope one day it can become a popular thing to do. I would have loved to do it.
If you want to be in India on and off for years to come, I recommend you put your money into an existing project, get involved and get a work permit. In India that will include your accommodation - and probably your food too - because that is how they do things in India.
If you just want the six months in India, then I suggest you check out WorkAway Info where you can offer your services as a volunteer in exchange for food and lodging. Regards, Lynne
Old Feb 5th 2016, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ChesterfieldLynne
... check out WorkAway Info where you can offer your services as a volunteer in exchange for food and lodging. Regards, Lynne
not really allowed in India on a tourist visa - and a 'volunteer visa' is for working for registered NGO's only - but what the heck!
Just one thing, a quote from the WorkAway website:
"There is NO age limit. In fact, our hosts said they preferred more mature workers (aged 22 upwards)."
I worked for a similar organisation in the UK when I was 15, and anyone of 22 would have seemed ancient!
Mind you, that was nearly sixty years ago!

fwiw for a 6 month let you should get quite decent furnished accommodation in Goa for Rs. 15-20,000 a month or even less.

AndyD 8-)
Old Feb 20th 2016, 6:45 pm
Derbyshire

ChesterfieldLynne is an unknown quantity at this point

Workaway volunteers have stayed at my places in Kerala, South India. One lady with her son took photos which I required. Others have tidied up after monsoon and sent photos. Helpful for me and helpful for them. Workaway volunteers are usually travelling to a few countries - a short stay in each. They just require accommodation and meals.
Old Mar 16th 2016, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

shinninglikeme is an unknown quantity at this point

To rent a place s a good option but , to buy a place not.
As your stay is not more than 6 months , you definitely should rent a place also . There are many options to stay in Goa as living in GOA for months and years is a common thing and many accommodations at good rates are available.