Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Food in goa... avoiding tummy bugs (or worse)....

Food in goa... avoiding tummy bugs (or worse)....

Old Nov 18th 2013, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Vagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of light
Default Food in goa... avoiding tummy bugs (or worse)....

We all know dysentery, , parasites, amoeba's, Giardia, E coli, Salmonella and other stomach problems can originate in India, whats the situation with Goa, better ?

When eating in restaurants I am quite careful. I don't take ice, no salads and check my knife and fork and glass bottoms for water. It's the water that'll getcha. I only eat fully cooked dishes as a rule and steer clear from prawns and other sea shelled stuff. I mainly eat fried fish and curries. I avoid dairy products as well. I know this is a little boring at times but the thought iof being ill in bed for 5 days or something on a relatively short trip is one I do not relish.

Are these fears unwarranted ? Is hygiene good in Goa generally ?

Only time I had to literally run too loo within 15mins after eating something was....after Domino's Pizaa... A vegetarian one... obviously the cheese was not quite right... never again !

Last edited by Vagatorsunset; Nov 18th 2013 at 9:54 am.
Old Nov 18th 2013, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hi.doc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Food in goa... avoiding tummy bugs (or worse)....

Hi Vagatorsunset
Perhaps we are just lucky or have a strong constitution, but do you think it just could be the 8/14 hour flight from the UK, the aircraft food, a couple of Kingfish Beer on arrival and the 3 -4 hour lay in the sun on the first day, that might have some effect? We have tended to do local and commercial places for the past 15 seasons, without a problem. Generally hygiene is good in Goa, but always be aware. Enjoy
Old Nov 18th 2013, 4:23 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Food in goa... avoiding tummy bugs (or worse)....

I've only been on a visit of a few weeks to India (Delhi, Goa and Mumbai) but before I went I picked up this great tip from some of the guys who work with my spouse (at an MNC) who have either lived in India on expat postings or have had numerous business trips to India:

Every day drink a can/bottle/glass of Coca Cola (the original stuff, not the diet kind). Apparently it is so full of sugar that it is difficult for bugs to take hold in your system. Personally I can't stand the stuff, but I did have a Coke every day when I was there. Absolutely no tummy bugs whatsoever, although like the O/P I also took care in what/where I was eating.

Now I don't know for sure if Coca Cola is truly effective in warding off bugs or if it's an Old Wives tale....but it definitely seemed to work for me and surely worth a try.
Old Nov 19th 2013, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Isn't there already a thread for this? - perhaps it's on IM.
fwiw the commonest vector for food poisoning is banknotes.
If worried avoid salads, local water and icecubes.
Anything (freshly) deep-fried or really well boiled should be safe (from that point of view anyway!).
In any new environment you are likely to get one or two upsets as you get used to the local microflora so stick to a small number of restaurants/ shacks.
I have always found Goa to be pretty good from this point of view (which is really difficult to believe after a visit to the Mapusa Market nullah!)

AndyD 8-)
Old Nov 20th 2013, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Food in goa... avoiding tummy bugs (or worse)....

Originally Posted by Vagatorsunset
We all know dysentery, , parasites, amoeba's, Giardia, E coli, Salmonella and other stomach problems can originate in India, whats the situation with Goa, better ?

When eating in restaurants I am quite careful. I don't take ice, no salads and check my knife and fork and glass bottoms for water. It's the water that'll getcha. I only eat fully cooked dishes as a rule and steer clear from prawns and other sea shelled stuff. I mainly eat fried fish and curries. I avoid dairy products as well. I know this is a little boring at times but the thought iof being ill in bed for 5 days or something on a relatively short trip is one I do not relish.

Are these fears unwarranted ? Is hygiene good in Goa generally ?

Only time I had to literally run too loo within 15mins after eating something was....after Domino's Pizaa... A vegetarian one... obviously the cheese was not quite right... never again !
We have not found Goa to be any different from anywhere in the world for food hygiene and have successfully managed to get stomach upsets in several countries including the UK. We follow the rules as applied by other contributors but we try not let it worry us or make us any more careful than normal. I do take a pro and prebiotic whereever I go as that seems to help rather than the Coke policy!
The worst time here in Goa was a Christmas dinner with a couple we met in Calangute called Joseph and Mary and I am not joking! That laid me up for several weeks so if someone called Santa asks you out dont go!!
Old Nov 24th 2013, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Vagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of lightVagatorsunset is a glorious beacon of light

Aww thank guys as I say never been bad, only after dodgy veg pizza as I mentioned. The Mrs was ill the next day too with a big gassy stomach... mine err.... came straight out so to speak, proper emergency bog requirements so to speak... literally running down the road asking random people where a toilet was, not good !

Touch wood will just keep up with what we normally do.

You are right the flight and hours before it right mess my stomach and mind up anyway, at least for 2-3 days till I get my head straight. the heat gets to me but I still keep coming back cause the fact is despite "progress" and development nothing quite comes close.

I guess I have a bit of a hippie inside.