Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Dodgy Restaurants in Goa.

Dodgy Restaurants in Goa.

Old Dec 17th 2013, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dodgy Restaurants in Goa.

And the moral of the above story is , if your tone deaf or stone deaf, then Why Not on a Monday night is the place for you !
Old Dec 17th 2013, 9:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prestonjohn
And the moral of the above story is , if your tone deaf or stone deaf, then Why Not on a Monday night is the place for you !
Something we agree on-- I cannot stand karaoke.
That said, some years ago in a south goa hotel restaurant a middle aged Russian man sang Russian folk songs including kalinka and it was amazing. Also it had the good result that nobody else could sing as the audience wouldn't let him go!!!
Old Dec 17th 2013, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold

Some of my friends think the Why Not is wonderful but I ate there (with some of said friends) two or three times last season and was not impressed by their food or the entertainment.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

k800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to beholdk800mer is a splendid one to behold

We tried to get into Why Not, near the temple in Calingut,for their famous fish & Chips, which my wife likes but i cannot stand bloody Basu as i find it chewy and bland. Anyway it was Karaoke open mike night and just our luck as we entered the door a big fat women grabbed the mike and the sound that came out reminded me of an old Massey Fergusson Tractor changing gears....... we fled to Spice Oven in Arpora and to my suprise i found their Steak Pie completely wonderful....just a few chips lots of gravy and at 300 rupees not bad.Bit pricey but not bad.
Spice Ovens steak pie is a favourite with several of my friends and my son. Has been for the last two or three seasons.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Shasha is an unknown quantity at this point

Went to the Stone House - dull food, quite unappetising, and a dreasful band! The Curry House, on the other hand - cheapand cheerful and some good solosingers!
Old Dec 22nd 2013, 4:59 am
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

For some unfathomable reason we ate at Prashants from his chinese selection and it was absolutely horrible.Do not know what the cook was thinking but if i was Prashant the first thing i would do is look for a new cook because the one he has is complete rubbish. Burgers and chips yes, cooking good food NO !
Old Dec 24th 2013, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Sun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really nice

Isthis the place they call halfway house ?
If so you will only find it packed most nights and the food is some of the best in Goa for English food
I alway recomend that my friend eat there before they fly home
I would not call this a dodgy restaurant far from it
Old Dec 25th 2013, 4:55 am
BE Enthusiast

The English food is quite good in there but for some reason the chinese food was not up to their good standards. Maybe the cook was having a bad cook day i dont know.Have ate there quite a number of times and its usually very good, in fact there Christmas Dinner menu today is very good.Will have to have a word with the boss to sort things out.
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Sun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really niceSun Hunter is just really nice

I have never been a big lover of Fire and Ice But my friend told me that there was a new Fire and Ice in Calangute next to Why Not and opp Falcon Resort and he had be told by a UK butcher that this was some of the best steak he had ever had
Well i thought ok we will give it a try again you never know
WRONG food was horrible service was terrible had to ask for the bill 6 times because the only person that could do the bill was busy chatting up some girls
avoid this place at all costs
Old Mar 9th 2014, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

steveandpauline is an unknown quantity at this point

have to say gaylins Chinese restaurant in margao, its the worst food anywhere. 14 of us went in to eat and none of us could eat it. vile!!!smelly and definetly off!! 6 of us ended up in hospital with food poisoning...STAY AWAY
Old Mar 11th 2014, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Sai Restaurant in Arpora has closed down for some mysterious reason. Wonder if that local gangster who opened next door has put the frighteners on them ?
Old Mar 11th 2014, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

mustbemad is an unknown quantity at this point

It is open this afternoon just been past. Not sure what's going on but it must be something dodgy
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

Has been more than a few years since i visited Goa. I used to stay 6 months at a time in a private apartment at Donna alcina, not sure if it still open etc. their roof top restaurant overlooking the pool was good.

Out of the Donna alcina turn left cross the road after dodging the sleeping water buffalo(after dark) to the Spice Garden. Owned by a Goan who played his rugby at wasps, married to an Austrian lady who did the cooking whilst he pretended he was Elvis

not cheap but food was great
Old Apr 5th 2014, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Sai Restaurant in Arpora has closed down for some mysterious reason. Wonder if that local gangster who opened next door has put the frighteners on them ?
Sai's closed down in March for 'refurbishment' and shortly before they did some friends ate there having eaten there occasionally throughout the season but that time they said the food was dreadful and they could not eat it.