Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Do you take anti malarials for Goa ?

Do you take anti malarials for Goa ?

Old Jan 10th 2014, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Do you take anti malarials for Goa ?

Originally Posted by Bipat
Andy there is a difference between 'infection' and 'disease', bacteria or virus get into the human body and multiply. If they are prevented at this stage from causing damage to the body-- by drugs you are taking or your immune system (putting it simply) 'disease' does not follow.
As I said personal opinion and a balance of risks.
There is a difference between 'infection', 'infectious' and also 'illness'.
From the sources I mentioned, I understand that if you are bitten by an infected mosquito, and the parasites pass to your spleen, then you will be both infected and ill (including feeling ill), and the parasite will multiply in your body (spleen), but until the new parasites enter your blood stream the drugs you are taking will have no effect, also you will not be infectious (to mosquitos!) - which seems to be the WHO's definition of 'having malarial disease' (they are understandably more concerned about transmission of the disease than whether a particular individual is cured).

As I said at the start: you takes your choice, and if necessary pays your money (to the big drug cartels that have already wantonly flooded the market with antimalarials (and antbiotics) leading to worldwide drug resistance).

AndyD 8-)
Old Feb 15th 2014, 9:24 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

this is a fascinating discussion. When I first moved to India 10 yrs ago I took them for about 18 months then realised that if I got ill I could get treatment and I felt I might be building up some immunity. I then stopped . Returned to the UK 18 months ago and just been to Goa for a holiday, nurse in surgery gave advice from MASTA that should take anti M if going to Goa, so what do you do? I took it as I wondered would my not taking it invalidate any insurance should I get ill whilst there. Would be interested to know how an insurance company would react if you were taken very ill with say a complication of Malaria and had not taken anti m ?
Old Feb 16th 2014, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Return of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant futureReturn of Santan has a brilliant future

Our practice nurse at home recommended Vibramycin as one of the best anti-Ms with lesser side effects, - don't know how much they cost ( if available ) over here ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doxycycline

She also said don't Boots ( chemist that is ) as they charge a dispensing fee

We didn't take that advice but took her advice on getting anti rabies jabs ( gives 10 yrs + protection) as apparently there is a shortage on the anti rabies vac, and judging by the ever growing amount of mangy dogs around we thought it the lesser of 2 evils

RofS
Old Mar 16th 2014, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

steveandpauline is an unknown quantity at this point

I can only speak as I find. have been going to goa for about 12 years. even bought a house out there. never taken any form of malaria tablets. seen how they can make you feel really ill. a friend came with us one year and took these awful pills and ended up wanting to go home. I threw them down toilet and a few days later she started to enjoy the holiday. trust me...if you aint going deep into the jungle, stay off of them
Old Mar 16th 2014, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveandpauline
I can only speak as I find. have been going to goa for about 12 years. even bought a house out there. never taken any form of malaria tablets. seen how they can make you feel really ill. a friend came with us one year and took these awful pills and ended up wanting to go home. I threw them down toilet and a few days later she started to enjoy the holiday. trust me...if you aint going deep into the jungle, stay off of them
I don't think you can decide for others. Some people have severe side-effects most do not.
Malaria is a dangerous disease. (Which will also make you feel really ill)! Also depends where else you are travelling in India, doesn't have to be a jungle.
I don't take them as I believe that over time some immunity is acquired, and am prepared to take the risk. OH (Indian) does take them. Probably because he has seen the ravages of the disease .
So each person must make their own decision.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

If you want to worry, worry about Japanese encephalitis (don't know about rabies shots - they used to have serious associated risks and side effects and were only given if you'd been bitten by a suspected rabid animal - maybe this has changed).
No real point in worrying about chikungunya or dengue as there is no prophylactic and only symptomatic treatment.
I already said all I've got to say about anti-malarials in earlier posts.

AndyD 8-)
Old Mar 17th 2014, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by a_f_d
If you want to worry, worry about Japanese encephalitis (don't know about rabies shots - they used to have serious associated risks and side effects and were only given if you'd been bitten by a suspected rabid animal - maybe this has changed).
No real point in worrying about chikungunya or dengue as there is no prophylactic and only symptomatic treatment.
I already said all I've got to say about anti-malarials in earlier posts.

AndyD 8-)
As I said before it is a matter of assessing your personal risk, we always took J. encephalitis jabs for children and selves when travelling in North India, where it is far more common.

Rabies, just avoid stray dogs etc., easy for us in south Goa & Karwar, but from what I read on here not easy in north Goa.

Just ran the malaria question in front of OH, "I'm not taking the risk" he stated, I kept quiet!!!
That from someone who thinks I make unnecessary fuss about lack of seat belts in our local driver's taxi.
Old Mar 17th 2014, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

leavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the roughleavinggoa is a jewel in the rough

I've been here for more than 9 years, continuously apart from visa runs. I can't take them forever. If I hear about an outbreak locally, I take them.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

poipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud ofpoipleshadow has much to be proud of

I haven't taken them in 10 years, I understand the risks, similarly I ride my bike without a helmet, I also know the risks, people do stupid things, but it's whatever you are comfortable with. I have known several people this year who have contracted malaria, one of the children, and a few Indian adults. To put things in perspective though. Just think about pretty much the whole Indian population who don't take Anti Malarials. Thankfully for me, I rarely get bitten and I see that as the best protection against Malaria and other similar infections spread by Mosquitos. Doors closed, mosquito nets on windows, fan, plug in adapters (which I am not sure are that healthy either, but..)...