Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

In To-day's Newspapers

In To-day's Newspapers

Old Apr 11th 2015, 8:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In To-day's Newspapers

Originally Posted by a_f_d
... gov't of Maharashtra are to convert the house where he was born into a Kipling museum.
wonder what quotes they'll put on the walls? probably not:

Take up the White Man's burden –
The savage wars of peace –
Fill full the mouth of Famine
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
The end for others sought,
Watch sloth and heathen Folly
Bring all your hopes to nought.

AndyD 8-)
Are you trolling with that quote Andy???? Anyway I have risen to the bait
I think the idea of a museum was suggested previously but shelved.

I have always had mixed feelings about Kipling--a great writer and man, but a 'man of the time', when 'white men' genuinely thought themselves essentially superior to non-white 'natives', when non Christians were heathens (topical subject there!!)
A time when it was OK to loot/make use of other countries for their land/wealth as long as you 'helped' the poor of the "little tinted people" (Edna Everage quote)
Times have changed fortunately.
Our UK shelves contain most of Kiplings books ---I must re-read them.
Old Apr 11th 2015, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bipat
Are you trolling with that quote Andy????
Certainly not - I omitted the first verse didn't I?
... when it was OK to loot/make use of other countries for their land/wealth ...
Times have changed fortunately.
Really? have a look around, where things are bad they are worse than ever before, where countries are looted it is as bad as ever, the only thing that has changed is the list of players - John Bull exits stage left chased by a bear - and Uncle Sam (closely followed by the sons of Saud jousting with the heirs of Cyrus).
Our UK shelves contain most of Kiplings books ---I must re-read them.
Likewise.

It used to be possible to explain a 'man of his time' with the observation that the past is a foreign country. That argument loses its edge now that foreign is so much better known (and the past so little understood)!

AndyD 8-)

Last edited by a_f_d; Apr 11th 2015 at 4:46 pm.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Chameleons
The lady who cleans for us and her family were directed by their local panchayat in Porvorim to go to the mamlatdar where they were processed on April 9th, full fingerprinting and iris scanning. I downloaded their E-Aadhaar letters for them just over a month later. They didn't need to go anywhere else.

We went to the Panjim office next to The Captain of Ports in July of last year. The OH's card arrived on January 3rd and mine on September 3rd! Go figure, as the Americans would say!

Chameleons.
There is now an online site to locate your nearest Aadhaar enrolment centre - for North Goa it gives:
Office No - 311 Geras Imperium 1 Behind Kadamba Bus Stand, Patto Plaza, Panjim, Goa, Tiswadi, North Goa, Goa - 403001
The Supreme Court seems to be fighting a rearguard action against Aadhaar cards, but its latest ruling tips its hat to reality, in effect it says the cards can't be used for anything except the things (gas, kerosene, rations...) that it is already being used for!

AndyD 8-)
Old Aug 14th 2015, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

The house where Kipling was born is a bungalow in the grounds of JJ Art college near the High Court just along the road from The Regal Cinema.The last time i saw it, it was pretty dilapidated but intact.His fathers murals though are still adorning the outside of Crawford Market, although i wouldn't go in there now as its very dirty and full of rats.The pets area is dire....
Old Dec 12th 2015, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

In today's papers: CM Parsekar announced that senior babus who don't get to work on time will be docked half a day's pay -
Does he really think they go to work for the salary???

AndyD 8-)