Chennai

Old Dec 13th 2013, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Chennai

We are planning to go to Chennai for a few days next year. Have arranged the flight and that is all...has anyone been and what would you suggest we do and where to stay??? thanks...
Old Dec 13th 2013, 6:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chennai

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
We are planning to go to Chennai for a few days next year. Have arranged the flight and that is all...has anyone been and what would you suggest we do and where to stay??? thanks...
Are you planning to stay in a hotel? How many days stay? What sort of activities have you in mind? When next year? Climate more extreme than Goa.
Chennai has everything, It is my favorite big city.

(The airport not that great, but good prepaid taxis)
Old Dec 13th 2013, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

jcbrum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bipat
Are you planning to stay in a hotel? How many days stay? What sort of activities have you in mind? When next year? Climate more extreme than Goa.

Just arrived back from Bangkok and flew through Chennai considering it's a new International terminal the facilities are a joke it makes Dabolim look like Heathrow.

John
Old Dec 13th 2013, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Chennai

Yes we plan to stay in a hotel and we are there for three days in April. Have heard the airport is not so good.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

Its the worst city in India for development and i did not say that it was an Indian on India Mike next door.Was there last year and i can only say with 100% honesty its a complete dump.There is absolutely nothing to do but leave very quickly.....The airport is rubbish.The bus station the largest in India, is dirty and no one speaks English. Marine Drive, since the Tsunami, is lifeless.It used to be packed every night as most Chennaites enjoyed the sand and fresh air.I was first there over 25 years ago and i enjoyed it but since Madam Jayalitha took over nothing has happened except decay and lots of corruption of course.The only bit i did enjoy was the old English cemeteries and that was it.Tamil Nadu is a beautiful state but sadly Chennai has been let down by its government.Dirty, polluted and full of mosquitoes and its murder to get a drink when you need one, especially after trudging around pot holed streets looking for something to look at and then giving up ! Chris if this is your favourite Indian city what do you like about it as i am completely puzzled !
Old Dec 13th 2013, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by prestonjohn
Its the worst city in India for development and i did not say that it was an Indian on India Mike next door.Was there last year and i can only say with 100% honesty its a complete dump.There is absolutely nothing to do but leave very quickly.....The airport is rubbish.The bus station the largest in India, is dirty and no one speaks English. Marine Drive, since the Tsunami, is lifeless.It used to be packed every night as most Chennaites enjoyed the sand and fresh air.I was first there over 25 years ago and i enjoyed it but since Madam Jayalitha took over nothing has happened except decay and lots of corruption of course.The only bit i did enjoy was the old English cemeteries and that was it.Tamil Nadu is a beautiful state but sadly Chennai has been let down by its government.Dirty, polluted and full of mosquitoes and its murder to get a drink when you need one, especially after trudging around pot holed streets looking for something to look at and then giving up ! Chris if this is your favourite Indian city what do you like about it as i am completely puzzled !
Never been there so its not my favourite city..someone else said that! We are only staying a short time because we hate cities anywhere in the world but have got to see for ourselves. Will probably have the same feelings as you after three days!
Old Dec 13th 2013, 10:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

No one speaks English ?
Old Dec 13th 2013, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
No one speaks English ?
Less educated workers speak only Tamil, good class shops, hotels etc. people will know English. OH and self don't speak Tamil and have never had a problem.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The above is your opinion PJ. Mine (the post you quote) is different.
We have very close relatives living in Chennai, and other relatives who have lived there previously. I have visited there every 1 or 2 years since 1970. Last time Dec. 2011. If I were to live anywhere in India full time Chennai is where I would choose.
"Nothing to do"???? words fail.
The temples, churches, libraries, museums to visit. Shops of all types, modern, old, street stalls etc. The most beautiful (and expensive) sari shops in south India. Music festivals, multiscreen cinemas. Restaurants of all kinds, clean fast food shops (Indian veg.) Famous for 'Madras', coffee places.
Marine beach, is used for walking on and meeting friends, it is not safe for swimming. No, it is not like goa.

The only thing I can recognise in your post is the lack of easy access to alcohol if that is important to you. Some restaurants the bar area is separate and alcohol not served at tables.

Jayalalitha has always been a controversial figure, has had 3 separate terms as chief minister. B-inLaw calls her "the buffalo", main problem for locals is the habit of closing all the streets she passes through when she travels around.

Last edited by Bipat; Dec 13th 2013 at 2:08 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2013, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
Never been there so its not my favourite city..someone else said that! We are only staying a short time because we hate cities anywhere in the world but have got to see for ourselves. Will probably have the same feelings as you after three days!
Hope you enjoy yourself, I only know the domestic airport and that is not good, use the toilets on the plane before you land1!!!
Prepaid taxis are there. Traffic is heavy during peak times, but nothing like Mumbai and I find it less frightening than Margao!!

You will see from my above post that my views are quite different from PJs.
I am mostly familiar with T. Nagar district (where rels. live), the shops, markets and restaurants there have become popular with tourists.
Best thing is to decide which type of interests you have and look up where to find them on the travel-sites.

Sorry didn't take note of your second post. April will be very hot, average 35deg. Moving around during daytime for visiting places will be uncomfortable. Shops etc. will open late in evenings.

Last edited by Bipat; Dec 13th 2013 at 3:01 pm. Reason: Addition
Old Dec 13th 2013, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

jcbrum is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Bipat;11034811]Hope you enjoy yourself, I only know the domestic airport and that is not good, use the toilets on the plane before you land1!!!
Prepaid taxis are there. Traffic is heavy during peak times, but nothing like Mumbai and I find it less frightening than Margao!!

You will see from my above post that my views are quite different from PJs.
I am mostly familiar with T. Nagar district (where rels. live), the shops, markets and restaurants there have become popular with tourists.
Best thing is to decide which type of interests you have and look up where to find them on the travel-sites.

Sorry didn't take note of your second post. April will be very hot, average 35deg. Moving around during daytime for visiting places will be uncomfortable. Shops etc. will open late in evenings.[/QUOT

Re the airport,there is a new Domestic terminal at Chennai which is very modern but nothing much inside.

John
Old Dec 14th 2013, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

The Museum is such a load of crap its completely unacceptable in that the city authorities should be prosecuted for neglect and Bipat, it actually demonstrates that you have never been there at all.Churches yes, Chennai has lots of them but do tourists travel to Chennai to look at churches or come to that temples !
There is no night life at all and what there is very expensive and mostly allied to hotels.Shopping ! Found one shopping centre that was OK but that was it.
The city has been left behind in development terms by successive governments in Chennai who have concentrated what development there has been in gated communities outside the city proper.Central Chennai is a mess.The roads are full of pot holes and its completely polluted at night. Jayalitha should have been removed years ago for enriching herself and her relatives and girl friends ! Google Chennai/ complaints/ worst city in india and see what you get.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Museum is such a load of crap its completely unacceptable in that the city authorities should be prosecuted for neglect and Bipat, it actually demonstrates that you have never been there at all.Churches yes, Chennai has lots of them but do tourists travel to Chennai to look at churches or come to that temples !
There is no night life at all and what there is very expensive and mostly allied to hotels.Shopping ! Found one shopping centre that was OK but that was it.
The city has been left behind in development terms by successive governments in Chennai who have concentrated what development there has been in gated communities outside the city proper.Central Chennai is a mess.The roads are full of pot holes and its completely polluted at night. Jayalitha should have been removed years ago for enriching herself and her relatives and girl friends ! Google Chennai/ complaints/ worst city in india and see what you get.
As I said in above post it depends what you are interested in.
We don't go for night life, and alcohol, only visit restaurants with family.
Yes you are right, can't remember if we have been to any museums decades of visiting can't remember everything.
Most tourists I would think, would find San Thome church worth a visit, Sri Parthasarathi temple is beautiful.
Shopping I suppose you didn't know where to look, Spencers has deteriorated, Phoenix market city too modern for my taste.
T. Nagar as I said above has all types of shops and restaurants, have you been there? many tourists come there, I have seen bus loads.
(Rels. from Mumbai travel to Chennai to buy special silk saris, our daughters, wedding saris were bought there, worth a look at these shops for tourists).

I know you like Wikipedia--the following might be of interest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Chennai

The fact is you do not like the city, I and many others do.
We will see what Chrisjolly thinks (although he is going at the hottest time).

As an after thought, I wonder if you are trying view the city with the eyes of a 'foreign tourist' not as an expat with prior knowledge of India, which OP is.

Last edited by Bipat; Dec 14th 2013 at 7:07 am.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

As I said in above post it depends what you are interested in.
We don't go for night life, and alcohol, only visit restaurants with family.
Yes you are right, can't remember if we have been to any museums decades of visiting can't remember everything.
Most tourists I would think, would find San Thome church worth a visit, Sri Parthasarathi temple is beautiful.
Shopping I suppose you didn't know where to look, Spencers has deteriorated, Phoenix market city too modern for my taste.
T. Nagar as I said above has all types of shops and restaurants, have you been there? many tourists come there, I have seen bus loads.
(Rels. from Mumbai travel to Chennai to buy special silk saris, our daughters, wedding saris were bought there, worth a look at these shops for tourists).

I know you like Wikipedia--the following might be of interest.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Chennai

The fact is you do not like the city, I and many others do.
We will see what Chrisjolly thinks (although he is going at the hottest time).

As an after thought, I wonder if you are trying view the city with the eyes of a 'foreign tourist' not as an expat with prior knowledge of India, which OP is.
Thanks. Everyone's views are noted and no doubt will be useful. I am used to the heat as I live in Spain in the summer with temperatures most days of over 40! Looking forward to going but it is only a stopping off point on the way to singapore. Will report back!
Old Dec 15th 2013, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Bipat 25 years ago my friend and i visited Madras Museum to have a look at The Chola Bronzes, which in my opinion, are one of the wonders of the last 1000 years. Forged when Europe was still coming out of the Dark ages. We also spent hours looking at their collection of coins and medals and various religious statues.Last year we went back and after paying the obligatory 500 Rupees to get in discovered that had been removed to The National Museum in New Delhi because of concerns around their safety.It was then we discovered that most of the coins and some of the small statues had been either stolen or substituted for fakes.This is the legacy of the Jayalitha period where giving saris for votes is more important than preserving Tamil history.Intend to see them again after Christmas when we visit Delhi. I want to show my wife the 2 metre high statue of Krishna.Its so beautiful it takes your breath away. Google
Krishna chola bronze and have a look please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.