Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > India > Goa
Reload this Page >

Broadband speed, reliability and quality

Broadband speed, reliability and quality

Old Aug 18th 2014, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

zloty777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Broadband speed, reliability and quality

Hi,
I would like to ask about broadband. I know i can find info on ISPs website about the speed they offer. But from users I think it is more accurate? Is it reliable service and fast enough to watch lets say HD films and videos without lagging and buffering?
I know it depends if the electricity is in the sockets
Any answer from user living there will give me an idea about the service.
Many thanks
Darek
Old Aug 20th 2014, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Broadband speed, reliability and quality

Your choice is between a landline connection which will give around 2Mbs on good days and a cellphone dongle which will claim more than that but deliver less.
In my experience neither is fast enough for even SD television, landline connection (BSNL) is usually adequate for email and web browsing. Unless are in a position to buy your own property (which more or less means being a PIO) or can rent property that already has a landline connection then you are probably stuck with a mix of dongle and internet cafe wifi.

AndyD 8-)
Old Aug 21st 2014, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

You will never get high speed broadband in India unless you are lucky enough to live in a city with 4G mobile networks-then it might be a possibility.The only alternative is to download via a bit torrent site and then its only possible if some one up-loads it. As for live television they usually have restrictions on being accessed in other countries for copy right reasons.Most popular television programes are up-loaded to bit torrent sites and there are hundreds on the net.There are no restrictions in India to downloading films, football or soap serials, software....etc..I have no knowledge of how good or bad BSNL is but if its like any of the other mobile internet providers then forget it as it will be crap or even worse rubbish.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

a_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to beholda_f_d is a splendid one to behold

Following my post I have received an unsolicited email to my private email address from a firm offering fibre broadband in Candolim, Calangute and Sinquerim - an 8Mbps connection will set you back ₹7600 a month!

AndyD 8-)
Old Aug 21st 2014, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by a_f_d
Following my post I have received an unsolicited email to my private email address from a firm offering fibre broadband in Candolim, Calangute and Sinquerim - an 8Mbps connection will set you back ₹7600 a month!

AndyD 8-)
Wow that is good and cheap offer
What about other private message you should received couple days ago Andy?

Last edited by zloty777; Aug 21st 2014 at 2:32 pm. Reason: Gramma error
Old Aug 21st 2014, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by prestonjohn
You will never get high speed broadband in India unless you are lucky enough to live in a city with 4G mobile networks-then it might be a possibility.The only alternative is to download via a bit torrent site and then its only possible if some one up-loads it. As for live television they usually have restrictions on being accessed in other countries for copy right reasons.Most popular television programes are up-loaded to bit torrent sites and there are hundreds on the net.There are no restrictions in India to downloading films, football or soap serials, software....etc..I have no knowledge of how good or bad BSNL is but if its like any of the other mobile internet providers then forget it as it will be crap or even worse rubbish.
Thanks for replay.
The restrictions you mantioned about livestream tv are very easy to by-pass. However all i wanted to find out is if you can watch youtube, vevo and use other XBMC plugins in possibly realtime...
Darek
Old Aug 21st 2014, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

₹7600 = £76 = $125 = €95

NOT cheap! (I get more or less unlimited use at 1 - 2Mbps [which is pretty much all the line will carry] for around ₹950 a month from BSNL)

(- PM replied to a couple of days ago).

AndyD 8-)

Last edited by a_f_d; Aug 21st 2014 at 3:42 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Sorry you did not see '' at the end of first line in my previous post. In UK i currently pay £22.50 (around 2300INR) for just over 30Mbits. I know how much is 8000INR for goans up there...