Beginner's Guide?

Old Apr 8th 2016, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

NamesRob is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Beginner's Guide?

Is there a sort of beginner's guide with an overview ?

There are so many websites in the visa section alone, and google + youtube searches are so full on or complete opposite. I'm looking for a basic overview of 'moving to India' (Goa)

Straight to the point for newbie questions..

If there isn't one would someone in the know be up for writing one? I'm sure a sticky or a blog post on Google would help SO many people!!

Things you'll need
Things to do as soon as you get to Goa - what/where's good for necessities (phone, food, accommodation)
Weather/any other general advice

Logistic advice to living in Goa.. for example, I just watched a YouTube video with about 6 different people living separately in going, for all more than 6 months. All I am finding is 6 month visas and information saying you cannot stay more than 6 months. Can you cross the border and come back?

Please..I'm getting really frustrated at the lack of a clear concise overview of what the situation is in Goa.

This is a move I'm considering as I run a start up business (online) and looking to cut costs, so trying to find overviews of options

Cheers!
Old Apr 8th 2016, 11:18 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Beginner's Guide?

Hello. Just to say Welcome to the forum

As you can see, I don't live anywhere near Goa, so cannot help you out. Maybe someone in Goa will be along soon, but I don't think you will find too many expats actually "living" in Goa full time. Folks mainly go for holidays.

Your first stop might be to read through the Visa topic.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NamesRob
Is there a sort of beginner's guide with an overview ?

There are so many websites in the visa section alone, and google + youtube searches are so full on or complete opposite. I'm looking for a basic overview of 'moving to India' (Goa)

Straight to the point for newbie questions..

If there isn't one would someone in the know be up for writing one? I'm sure a sticky or a blog post on Google would help SO many people!!

Things you'll need
Things to do as soon as you get to Goa - what/where's good for necessities (phone, food, accommodation)
Weather/any other general advice

Logistic advice to living in Goa.. for example, I just watched a YouTube video with about 6 different people living separately in going, for all more than 6 months. All I am finding is 6 month visas and information saying you cannot stay more than 6 months. Can you cross the border and come back?

Please..I'm getting really frustrated at the lack of a clear concise overview of what the situation is in Goa.

This is a move I'm considering as I run a start up business (online) and looking to cut costs, so trying to find overviews of options

Cheers!
I think the answer--- is first to ask about yourself!
As you say--- "moving to India". Goa is just one Indian State why are you choosing Goa? How much time have you spent in India?
As you say the first thing to think about is a visa. Are you of Indian origin?
If not, a tourist visa is usually for 6 months. But regardless of whether you get one for longer later on, 180 days is the limit of any one stay.
Renewing from a near country; others will help (as I have an OCI visa).
Old Apr 9th 2016, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

so there is no beginner's guide then
Old Apr 9th 2016, 3:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

There are numerous guide books about India and any of the individual States, also on-line descriptions.

As I said, to answer your questions, some back ground is needed about yourself.

If you have never been!! then the absolute, definite advice is to book a short holiday and visit the places you are thinking of staying in.

Any specific detailed questions, posters here will try to answer. As I said above start with your previous experience and visa questions.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

which book would you recommend?
Old Apr 9th 2016, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

which book would you recommend?
I am sorry I can't, as I have lived in India (Karnataka, South of Goa) for decades on and off, so do not read them.
I am beginning to suspect you have never been to India and have no connections, correct me if wrong!
There is no alternative to reading all you can get your hands on about all the States of India and take a short holiday/tour. Ask here any specific queries.

Good luck
Old Apr 9th 2016, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

what a waste of time
Old Apr 9th 2016, 4:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

what a waste of time
With respect, I have tried to help, (taking my time). Others who happen to read your post later will do also. If you refuse to give any information about what experience you already have, it is difficult to give any specific advice.

(Would you know a single book giving a foreigner all they need to know about living in the UK when they had never been there before?)
Old Apr 9th 2016, 11:29 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

what a waste of time
Yes you are correct. My post #2 replying to you maybe was a waste of time. I don't know. But I have a lot of time to give to others, so it's what we all do.

Hope you find what you are looking for in life.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

what a waste of time
Being as rude as you are you deserve less . Yet here goes

Many expats rock up to Candolim,(try google) Get booked in at the Donna Alcina(try google). Once at the Donna Alcina ask about long term lets of some of the apartments they have there, very very basic and privately owned by people who bought them as investments and always have difficulty in letting them out. This can give you a base for about 100$ us a month in rent plus you cover the bills.

Get a 6 months visa, if they will issue it, improved manners may help. The bus service in Goa is very good, chaotic but is does cover all of the state and if you are prepared to mix it with the locals it is a cheap and interesting method of getting around.

Ensure you have a torch with extra batteries as power cuts often occur and at night the street lighting does not exist so missing the water buffalo camped out in the street can be a trial.

Goans see themselves as Goan first and second, Indian as a last resort. Very heavy Christian RC with churches overflowing on a Sunday morning.

Never forget you are a guest
Old Apr 9th 2016, 11:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

Sorry no there isn't.

what a waste of time
Sorry you think you're wasting our time. We give our time freely and help hundreds/thousands of people. We do this because we enjoy helping people who actually appreciate our help.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 10th 2016 at 12:22 am. Reason: Typo
Old Apr 11th 2016, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

danbushell is an unknown quantity at this point

Make use of other sites such as Indiamike.com.
Also there are many groups on Facebook including
South Goa Community
Goa Hippie Tribe
Arambol Community
Meet and Greet In Goa-The Alternative To TA.
have a look through some of these groups and you should get lots of advice.
If your applying for a tourist visa in UK you can apply for a visa valid up to 1 year or up to 5 years. With each of these you still have to leave the country after 180 days.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

prestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond reputeprestonjohn has a reputation beyond repute

The Goans are very tolerant people up to a point, like the rest of India really. Its one of the reasons i like the place.They can and do get the hump but in general
its live and let live. Candolim is a good place to learn the ropes of living in a country of 1.3 billion people.There are no DIY books like The Idiots Guide to Living in Goa. as the previous post suggested get yourself a room or an apartment, have a look at Owners Abroad web site but i suggest go for a guest house because at the end of the day you might not like the place. i have seen it happen time and time again. people generate ideas that India is a place in the clouds and then the reality drops on their plate that its not all what they thought. and they scarper back to Mumbia and the airport as fast as there money allows.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by prestonjohn
The Goans are very tolerant people up to a point, like the rest of India really. Its one of the reasons i like the place.They can and do get the hump but in general
its live and let live. Candolim is a good place to learn the ropes of living in a country of 1.3 billion people.There are no DIY books like The Idiots Guide to Living in Goa. as the previous post suggested get yourself a room or an apartment, have a look at Owners Abroad web site but i suggest go for a guest house because at the end of the day you might not like the place. i have seen it happen time and time again. people generate ideas that India is a place in the clouds and then the reality drops on their plate that its not all what they thought. and they scarper back to Mumbia and the airport as fast as there money allows.
Also every State is different regarding religions, countryside, architecture, language, dress, cuisine, wealth, politics (particularly politics!)
Coastal Goa is very much a tourist area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.