Reload this Page >

Working at Frankfurt's banking sector

Working at Frankfurt's banking sector

Old Jan 19th 2017, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Renia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Working at Frankfurt's banking sector

Hi

Does anyone work in Frankfurt's banking sector? How do you find it as an expat? Is it multi cultural like London? What about salaries and bonuses?
Also, is German the business language and do foreigners/expats have the oportunity for career progression?

Many thanks
Old Jan 19th 2017, 1:27 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working at Frankfurt's banking sector

Originally Posted by Renia
Hi

Does anyone work in Frankfurt's banking sector? How do you find it as an expat? Is it multi cultural like London? What about salaries and bonuses?
Also, is German the business language and do foreigners/expats have the oportunity for career progression?

Many thanks
Hi, I think that any one with experience would have already replied in your earlier thread!
Whether German is the business language or not, you would still be advised to learn the language for day-to-day living and coping with Administrations.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Renia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, I think that any one with experience would have already replied in your earlier thread!
Whether German is the business language or not, you would still be advised to learn the language for day-to-day living and coping with Administrations.
Hi,

Thanks for the response.
Yes learning German is absolutely fine. At the end of the day it's an additional skill
Was wondering how life in frankfurt compares to London with regards to banking careers.
Here the environment is multicultural. Is it the same in Frankfurt or is the majority Germans? Not that anything is wrong with that, it's just easier to adjust when there are other expats around. Also is it so lively and vibrant as London?

Thanks
Old Jan 19th 2017, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks for the response.
Yes learning German is absolutely fine. At the end of the day it's an additional skill
Was wondering how life in frankfurt compares to London with regards to banking careers.
Here the environment is multicultural. Is it the same in Frankfurt or is the majority Germans? Not that anything is wrong with that, it's just easier to adjust when there are other expats around. Also is it so lively and vibrant as London?

Thanks

Haven't lived in London but worked in and around Frankfurt. I don't think there's any comparison to London from what I've seen and you might find it pretty boring. It's spread out and while you have some nice walks along the river, new developments, there are some dodgy parts and I'd say many people/bankers live outside the city.

I'd also say there are more Germans working there who already have their own life, so it might be harder to make friends.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 1:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Thanks

Haven't lived in London but worked in and around Frankfurt. I don't think there's any comparison to London from what I've seen and you might find it pretty boring. It's spread out and while you have some nice walks along the river, new developments, there are some dodgy parts and I'd say many people live outside the city.

I'd also say there are more Germans working there who already have their own life, so it might be harder to make friends.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Haven't lived in London but worked in and around Frankfurt. I don't think there's any comparison to London from what I've seen and you might find it pretty boring. It's spread out and while you have some nice walks along the river, new developments, there are some dodgy parts and I'd say many people live outside the city.

No comparison to London. Majority of staff is German. I would never want to return to Germany to work (very conservative) although I speak the language fluently. As a foreigner I was never fully accepted. Salary would have to be very attractive to work in Frankfurt.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
No comparison to London. Majority of staff is German. I would never want to return to Germany to work (very conservative) although I speak the language fluently. As a foreigner I was never fully accepted. Salary would have to be very attractive to work in Frankfurt.
I wouldn't be classed as a foreigner in Germany, but I totally understand you. I really can't comment on banking sector but Frankfurt was never seen as a place for Expats. Yes, you have all sorts of nationalties (Turkish, Italian, Albanian etc.) but they don't always mix and Germans come to work and go home to their own friends outside of work. The guy living in Bad Vilbel won't stick around after work to drink a few pints like it is in London.

Outside of Frankfurt you have a lot on offer when it comes to cycling and places to visit. However, I was always glad to get out of the place as quickly as possible and also had friends where I lived 50km's away.
Even when it comes to salaries, Brutto & Netto can be a huge difference, so some might be shocked what they end up with when 40% is taken away. I work with a lot of Germans here in Ireland and many hated the work culture. London or even Dublin are far better choices. Hamburg seems to be a lot better but probably not great for banking.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

None of the cities in Germany is a "Weltstadt" like London.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
None of the cities in Germany is a "Weltstadt" like London.
Best place to live is Munich. But it cannot be compared to London. Totally different.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
Best place to live is Munich. But it cannot be compared to London. Totally different.
Not a bad city but wouldn't say it's the best place to live and depends on the person. There are plenty of other cities in Germany that might offer something to someone.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

My friends son (works in International banking) moved to Munich with his job; at the time (a few years ago) he said it was OK, but nothing like London. He managed to get a move to Switzerland pretty soon afterwards, maybe that's a place to consider?
Old Jan 20th 2017, 10:45 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cynic
My friends son (works in International banking) moved to Munich with his job; at the time (a few years ago) he said it was OK, but nothing like London. He managed to get a move to Switzerland pretty soon afterwards, maybe that's a place to consider?
Not a bad idea, to try for a place with the Gnomes of Zürich.
But the OP would have to learn Schwyzerdütsch for every-day living, although Hochdeutsch is understood there!!
Old Jan 20th 2017, 10:52 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Not a bad idea, to try for a place with the Gnomes of Zürich.
But the OP would have to learn Schwyzerdütsch for every-day living, although Hochdeutsch is understood there!!
It's not hard to understand if you already speak German. A bit like an extreme Welsh accent in English.

I once had an American postdoc working for me in Germany who had learned the language in Zurich. That was funny.
Old Jan 20th 2017, 11:58 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
It's not hard to understand if you already speak German. A bit like an extreme Welsh accent in English.

I once had an American postdoc working for me in Germany who had learned the language in Zurich. That was funny.
I know, I worked in 2ürich in another life. I had the shock of my life on arriving at Kloten, thinking I'd got on the wrong plane, but after a while I was Chuechichäschli'ing and chäschuechli'ing with the best of them....
My point was that the OPs don't speak Hochdeutsch to help matters....