Reload this Page >

Work in Freiburg

Work in Freiburg

Old Jun 19th 2009, 5:27 am
Just Joined

KevMc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work in Freiburg

Hi all,

Apologies to repeat an old and ever-recurring topic - I know people must get bored of this question. I'm currently living in China and am soon to be moving to Freiburg to live with my girlfriend.
I've been looking on forums throughout Germany to see what's about, and the harsh reality that Freiburg has very little in the way of jobs is starting to set in.
I've had experience working for HMRC in UK, and am currently managing a UK Trade company supplying the UK supermarkets with goods from here. However, my girlfriend still has several years left at Uni, and in the interest of not living in China by myself for the next 2-3 years, I've decided to give up the job and join her in Freiburg.

To be honest, I've thought of starting up my own operation, but I'd appreciate opinions from perhaps expats who have tried this themselves?

Also, does anyone know of any sourcing companies within the Baden-Wurttemberg region? I've so far found two. I've "cold-called" them with my CV.

As a "stop gap", I have previously managed to organise private tutoring - in my early days in China - so figured this could well be possible. I will admit I don't have a TEFL certificate, as it was never strictly enforced here. I'm presuming it is in Germany? Will this prevent the tutoring aspect (I have BA hons)? The experience was why I initially went to China btw, getting a job to teach in Zhejiang University, and training to do so.

I know it's a long shot, but any thought/comments/opinions harsh or hopeful, will be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Kev
Old Jun 19th 2009, 5:44 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Work in Freiburg

Also, as an afterthought, I've signed up at the Sprackenkolleg in Freiburg for a 3 month course.
Studied in school, enjoyed the language, and got good grades, but then trying to speak to my girlfriend, she informed me, that even the simplest parts of my pronunciation were off - "Ich" etc. So have decided to do it properly and get stuck in.

I'm also proficient at shouting commands in Mandarin.

Fully attempting to immerse myself in the culture and make an effort here.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 3:36 am
Just Joined

teaks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KevMc
Also, as an afterthought, I've signed up at the Sprackenkolleg in Freiburg for a 3 month course.
Studied in school, enjoyed the language, and got good grades, but then trying to speak to my girlfriend, she informed me, that even the simplest parts of my pronunciation were off - "Ich" etc. So have decided to do it properly and get stuck in.

I'm also proficient at shouting commands in Mandarin.

Fully attempting to immerse myself in the culture and make an effort here.
Hi Kevin,

At the moment I'm not much help in terms of job search. I am, however, moving to Freiburg soon for work and am trying to meet others and find a decent area to live in. I'm in mid-20s. When are you moving? Do you know any other good forums for Freiburg?
Old Jun 21st 2009, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Hi Teaks,

Apparently can't do PM's here unless I've done 3 posts, so be expecting that now. After this.

Cheers,

Kev
Old Jun 21st 2009, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Looks like I have to write a few more posts as well.

post 2
Old Jun 21st 2009, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by teaks
Looks like I have to write a few more posts as well.

post 2
post 3
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:19 pm
Perfer et obdura

Location: Birmingham 26 years, Germany 20 years, in Toronto since 2015
anglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond repute

MIght be able to help you as far as the stop gap is concerned; I didn't have a TEFL certificate but I was Head of English at the Schulungscenter Foley and International Business School in Friedrichring for a while. They were constantly on the lookout for native English speakers with teaching and business experience. Try here:

www.schulungscenter.de

www.f-ibs.de

Job applications are handled in the same office, so you don't have to apply twice.

The Volkshochschule is also always on the lookout for English teachers. You can offer coaching on the notice board of the university's "Anglistik" department, and at the Fachhochschule. There are other language institutions in Freiburg too - although I'd be a bit wary of Berlitz, low pay and they force you to teach using strictly their own method.

Hope that helps
Old Jul 7th 2009, 11:33 am
Just Joined

bethan58 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KevMc
Hi all,

Apologies to repeat an old and ever-recurring topic - I know people must get bored of this question. I'm currently living in China and am soon to be moving to Freiburg to live with my girlfriend.
I've been looking on forums throughout Germany to see what's about, and the harsh reality that Freiburg has very little in the way of jobs is starting to set in.
I've had experience working for HMRC in UK, and am currently managing a UK Trade company supplying the UK supermarkets with goods from here. However, my girlfriend still has several years left at Uni, and in the interest of not living in China by myself for the next 2-3 years, I've decided to give up the job and join her in Freiburg.

To be honest, I've thought of starting up my own operation, but I'd appreciate opinions from perhaps expats who have tried this themselves?

Also, does anyone know of any sourcing companies within the Baden-Wurttemberg region? I've so far found two. I've "cold-called" them with my CV.

As a "stop gap", I have previously managed to organise private tutoring - in my early days in China - so figured this could well be possible. I will admit I don't have a TEFL certificate, as it was never strictly enforced here. I'm presuming it is in Germany? Will this prevent the tutoring aspect (I have BA hons)? The experience was why I initially went to China btw, getting a job to teach in Zhejiang University, and training to do so.

I know it's a long shot, but any thought/comments/opinions harsh or hopeful, will be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Kev
HI Kevin,

I don't see any problem with giving private English lessons in Germany without certification - unless you plan to do it large-scale. I give private English lessons (mostly individuals) from home. I'm a Brit temporarily in Germany because my Mum lives here.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

ktr18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

I moved here a year ago (spent my exchange year here, graduated and came back) and was also faced with this harsh reality! even though I speak fluent german and french i still couldnt find anything. However, by far your best bet would be to work in Basel - I do it now and it's fantastic. So many people live in Freiburg and work in Basel. Train connections are brilliant (around 35 - 45 mins, depending which station u go to) and of course, you earn a Swiss wage. To top that off, there are a huge number of English-speaking companies based there in all different fields. I seriously recommend you look for something there. Pretty confident you will find something.

Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions on working there.
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

TinkerFreiburg is an unknown quantity at this point

1st post for PM. Apologies
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

2nd
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Final
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

warrigal is an unknown quantity at this point

first post
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

so americans can get into germany with no problems
Old Nov 16th 2009, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ktr18
Hi there

I moved here a year ago (spent my exchange year here, graduated and came back) and was also faced with this harsh reality! even though I speak fluent german and french i still couldnt find anything. However, by far your best bet would be to work in Basel - I do it now and it's fantastic. So many people live in Freiburg and work in Basel. Train connections are brilliant (around 35 - 45 mins, depending which station u go to) and of course, you earn a Swiss wage. To top that off, there are a huge number of English-speaking companies based there in all different fields. I seriously recommend you look for something there. Pretty confident you will find something.

Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions on working there.

can you provide any information on swiss work in the open forum, i need something onarrival europe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.