Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

UK-Germany-UK-Germany - anyone else?

UK-Germany-UK-Germany - anyone else?

Old Sep 17th 2014, 9:23 am
Just Joined

johnab is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK-Germany-UK-Germany - anyone else?

You are right, although the minimum qualification is a point to note. That could affect the 2 years in Denmark, from which I would get a company pension.

Even with rising prices, Berlin is very unlike most cities in Europe - which is why it has been such an attraction to live over the past few decades. Check out this comparison between London and Berlin:

Cost of Living Comparison Between London, United Kingdom And Berlin, Germany
Old Sep 17th 2014, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calman014
A lot of money has been pumped into the former "East", it has great Autobahns (in most cases better than in the west) good transport links and lots of building going on as well as major investment in infrastructure.
Like the BER Flughafen
Old Sep 17th 2014, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Berlin is still cheap. It certainly has a lot to offer - coming close to London in terms of art, culture and history. But it is a lot more relaxed and much, much, much cheaper. It is not a good city for careers in the financial area but good for artist and the self-employed. Late mornings are a standard in Berlin. It is also a comparatively green city with easy access to many lakes and rivers because the S-Bahn doesn't stop at the city boundary.

BTW, I moved from Germany to the US, from the US to the UK, back to the US, from there to Berlin, from Berlin to Auckland, and back again to Berlin. All good if you have a sought after profession (which I don't have.. so no more moving for me ). Enjoy the move. Enjoy Berlin

Last edited by Assanah; Sep 17th 2014 at 5:35 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

johnab is an unknown quantity at this point

That's quite an odyssey, more than ours. At least you get very good at packing and knowing what to throw away...