British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Germany (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/)
-   -   Trains into Munich (commuter) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/trains-into-munich-commuter-901005/)

JJ_Lee Aug 1st 2017 3:10 pm

Trains into Munich (commuter)

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Nuremberg in a few weeks and have been offered work in Munich. Does anyone know if other people make this commute or even could tell me if there is an affordable option on the trains.

I'm aware the commute is roughly an hour but the prices are very high so was wondering how other people manage to do it when they commute into the city.

Thanks for your help.

J

Assanah Aug 2nd 2017 4:58 am

Re: Trains into Munich (commuter)

I am not sure if people here can help you. Because there are few active expats on a here that actually live in Germany. There is another community that has an active section about Southern Germany. It is called toytown Germany. I would recommend to ask there as well. Good luck with your move.

Long commutes are a hassle though. Do you consider moving closer to Munich eventually?

JJ_Lee Aug 2nd 2017 8:46 am

Thanks Assanah, I'll give that other group a go. We're moving to Nuremberg due to my girlfriends work so unlikely to be moving to Munich in the near future.

Thanks a lot for your help

J

scrubbedexpat0105 Aug 2nd 2017 1:48 pm

If you want to be able to use express trains, an annual season ticket will cost you from €4,190. If there were a significantly cheaper way of doing it, I doubt DB would sell many season tickets.

For the sake of comparison: it's exactly the same distance (and train journey time) as Birmingham New Street to Watford Junction, for which – according to a brief search – a season ticket would cost approx. €6,260 at the current exchange rate.

The journey is roughly 70 minutes (each way) between the two main stations. (That's a polite way of saying that by the time you've added in the journey to and from the stations, you're probably travelling three hours a day and won't be seeing much of your girlfriend.)

Ingolstadt is half way between Nuremberg and Munich in terms of both time and distance; if the Munich job is to be long term, in your shoes I'd consider moving to Ingolstadt with your girlfriend and both commuting from there.

Accommodation in Munich is notoriously expensive.

dmu Aug 3rd 2017 7:25 am

Originally Posted by Watchpost (Post 12307685)

For the sake of comparison: it's exactly the same distance (and train journey time) as Birmingham New Street to Watford Junction,

The journey is roughly 70 minutes (each way) between the two main stations. (That's a polite way of saying that by the time you've added in the journey to and from the stations, you're probably travelling three hours a day and won't be seeing much of your girlfriend.)

Ingolstadt is half way between Nuremberg and Munich in terms of both time and distance; if the Munich job is to be long term, in your shoes I'd consider moving to Ingolstadt with your girlfriend and both commuting from there.

Accommodation in Munich is notoriously expensive.

+1
Good comparison. The same would apply anywhere - living with girlfriend in Montelimar, France, and with a job in Marseille, for example, would be considered an expensive, tiring no-life.
Would your gf consider living in Munich and commuting to Nuremberg?
If not, either find a job in or near Nuremberg, or as suggested, both live in a town inbetween.