Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Germany

Thinking of moving to Germany

Old Jan 14th 2012, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Ryan.W is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to Germany

Hi,

I am Soon to turn 18 and am currently living in england although i was originally born in Munich, Germany.
When i Turn 18 in May i am thinking of moving back to Germany and was wondering if anyone has any advice for me on securing work and where in germany would be the best place to go. I currently do not speak german but hope to go to some language classes to learn it.
Any Advice on how i would go about getting myself set up in germany, and maybe a british agency i could go through for work would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Ryan !
Old Mar 17th 2012, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

fidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond reputefidobsa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Germany

You could start by contacting a few youth hostels to see if they would give you free accomodation in exchange for a few hours a day work. This would enable you to take your time deciding if you will be happy in Germany and give you some spare time to look for a proper job.
Old Apr 18th 2012, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, I am kind of hoping to find some work before coming over think it would be easier for me. Are you in Germany yourself ?
Old Apr 21st 2012, 9:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ryan.W
Hi,

I am Soon to turn 18 and am currently living in england although i was originally born in Munich, Germany.
Out of interest, is one of your parents German? That would possibly mean that you are a German citizen although you would need to consider if there is a military service obligation in Germany.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

My dad was born in Germany due to my Grandad being based over there when in the armed forces, But he is not a German Citizen either.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 9:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
Out of interest, is one of your parents German? That would possibly mean that you are a German citizen although you would need to consider if there is a military service obligation in Germany.
Compulsory military service has been suspended in Germany and is unlikely to be reintroduced in the foreseeable future (and certainly not at short notice).

There is a new, voluntary service arrangement in civil roles that is also open to non-German citizens, see: www.bundes-freiwilligendienst.de/fragen.html. Payment is very modest but if the employer helps with finding cheap accommodation, it might be enough to live on.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Watchpost
Compulsory military service has been suspended in Germany and is unlikely to be reintroduced in the foreseeable future (and certainly not at short notice).
Well thats a relief ! I was thinking of maybe NAAFI for a while seens as thats definately going to be english speaking. I know they are in Paderborn and Hohne so thats an option at least. I would prefer to find something in IT though but a lot of it seems to be German & English speaking ... Best get practicing German !
Old Apr 30th 2012, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

gryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nicegryff31 is just really nice

Try toytown website.. its for Brits in Germany.. it has a job section so that may help, definitely look at learning the language before you come.
Old May 4th 2012, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Woodwa5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Ryan,

my advice to you if you don't speak German is to try the big Cities. They are always going to be best for the hospitality industry anyway, I would be looking somewhere like Berlin, which is extremely cosmopolitan.

Gary,
Old May 5th 2012, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Does anyone know any recruitment agencies ? and if joining one would be a good idea ? Theres surely british agencies around ?