Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Thinking of leaving for germany

Thinking of leaving for germany

Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of
Default Thinking of leaving for germany

Hubby is scanning for jobs in Germany...its crazy what you get for you money over there on housing.
You get a palace for the price of a semi here...would rather find a solution to stay in the UK because of the kids, but when push comes to shove,we might go
Old Feb 26th 2007, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of leaving for germany

Are you sure you are posting in the correct forum?
Old Feb 26th 2007, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Are you sure you are posting in the correct forum?
Yes, because we only back in the UK since a couple of month
Old Feb 26th 2007, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

lil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nice

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Hubby is scanning for jobs in Germany...its crazy what you get for you money over there on housing.
You get a palace for the price of a semi here...would rather find a solution to stay in the UK because of the kids, but when push comes to shove,we might go
Do you all speak the german language fluently?
Old Feb 26th 2007, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lil_ol_wine_drinker_me
Do you all speak the german language fluently?
No..only me..Hubby would work in an English speaking job again and Kids probably at an international school again..that why we wanted to be in the uk..so we all can integrate..thinking of Bonn in Germany..but would still try a couple month more to stay and make it over here..its a shame its almost impossible to live here
Old Feb 26th 2007, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

Try this site:

http://www.toytowngermany.com/forum/
Old Feb 26th 2007, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

lil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nice

No..only me..Hubby would work in an English speaking job again and Kids probably at an international school again..that why we wanted to be in the uk..so we all can integrate..thinking of Bonn in Germany..but would still try a couple month more to stay and make it over here..its a shame its almost impossible to live here
Before moving over there I would make sure the whole family are fluent in the German language both written and spoken, although most Germans do speak English many choose not to if the effort is not made to speak their language. If your kids are young they should pick it up easily. Never been to Bonn, but Germany is a fantastic country.
Old Feb 27th 2007, 7:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Before moving over there I would make sure the whole family are fluent in the German language both written and spoken, although most Germans do speak English many choose not to if the effort is not made to speak their language. If your kids are young they should pick it up easily. Never been to Bonn, but Germany is a fantastic country.
I know..I'm German still I like england,,just not were I live and I don't like the house prices
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

I know..I'm German still I like england,,just not were I live and I don't like the house prices
You should have no trouble getting your kids bilingual then! lol. I love Germany especially all the gorgeous little villages along the Rhine etc. Is Bonn your home town?
Old Feb 27th 2007, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

You should have no trouble getting your kids bilingual then! lol. I love Germany especially all the gorgeous little villages along the Rhine etc. Is Bonn your home town?
No..but close....I love all the little English villages and all the historic stuff over here
Old Feb 28th 2007, 8:34 pm
Banned

JohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud ofJohnStang has much to be proud of

I thought about living in Germany for some time. But my family live in America. How is life in Germany? I am also tired of life in England. It is very expensive here and people can be rather rude. Are people nicer in Germany? I still have not yet been but I would like to visit.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JohnStang
I thought about living in Germany for some time. But my family live in America. How is life in Germany? I am also tired of life in England. It is very expensive here and people can be rather rude. Are people nicer in Germany? I still have not yet been but I would like to visit.
You find the people over here rude? I don't know if Germany would be the place for you..Germans are not really rude but they tell you what they think right out
Some people consider this rude,,had some trouble with this myself
I'm not tired of life over here..just would like to live in an different area, where we would be able to buy a house..lets see what will happen within the next couple month..
Lots of Americans love Germany we not go over for a visit?
Old Mar 7th 2007, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Hi,

I worked in Germany for 6 months a couple of years ago. Germany is one fo the few "old europe" countries not to have a huge property boom.

Which part are you looking at?

Also, the language barrier, I would recommend your husband tries to learn at least the basics before he goes. If he learns how the grammar works he should manage ok. Some Germans do seem to take offence that you don't speak the language, even if you are there on holiday. I'm fairly sure they are just speaking their mind though, more so than people in other countries.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 7:35 am
Perfer et obdura

Location: Birmingham 26 years, Germany 20 years, in Toronto since 2015
anglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond reputeanglogerman has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, as a British expat who has been living in Germany for nearly 12 years, I'm a bit puzzled.

You can get a palace in Germany for the price of a British semi? Are we talking about the same country? I suppose that when converted, the prices do look quite attractive, but don't forget that a typical salary won't look so great when converted into GBP. And the deductions from your gross salary are huge. My DH's net salary is two-thirds of his gross salary, which is still fairly good. As for me, my tax category (which I can't change because of being a freelancer) means that I pay nearly 50% in income tax, plus a fat sum for health insurance, and then there's social and pension insurance on top. Plus VAT has just been increased to 19%...

Living space is at a premium (unless you go to the former GDR). If you start out by renting, you must expect to pay a deposit of 2 or 3 months rent plus possibly another 2 month's rent as commission for the "Makler" (estate agent). And the competition for flats and houses is huge. Make sure you take plenty of liquid funds with you when you go - you'll need them.

As for people being polite - in Bavaria at least, I have found people to be the epitome of politeness and friendliness. Admittedly we live in a rural area. I have noticed that if you go to Munich and say "Guten Tag" to everyone you pass, as is standard practice here in the country, they are likely to look at you as if you were threatening to attack them. But rude?? No.
On reflection, I think the Germans are simply more direct. If something annoys them, they'll say so. I really notice the difference when going back to the UK. Where a British person would say "I'm not sure if that's right", meaning "You're talking cr*p", the German is more likely to say "You're talking cr*p" . Depends on your personal response, I think. Personally, I prefer the direct approach.

One thing I do agree with: learn as much of the language as you can before you go. Otherwise you may find yourself feeling extremely isolated.

If I can help you any more, please send me a PM.

Heather

Last edited by anglogerman; Apr 15th 2007 at 7:39 am.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond reputeDeedee13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anglogerman
Actually, as a British expat who has been living in Germany for nearly 12 years, I'm a bit puzzled.

You can get a palace in Germany for the price of a British semi? Are we talking about the same country? I suppose that when converted, the prices do look quite attractive, but don't forget that a typical salary won't look so great when converted into GBP. And the deductions from your gross salary are huge. My DH's net salary is two-thirds of his gross salary, which is still fairly good. As for me, my tax category (which I can't change because of being a freelancer) means that I pay nearly 50% in income tax, plus a fat sum for health insurance, and then there's social and pension insurance on top. Plus VAT has just been increased to 19%...

Living space is at a premium (unless you go to the former GDR). If you start out by renting, you must expect to pay a deposit of 2 or 3 months rent plus possibly another 2 month's rent as commission for the "Makler" (estate agent). And the competition for flats and houses is huge. Make sure you take plenty of liquid funds with you when you go - you'll need them.

As for people being polite - in Bavaria at least, I have found people to be the epitome of politeness and friendliness. Admittedly we live in a rural area. I have noticed that if you go to Munich and say "Guten Tag" to everyone you pass, as is standard practice here in the country, they are likely to look at you as if you were threatening to attack them. But rude?? No.
On reflection, I think the Germans are simply more direct. If something annoys them, they'll say so. I really notice the difference when going back to the UK. Where a British person would say "I'm not sure if that's right", meaning "You're talking cr*p", the German is more likely to say "You're talking cr*p" . Depends on your personal response, I think. Personally, I prefer the direct approach.

One thing I do agree with: learn as much of the language as you can before you go. Otherwise you may find yourself feeling extremely isolated.

If I can help you any more, please send me a PM.

Heather
the price of a palace is the same as a semi?? Crazy!!! I was paying for a 80 quadradmeter flat with all utilities 1000 euros a month. And that was out in the sticks!! Ok the prices are going down as the economy goes to the dogs. I decided to leave because I was worried about the kids getting a job after leaving school. The unemployment is terrible, and go to grammer school and then end up putting milk in the fridges at the local supermarket. I think u need to do ur homework before leaving the security of what u have. Tax classes are different than in the UK. If ur married and both working u will be slammed!!! Lose ur job and live on 300 pounds a month because u wont be getting anything else. The cost of living has doubled since the Euro came in. The kids will be ok in the school but there is not a system for kids to learn german unless u go private and get extra lessons. The kids could be put back a school year . Health system is a lot better than uk and usa.

people are polite, they keep themselves to themselves. Family tradition and get togethers cause heavy agendas. German is easy to learn if u live in the community and mix with the locals.

Same as previous if u need more info pm me.

dee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.