Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

satellite TV in Germany

satellite TV in Germany

Old Sep 6th 2001, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Lydia is an unknown quantity at this point

I've recently moved to Munich and am sad to admit I'm missing TV already! Does anyone have any advise on getting Sky TV here. I'm looking to receive the BBC channels, Sky One - and basically anything I used to be able to get on Sky Digital in the UK.
Old Sep 6th 2001, 12:34 pm
Ingeborg Denner

Lydia wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Get a sattelite dish and a reciever. If your landlord doesn't want a dish on the
balcony (looks ugly), argue that you need to get TV in your native language.

inge

--
I used to drive a Heisenbergmobile, but every time I looked at the speedometer,
I got lost.
===
<http://home.foni.net/~lyorn> -- Stories, RPG & stuff.

Old Sep 6th 2001, 1:09 pm
Derek Fisher

Lydia wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >

You poor sod! 150+ channels of English/American cr*p and you want to get it back?

I'm sure Sky customer service(?) can advise you as to its availablity. There are also
quite a few English channels on German cable networks.

I'm trying to find out how I can get the German digital channels on my set, like
before in the good old analogue days, when there's nothing but garbage on the English
channels (i.e. most of the time).

Derek
--
If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.

This post represents the views of the author and does not necessarily accurately
represent the views of my employer.

Old Sep 6th 2001, 1:47 pm
Siena

>
TV
    >
I'm looking
    >
used to
    >
    >

Legally you cannot get a SKY subscription outside of the UK. But that is just a
minor hurdle.

First thing to do is to check out uk.media.tv.sky (also in USENET) as they have a few
people there who sell digi boxes.

Next, see if you can get someone in the UK top buy you a box and get a card (but not
to enable it). The way to do this is at the above group.

Hope this helps.

Cristina

Old Sep 6th 2001, 1:48 pm
Siena

>
    >
    >
back?
    >
    >
availablity.
    >
networks.
    >
    >
channels on my set,
    >
but garbage
    >
    >
    >

Sky won't help as having SKY outside of the UK is not legal.

For your problem though, check out uk.media.tv.misc Someone there will be able to
help you find your cannels.

Old Sep 6th 2001, 5:44 pm
Wolfgang Schwanke

Lydia <[email protected]> wrote in
<OJl7.78985$%[email protected] >:

>
    >
    >
    >

I'm afraid you're out of luck. Sky Channel was once (oh, 20 years ago) the first pan
European TV channel, and available on all continental cable networks. Not so any
more. They've changed to targeting the English speaking countries exclusively around
1990ish, and actively prevent diffusion on cable systems outside the UK and Ireland.
Direct satellite reception is possible if you get your hands on a pirated card ...

UK terrestrial programming (BBC 1/2, ITV, Ch4), if only we could get that! They're
not on any satellite (not in the clear anyway), and are even more aggressive in
preventing rebroadcast anywhere else ... except Holland.

Your closest to "home programming" is getting a cable feed of BBC Prime (which I
doubt is available in Munich), or BBC World.

Regards

--
    >
http://www.deltatag.de/~wolfi/ Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt
Alle Menschen werden Brüder Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt

Old Sep 6th 2001, 5:48 pm
Wolfgang Schwanke

>

I'd have to say that the crap is exclusively American, and we get plenty of that,
thank you. British TV is a different world, mostly excellent compared to continental
programmes, and ... well anything is better than the American stuff.

>

No there are not!

Regards

--
    >
http://www.deltatag.de/~wolfi/ Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt
Alle Menschen werden Brüder Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt

Old Sep 6th 2001, 8:22 pm
Jeremy Rogers

>
    >
    >

Still plenty of German channels on analogue satellite. Indeed after the departure of
the Sky channels there are more of them, using their vacated transponders.

Jez
--

Old Oct 8th 2002, 11:39 am
aerials

Please contact Bavaria Satellite in Munich for Sky Digital
Bavaria-satellite.de

Regards

Philip
[email protected]

Old Oct 8th 2002, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Fred_Scuttle will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by Wolfgang Schwanke:
Lydia <[email protected]> wrote in
<OJl7.78985$%[email protected] >:

>
    >
    >
    >

I'm afraid you're out of luck. Sky Channel was once (oh, 20 years ago) the first pan
European TV channel, and available on all continental cable networks. Not so any
more. They've changed to targeting the English speaking countries exclusively around
1990ish, and actively prevent diffusion on cable systems outside the UK and Ireland.
Direct satellite reception is possible if you get your hands on a pirated card ...

UK terrestrial programming (BBC 1/2, ITV, Ch4), if only we could get that! They're
not on any satellite (not in the clear anyway), and are even more aggressive in
preventing rebroadcast anywhere else ... except Holland.

Your closest to "home programming" is getting a cable feed of BBC Prime (which I
doubt is available in Munich), or BBC World.

Regards

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Lots of people in Europe have Sky television.You can get a free to view card at no charge which gives BBC1 BBC2 ITV chan4 etc as well as the usual free to air Cnn ,Qvc etc or you can have a subscription card and view as many channels as you want,sports,movies etc depending on how much you want to pay. There are also loads of radio channels..You may also be able to tune in other ITV regions but it's from a weaker signal.The main ITV region you get is based on your postcode in the Uk when you apply for a card.
The only thing is, to do this you need a British address to apply for the free card or the subscription card(this is a legal card) and that address should be registered as having a British TV Licence.If you buy a digibox at full price you don't need to connect it to a British phone line,which is a requirement of the subsidised boxes.You don't want to phone Sky from Europe as they can check their caller ID and won't help if you are living abroad.Post a question in the Digital Spy forums for more info.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/index.php

Good Luck.