Reload this Page >

Relocate from London to Germany

Relocate from London to Germany

Old Apr 17th 2014, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Leem22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocate from London to Germany

Hello

I am currently living in London but I wish to relocate from here to one of the cities in Germany (Hamburg, Berlin, Frankfurt) but if anyone has suggestions that would be great? We are both only 23 but wish to work out there and go from there. We have started to learn german but aren't fluent by any stretch of the imagination. I have a few worries and I wonder if anyone could help me?

Where is best for accommodation? We would like our own space but obviously not sky high prices!

Struggling to find suitable jobs online. Anyone know of English speaking call centres, bars etc to get in touch with?

Where do I start? So much to think of!

Any help will be greatly appreciated and I look forward to hearing from you and possibly hearing of your own experiences!

Lee
Old Apr 18th 2014, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

rammy100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Relocate from London to Germany

I have sent you a pm.
Old Apr 21st 2014, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Berlin is still the cheapest city to live in. However, the job situation is bad compared to the other two cities you mentioned. Tourism is big in Berlin. Working at bars or nightclubs or in hotels is an option with decent German (low pay though but it would be a start). You could try to become a tour guide in Berlin for English speaking tourists. Obviously, you would need to know a lot about the city and its history. I also know quiet a few immigrants that work in sales where they can use their English (Russian, French....) skills. However, they all are fluent in German.

Just in general, in Germany degrees, certificates, formal education are much more important than in the UK. If you would like to integrate into the 'normal' German job market you need to have a look at your qualification and your German language skills.

Good luck with your move
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that to function there you need a reasonable level of German. I was fortunate in that I learned German in school and USED it. I had a spell in Berlin-West in the 1960s when I was a Teaching Assistant in a German school. For graduates there is still I think the British Council scheme where you can spend a year. It does seem to me that UK-wide fewer every year acquire competence in a foreign language in school. Oy Veh !
Old Apr 26th 2014, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

britfriend is an unknown quantity at this point

Working in Germany does make a B1 level in German essentially mandatory.
Suggestion even then is B2, C1…
There are very few bars or Irish pubs, not enough though to cover the demand and badly payed.
There is no jobseekers allowance for the first 3 month anyways. And German Jobcenter will not offer you any jobs without proof of 18 month German lessons and a minimum of B1 level degree.

Still good luck

any questions… feel free