Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Germany

Old Aug 4th 2017, 6:12 pm   #1
Born again atheist
Premium Member

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default opening a bank account in berlin

My elder son is going to Berlin to try to make a start there. He has the use of a cousin's apartment for a while and will be job seeking during his initial stay.

The question is, what chance has he of opening a basic account with a bank in Berlin to which he can transfer funds from his Canadian accounts? Are there "newcomer" offers as there are in Canada?
Old Aug 5th 2017, 7:14 am   #2
dmu Female
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: opening a bank account in berlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novocastrian View Post
My elder son is going to Berlin to try to make a start there. He has the use of a cousin's apartment for a while and will be job seeking during his initial stay.

The question is, what chance has he of opening a basic account with a bank in Berlin to which he can transfer funds from his Canadian accounts? Are there "newcomer" offers as there are in Canada?
DD1 chose to open a German internet banking account and can easily transfer from her French A/C if necessary, but we're in Euroland and I've no idea how international transfers work.
dmu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th 2017, 7:45 am   #3
Born again atheist
Premium Member

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmu View Post
DD1 chose to open a German internet banking account and can easily transfer from her French A/C if necessary, but we're in Euroland and I've no idea how international transfers work.
Thanks dmu. Something like ING/Tangerine?
Old Aug 5th 2017, 8:01 am   #4
dmu Female
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Thanks dmu. Something like ING/Tangerine?
I can't say off-hand, she's gone out for the moment. The name rings a bell, but maybe due to adverts on the TV! A+
Old Aug 5th 2017, 8:15 am   #5
Born again atheist
Premium Member

Quote:
I can't say off-hand, she's gone out for the moment. The name rings a bell, but maybe due to adverts on the TV! A+
Hmmm. Adverts. Google suggests DKB and/or N26? Your daughter's input will be welcome. Thanks again.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 11:51 am   #6
dmu Female
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Hmmm. Adverts. Google suggests DKB and/or N26? Your daughter's input will be welcome. Thanks again.
She's with Comdirect, but could equally well have chosen DKB. Apparently DD2 still has a German account, although she's moved back to France. We're skyping with her over the weekend and I'll ask what bank she's with...
Old Aug 5th 2017, 1:15 pm   #7
Born again atheist
Premium Member

Quote:
She's with Comdirect, but could equally well have chosen DKB. Apparently DD2 still has a German account, although she's moved back to France. We're skyping with her over the weekend and I'll ask what bank she's with...
Cheers for that. My DS1 who's in France with us at the moment also looked at Comdirect but seems to think that N26 might be a better fit. Don't ask me why.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 10:14 pm   #8
scot47 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I opened an account in Germany while visiting. I needed my passport and some money. Downside in Germany is that all bank accounts cost you. No free banking !
scot47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6th 2017, 7:26 am   #9
dmu Female
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Quote:
Cheers for that. My DS1 who's in France with us at the moment also looked at Comdirect but seems to think that N26 might be a better fit. Don't ask me why.
DD2 is with DKB, but says that nowadays they are more selective than in the past. You need an income, apparently, in order to open an account, they don't accept just anyone (e.g. her, a student, at the time), any more...
Hope all this is of some help!
P.S. DD1, on the spot, has never heard of N26....
Old Aug 6th 2017, 8:20 am   #10
Born again atheist
Premium Member

Quote:
DD2 is with DKB, but says that nowadays they are more selective than in the past. You need an income, apparently, in order to open an account, they don't accept just anyone (e.g. her, a student, at the time), any more...
Hope all this is of some help!
P.S. DD1, on the spot, has never heard of N26....
Merci encore. I read of the DKB selectivity and of N26 here https://www.movingto-berlin.com/german-bank-account/
Old Aug 7th 2017, 1:27 am   #11
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
I opened an account in Germany while visiting. I needed my passport and some money. Downside in Germany is that all bank accounts cost you. No free banking !
I have news for you: banks aren't philanthropic. There is no such thing as "free banking". They just get their money in a more transparent way.

Kind of like that "free" iPhone you get with your mobile contract, where you ultimately pay 20% more than if you bought it at MediaMarkt.

Free? That sounds expensive!
Old Aug 7th 2017, 4:05 am   #12
scot47 
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

No free lunches ?
scot47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Europe / Germany