Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Moving to Munich, advice needed on finding accommodation

Moving to Munich, advice needed on finding accommodation

Old May 3rd 2009, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Mangold is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Munich, advice needed on finding accommodation

Hello all, I will be moving to Munich soon and will need to secure accommodation for 1 person.

Firstly I will be staying in a B&B or cheap hotel in or near the centre for a couple of weeks while I find my feet and attend various business meetings. Then I will start looking for longer term accommodation.

Please could someone tell me the best way to find accommodation in Munich and how rentals work in Germany? My budget would be around 350-500 euros a month I think.

My ideal scenario would be to find something in or close to the city centre with good public transport links (as I won't have a car) for a period of 6-9 months. 1 bedroom or studio would be sufficient, fully furnished would be needed, and wireless or broadband services would be an excellent bonus as would be a gym

Would this be possible on my budget and what kind or deposit is needed and are 6 month rentals possible? What is the notice period required to terminate a lease on a rental unit under German law. I would like something halfway decent so am prepared to spend a bit more if my budget is not sufficient, would like it to be somewhere quiet. I don't speak German so if there's any English language websites that could start me off would be much appreciated.

Then when I am in Munich please could you tell me if I have to go to estate agents or rental companies and how I find them?

Thanks all

Mangold

(Also if anyone could recommend a cheap and cheerful B&B or hotel with private bathroom in Munich with good public transport links and free wireless please let me know)
Old May 6th 2009, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

notathome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Munich, advice needed on finding accommodation

Just to give you an idea as to what is available, look on the website: www.immobilienscout24.de O.K. this is a German site. Click on Suchen (search) then under Mieten (to rent), click on Möbliertes Wohnen (furnished). Then on München. A list of available property should come up. The prices are usually cold, i.e. before heating.
If you cant manage that, then once in Munich go to an estate agents. Maybe even ask in a tourist office where an estate agents can be found.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mangold
Hello all, I will be moving to Munich soon and will need to secure accommodation for 1 person.

Firstly I will be staying in a B&B or cheap hotel in or near the centre for a couple of weeks while I find my feet and attend various business meetings. Then I will start looking for longer term accommodation.

Please could someone tell me the best way to find accommodation in Munich and how rentals work in Germany? My budget would be around 350-500 euros a month I think.

My ideal scenario would be to find something in or close to the city centre with good public transport links (as I won't have a car) for a period of 6-9 months. 1 bedroom or studio would be sufficient, fully furnished would be needed, and wireless or broadband services would be an excellent bonus as would be a gym

Would this be possible on my budget and what kind or deposit is needed and are 6 month rentals possible? What is the notice period required to terminate a lease on a rental unit under German law. I would like something halfway decent so am prepared to spend a bit more if my budget is not sufficient, would like it to be somewhere quiet. I don't speak German so if there's any English language websites that could start me off would be much appreciated.

Then when I am in Munich please could you tell me if I have to go to estate agents or rental companies and how I find them?

Thanks all

Mangold

(Also if anyone could recommend a cheap and cheerful B&B or hotel with private bathroom in Munich with good public transport links and free wireless please let me know)
You might find this usefull: http://www.toytowngermany.com/munich/

Also, dont worry about public transport links... Munich has a very good integrated underground and bus system. You will probably be able to get away without having a car. http://www.mvv-muenchen.de/de/home/f...etz/index.html

Broadband (DSL) is available from Deutshe Telekom (www.telekom.de)
Old Aug 21st 2009, 12:13 pm
The Flying Anglo-Dutchman

Bikbergen is an unknown quantity at this point

Munich is very expensive to live in, especially inside town.

Agency fees in Germany are extravagant to say the least and be careful with signing a lease, they usually are long term, at least 3 years.

Check out the local papers for local adds by private individuals when you are in Munich. that way you will avoid the extravagant fees and cheaper rents.

Look for something in the outskirts on the edge of town with good public transport links.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

dh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of lightdh010447 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bikbergen
Munich is very expensive to live in, especially inside town.

Agency fees in Germany are extravagant to say the least and be careful with signing a lease, they usually are long term, at least 3 years.

Check out the local papers for local adds by private individuals when you are in Munich. that way you will avoid the extravagant fees and cheaper rents.

Look for something in the outskirts on the edge of town with good public transport links.

Oh yes they are - you have to pay a 'finders fee' which can be something like 2 months rent. That's on top of any deposit that you might have to pay.

Take a look here: http://www.mrlodge.de/englisch/

Last edited by dh010447; Aug 21st 2009 at 2:23 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

MunichMom is an unknown quantity at this point

Once there, you can pick up the local paper Kurz und Fündig every Tuesday and Friday and look for ads, and ring early if theres something you like. Good, cheap places go fast. You may also want to consider sharing - look for WG - stands for Wohngemeinschaft - so you can get a bigger, nicer place to share, and your own bedroom in that same apartment with maybe 3-4 students.
The whole of the Munich area is well serviced by the S-Bahn, the local overland train. Good luck. If you need to find English speakers to help you out on arrival, consider going to the Irish Catholic Mass at 6pm on Sunday evenings at the Kreuzkirche between Sendlinger Tor and Karlsplatz, or 11am in the Landsberger Strasse - tram 18. Everyone is very welcoming to new arrivals.