Reload this Page >

moving to Germany

moving to Germany

Old Aug 17th 2015, 7:11 am
Just Joined

AEAD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to Germany

Hi there,

we are planning to move to Germany in spring 2016. The reason is quite clear as I am german but my husband is not. And here the problem starts. His language knowledge is not even basic yet We thought about that I'll go back to work and he'll look after the kids and visits a german course. Ok, that sounds not to bad to me But he'll also have to go back to work after a while (we wanted to give it 6 months time to study the language). My husband studied carpentry here in London ages ago and works since then as a carpenter self employed. Now we are wondering how will his chances be in GER to find a job with his profession?
We still didn't decide where exactly to go - just think that the northern part would be ideal, as it's close to Netherlands where he could have better job chances.
Are there any experiences from carpenters in this forum?
Old Aug 17th 2015, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to Germany

If your husband is a non EEA citizen, maybe it would be better for the whole family to settle in the Netherlands first and then move back to Germany under the Surinder Singh route -

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/surinder-singh
Old Aug 18th 2015, 5:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HKG3
If your husband is a non EEA citizen, maybe it would be better for the whole family to settle in the Netherlands first and then move back to Germany under the Surinder Singh route -

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/surinder-singh
oh wow! what a great hint!!! will study it now, thanks a lot
Old Aug 18th 2015, 12:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HKG3
If your husband is a non EEA citizen, maybe it would be better for the whole family to settle in the Netherlands first and then move back to Germany under the Surinder Singh route
Not necessary. Foreign spouses of German nationals living in Germany are routinely issued with a three-year German residence permit (and subsequently with a permanent residence permit):

§ 28 AufenthG Familiennachzug zu Deutschen - dejure.org

(If the spouse is an EU national, they don't of course even need a residence permit.)
Old Aug 18th 2015, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Watchpost
Not necessary. Foreign spouses of German nationals living in Germany are routinely issued with a three-year German residence permit (and subsequently with a permanent residence permit):

§ 28 AufenthG Familiennachzug zu Deutschen - dejure.org

(If the spouse is an EU national, they don't of course even need a residence permit.)
Oh but for this visa you need language knowledge as far as I know(?). That is what he can't offer at the moment But anyway I'll have to get in touch with the embassy and will ask for it. I'll have to find out what is easier for us/makes more sense.
But also thanks to you
Old Aug 19th 2015, 9:39 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

There is no "language test" for a spousal visa.

But even though the vast majority of Germans are rather fluent in English, German fluency will broaden his chances of becoming gainfully employed by many orders of magnitude. Even as a selbständig Schreiner, German fluency will be key (people prefer clarity particularly with bespoke work), unless he limits his clients to native English-speakers.

For a more active dialogue about this in English, you both may benefit from toytown, Germany's largest and most popular English-language expat forum.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by amideislas
oh you see - we are still at the beginning of our journey. thank you for letting us know about that fact.
the rest is totally clear and I hope we will get there - soon
Old Aug 19th 2015, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

But even though the vast majority of Germans are rather fluent in English, German fluency will broaden his chances of becoming gainfully employed by many orders of magnitude. Even as a selbständig Schreiner, German fluency will be key (people prefer clarity particularly with bespoke work), unless he limits his clients to native English-speakers.

For a more active dialogue about this in English, you both may benefit from toytown, Germany's largest and most popular English-language expat forum.
so, I had a bit of time to do some research and I am wondering now from where you have the information that no language knowledge is required?
Old Aug 20th 2015, 7:27 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Lived in Germany for nearly 2 decades. Friends, neighbours, acquaintances from all over the world living in Germany on spousal visas, never submitting to any such "language test". You do, however, have to provide valid proof of marriage.

You don't have to prove language fluency though. That is completely irrelevant to your status as a spouse. A person is still married regardless of which languages they speak, and under German and EU law, legitimate spouses of German/EU nationals are entitled to a residence visa.

But again, language is as a practical matter, extremely important in day-to-day life, wherever you live.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Lived in Germany for nearly 2 decades. Friends, neighbours, acquaintances from all over the world living in Germany on spousal visas, never submitting to any such "language test". You do, however, have to provide valid proof of marriage.

You don't have to prove language fluency though. That is completely irrelevant to your status as a spouse. A person is still married regardless of which languages they speak, and under German and EU law, legitimate spouses of German/EU nationals are entitled to a residence visa.

But again, language is as a practical matter, extremely important in day-to-day life, wherever you live.
so it's ages ago the german law requires since 2007 at least a basic language knowledge from a spouse visa applicant (but it suppose to be very basic . However, will contact the embassy today to find out what to do next.

Thanks again
Old Aug 20th 2015, 10:42 am
Banned

Well, that's a new one on me.

Nonetheless, I suspect that amongst the various challenges of getting your marriage cert legally translated, along with all other required bureaucracy, in the end, being able to say "ja, das ist mein Deutsch sehr gut" will likely be sufficient to compel the proper stamp to meet paper without hesitation. So its probably worth a little practice. He'll need it anyway.

Good luck with all that. Germany can be a great place to live - not without warts, but certainly a good standard of living.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 11:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

AHEAD is correct:

BAMF - Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge - Ehepartner/Familie nachholen

However, there are a number of exceptions, e.g.:

Ihr Ehegatte Deutscher ist und er zuvor durch einen längeren Aufenthalt in einem anderen EU-Mitgliedstaat von seinem europäischen Freizügigkeitsrecht Gebrauch gemacht hat

"Ihr Ehegatte" in this case is AHEAD, who has been in the UK for some time, correct?

Apart from that, what amideislas said. AHEAD's husband is going to need German anyway – it's not just a formality for getting a visa. So head down and learn as much and as fast as possible.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 7:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Living inb Germany without a working knowledge of the language is to condemn yourself to perpetual childhood. When you want something you will have to find someone who can help you out in English.

Not every German is fluent or even competent in English. Many would take exception to your expectation that you can get things done using English. I certainly would.

Glueck auf !
Old Aug 21st 2015, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Living inb Germany without a working knowledge of the language is to condemn yourself to perpetual childhood. When you want something you will have to find someone who can help you out in English.

Not every German is fluent or even competent in English. Many would take exception to your expectation that you can get things done using English. I certainly would.

Glueck auf !
There seems to be an obsession with Germany these days (maybe because of media) and there are more and more people wanting to move without speaking a word of German. The 800.000 Flüchtlinge wanting to come to Germany this year is a different story, but in this case the OP is German and apart from that what are the reasons of moving? If you're financially secure and don't really need a job it can certainly work, because it's no different than being on holiday. If you need work to survive and depending on age, current quality of life, I would really rethink a move to Germany these days.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
There seems to be an obsession with Germany these days (maybe because of media) and there are more and more people wanting to move without speaking a word of German. The 800.000 Flüchtlinge wanting to come to Germany this year is a different story, but in this case the OP is German and apart from that what are the reasons of moving? If you're financially secure and don't really need a job it can certainly work, because it's no different than being on holiday. If you need work to survive and depending on age, current quality of life, I would really rethink a move to Germany these days.
well I get your point but as we have 2 little kids we better move now than later. financially we are definitely on the safe site and don't need to worry for while - but will have to find work one day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.