Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Medical Insurance

Medical Insurance

Old Nov 14th 2016, 9:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Insurance

Originally Posted by Cynic
The only qualification to get an S1 form is that the recipient must be in receipt of a UK old-age state pension (or other "exportable-benefit") - link here; I understand that they have stopped issuing them to expats who are not in receipt of the UK state-pension. On receipt of the form, you register with that countries relevant Health Authority, you can then apply for a UK-EHIC card to use in any other EU/EEA country.
All true, but in the interests of other readers, the S1 only covers state health care in your EU country of residence on the same terms as other residents there enjoy.

Not every EU country has 100% cover, e.g. France where it's normally 70% and you need top up insurance (a Mutuelle) for the rest.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Insurance

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
All true, but in the interests of other readers, the S1 only covers state health care in your EU country of residence on the same terms as other residents there enjoy.

Not every EU country has 100% cover, e.g. France where it's normally 70% and you need top up insurance (a Mutuelle) for the rest.
Yep, agreed, you'll only get the cover that the other residents get, which makes sense. It's been 20 years since I lived in Germany, so I have no idea what that represents today.