Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

marriage in Germany

marriage in Germany

Old Jun 30th 2016, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

Lyndsa is a jewel in the roughLyndsa is a jewel in the roughLyndsa is a jewel in the roughLyndsa is a jewel in the roughLyndsa is a jewel in the rough
Default marriage in Germany

My son has lived in Germany for 12 years, he has permanent employment, a fiancée and a 15 month old daughter. He is British Citizen and is wanting to get married in Germany. What forms would he need? He has received conflicting information. Also he understands that if they were to get married outside of Germany, their marriage wouldn't be recognised in Germany. Is this the case? Any help/info greatly appreciated as always
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: marriage in Germany

It would be sensible to go and ask at the "Standesamt" (Registry Office).
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Lyndsa is a jewel in the roughLyndsa is a jewel in the roughLyndsa is a jewel in the roughLyndsa is a jewel in the roughLyndsa is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by scot47
It would be sensible to go and ask at the "Standesamt" (Registry Office).
Hi, this was the first place he contacted prior to asking for help on here, but was given advice that now appears incorrect. He has spoken to the British Embassy and it seems he just needs to get his birth certificate authenticated with Hague Apostille
Hopefully this will be all that is now needed
Thanks for your help
Old Jul 29th 2016, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

glowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond reputeglowie has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe he is already married by now...
But: Look at the German embassy/consulate webpages. Even though they are first and foremost responsible for outside of Germany marriage recognitions, but it's basically the same stuff you need for marrying in Germany (birth certificate, passport/ID, if applicable divorce decrees, etc.). Unfortunately the Standesamt or Buergeramt operating in Germany don't know that much about the regulations when international parties are involved. I was told via email from my Standesamt that I have to be physically there to be able to get my US marriage recognized in Germany but that is not true. the consulate in Chicago handed me the forms we need to fill out, the documents we need, even notarized all copies for a little fee and then sent everything to the right people in Germany.

Good luck for your son!
Old Jul 30th 2016, 8:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by glowie
Maybe he is already married by now...
But: Look at the German embassy/consulate webpages. Even though they are first and foremost responsible for outside of Germany marriage recognitions, but it's basically the same stuff you need for marrying in Germany (birth certificate, passport/ID, if applicable divorce decrees, etc.). Unfortunately the Standesamt or Buergeramt operating in Germany don't know that much about the regulations when international parties are involved. I was told via email from my Standesamt that I have to be physically there to be able to get my US marriage recognized in Germany but that is not true. the consulate in Chicago handed me the forms we need to fill out, the documents we need, even notarized all copies for a little fee and then sent everything to the right people in Germany.

Good luck for your son!
Thank you so much, I have forwarded this information onto my son. I will post updates as and when they happen.