Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Looks like German is the language to learn...

Looks like German is the language to learn...

Old Sep 2nd 2012, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looks like German is the language to learn...

All languages are difficult to learn! English isn't easy either. Real mastery of a language means to be able to make a joke! That is what I miss the most when speaking and writing in English... spontaneously making a joke.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I noted that German was the number one language most prefered by British business as stated in a British journal the other day. It could have been the Daily Telegraph.....

Doesn't rate very high at all DownUnder. Funnily a lot of Germans here don't even want to speak it. Never come across that before.

Thankfully will be there in about five weeks.....then off to South Africa.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
All languages are difficult to learn! English isn't easy either. Real mastery of a language means to be able to make a joke! That is what I miss the most when speaking and writing in English... spontaneously making a joke.
Luckily Germans are too serious to joke..making foreign language easy...while the English in general find it hard.....lol.....

I think Auckland isn't too funny though.....sooner you than me...
Old Sep 18th 2012, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Luckily Germans are too serious to joke..making foreign language easy...while the English in general find it hard.....lol.....

I think Auckland isn't too funny though.....sooner you than me...
Oh, now that you reminded me, I nearly forgot what laughter is....you know the weird movement of facial muscles and the making odd sounds. Should go out in the night and hunt for some Kiwis
Old Sep 19th 2012, 12:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oh, now that you reminded me, I nearly forgot what laughter is....you know the weird movement of facial muscles and the making odd sounds. Should go out in the night and hunt for some Kiwis
Ah,you still remember. Culling Kiwis should perhaps be only undertaken as a final solution....lol....I shall greet lovely Germany for you. Back there in 5 weeks..keep exercising with the smiles....
Old Sep 25th 2012, 9:50 am
Just Joined

markey6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by the troubadour
I noted that German was the number one language most prefered by British business as stated in a British journal the other day. It could have been the Daily Telegraph.....

Doesn't rate very high at all DownUnder. Funnily a lot of Germans here don't even want to speak it. Never come across that before.

Thankfully will be there in about five weeks.....then off to South Africa.
sometime is got the feeling that every secound german is taking a year abroad down under... perhaps it's cuz of the work and travel visa
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by markey6
sometime is got the feeling that every secound german is taking a year abroad down under... perhaps it's cuz of the work and travel visa
Definately generally the case. As we have connections with Germany we get a steady stream of visitors, some long stayers including three young German girls in three years stay with us,one of those has returned for a second stay and wants to bring a friend next year for another stay.
Although only one had a WHV to date. In Perth we don't get as many but those that have stayed by us report back that Cairns is very popular as is Darwin,with Germans.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Andyland is an unknown quantity at this point

The trouble with the language for me is that there are so many dialects. I've watched shows with some of my german friends and I honestly hadn't understood every second word, and they just say it is a dialect from the somwhere region. Apart from that German is fun
Old Sep 29th 2012, 3:02 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Vienna has again been named as the ‘best’ city in the world, with the Austrian capital’s perennial Swiss rival, Zurich, in second place. Auckland, Munich and Düsseldorf complete the top five. Overall, German-speaking cities occupy six places in the top ten in this year’s Quality of Living Survey by Mercer Consulting.

http://www.citymayors.com/features/quality_survey.html
I LOVE Vienna!!!! not surprised it came top!