Jobs in Germany

Old Apr 19th 2012, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

Beranda will become famous soon enough
Default Jobs in Germany

Hello. I posted this same thread in the France forum, but since the (not unexpected) response has been fairly pessimistic on the job front i thought I would post it here as well. While I have by no means decided where I'm going to go towards the end of the year, I know that I want to leave the UK for a while and I have the burning desire to see other cultures, and learn other languages!

In November I'm intending to leave my job in London with the intention of going to work in other European countries - both for the cultural experience and to gain some qualifications in other languages. I was considering going to Spain first, but as the economic situation has deteriorated so badly I'm looking at other options. Its probably worth mentioning my degree is in accounting and finance, and I have been working in the Civil Service since I graduated.

What is the work scene like for Brits in Germany? Are there any international companies that I am likely to find work with? What are the best places to look to live/work?

I do not speak German. I have intermediate French and advanced Spanish - both of which I'm working on at the moment. However I'm more than happy to spend some (a lot) of time working on my German if the time invested will pay off.

As you can tell I'm a little lost about where I'm going to go - I just know I want to leave London and experience other cultures and languages. So why not try to appeal to the biggest European economy...

Many thanks
Old Apr 19th 2012, 10:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs in Germany

Originally Posted by Beranda
Hello. I posted this same thread in the France forum,

As you can tell I'm a little lost about where I'm going to go - I just know I want to leave London and experience other cultures and languages. So why not try to appeal to the biggest European economy..
Have you considered Newcastle?
Old Apr 20th 2012, 6:50 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Have you considered Newcastle?

seriously, though, a move out of London to anywhere else in the UK where you could work in your field, would answer the main problem.
After a few years, if you still want to leave the UK, you'll have your work experience behind you and meanwhile you'll have improved your languages.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 11:51 am
Just Joined

NosVemos is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beranda
Hello. I posted this same thread in the France forum, but since the (not unexpected) response has been fairly pessimistic on the job front i thought I would post it here as well. While I have by no means decided where I'm going to go towards the end of the year, I know that I want to leave the UK for a while and I have the burning desire to see other cultures, and learn other languages!

In November I'm intending to leave my job in London with the intention of going to work in other European countries - both for the cultural experience and to gain some qualifications in other languages. I was considering going to Spain first, but as the economic situation has deteriorated so badly I'm looking at other options. Its probably worth mentioning my degree is in accounting and finance, and I have been working in the Civil Service since I graduated.

What is the work scene like for Brits in Germany? Are there any international companies that I am likely to find work with? What are the best places to look to live/work?

I do not speak German. I have intermediate French and advanced Spanish - both of which I'm working on at the moment. However I'm more than happy to spend some (a lot) of time working on my German if the time invested will pay off.

As you can tell I'm a little lost about where I'm going to go - I just know I want to leave London and experience other cultures and languages. So why not try to appeal to the biggest European economy...

Many thanks
I'm in a similar situation as yourself. I speak Spanish (high intermediate) and French (mid intermediate) and I too have heard of dire work situations in these countries at the moment.

So I have started to learn German (I'm probably about advanced beginner now). I am finding the language more difficult than Spanish and French as the words are less familiar and of course, the case system will probably take time to master.

I am probably going to go for a month and attend a language school to immerse myself in the language within the next few months. Whilst there, I will then check out the work situation.

Perhaps you could so something similar before deciding on doing anything? It does cost money to do this but at least you can see if it's right for you or not before jumping straight in?

Another alternative is to obtain work as a teacher of English in either France, Spain or Germany. The work is supposed to be very low paid, can involve a lot of commuting between jobs and can require working early morning then again, in the evenings. If this seems like something you fancy doing, now is the time to find this type of work as contracts usually start in September.

Good luck no matter what you do (and me too !)
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

charles.larry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Beranda!

I myself am a Brit working in Germany. I actually work freelance, but when I was looking at the job situation prior to moving here (a couple of years back) I found that Hamburg in particular was something of hotspot for international job opportunities. Media and engineering seem to be the biggest pulls, but there are various other opportunities I found - not just for English either; Spanish, Italian, French etc. Seems like an international city.

Perhaps you should look in this area....

Wherever you end up, good luck!
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:12 pm
Banned

Nora77 is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the way to look for job, is try to teach English, isnt it?