Reload this Page >

Information on Berlin

Information on Berlin

Old Jul 8th 2014, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

ethnicstar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Information on Berlin

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question, I have a skype interview for a job as a Web Developer in Berlin, if things go to the plan with the interview then hopefully I could be moving to Berlin. I have looked and researched Germany and Berlin as a city and it seems to be ticking the right boxes however, I would like to know a few things such as

- Flatsharing in Berlin?
- Cost of Living compared to the UK?
- Medical Insurance ?

Any help would be appreciated

Kind Regards
Old Jul 9th 2014, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Information on Berlin

In Germany flat sharing is called "Wohngemeinschaft" or short WG. There are several websites that you can search. Have a look here:

Find a flat share in Berlin

Mind you, a lot of these rooms or apartments will have no furniture! If you rent your own apartment there might not even be a kitchen in the apartment (only a sink and an oven).

Also, furnished apartments you can rent here for example. These organisations are used to deal with people coming from abroad and will usually not require a Schufa Auskunft etc. pp.:

Berlin Has a Lot to Offer. Our Furnished Apartments, too. | berlinovo

It will be easier to find a flat share once you are in Berlin and have met people.

Berlin is still relatively cheap compared to other German cities. I am not sure about the cost of living in the UK but I would assume that Berlin is cheaper.

Health insurance should be covered by your employer if you are a permanent employee.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 6:47 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
In Germany flat sharing is called "Wohngemeinschaft" or short WG. There are several websites that you can search. Have a look here:

Find a flat share in Berlin

Mind you, a lot of these rooms or apartments will have no furniture! If you rent your own apartment there might not even be a kitchen in the apartment (only a sink and an oven).

Also, furnished apartments you can rent here for example. These organisations are used to deal with people coming from abroad and will usually not require a Schufa Auskunft etc. pp.:

Berlin Has a Lot to Offer. Our Furnished Apartments, too. | berlinovo

It will be easier to find a flat share once you are in Berlin and have met people.

Berlin is still relatively cheap compared to other German cities. I am not sure about the cost of living in the UK but I would assume that Berlin is cheaper.

Health insurance should be covered by your employer if you are a permanent employee.
Hi, my two daughters have lived in various WGs in Berlin over the years. All were unfurnished, but the "principal" tenants had always provided the kitchen appliances.
They say/said that the cost of living is much lower than in France (where they were born).
The younger has left now, but was covered by her Student's Social Security. The elder is working free-lance and has to provide her own healthcare coverage.
But as stated above, your health insurance should be covered by your employer. Make sure of your status when you skype!
Hope this helps!
Old Jul 9th 2014, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

ethnicstar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Assanah and DMU,

Thank You for your responses, I will take that into consideration what you both have said any other information which you think I will find beneficial would be most appreciated