Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Is ID really compulsory all the time in Germany?

Is ID really compulsory all the time in Germany?

Old Jul 6th 2009, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is ID really compulsory all the time in Germany?

Originally Posted by sukuinage
As one of the previous posters stated "Ausweispflicht" only means that every German over the age of 16 must have an identity card. There is no "Mitführpflicht" in Germany and, therefore, no requirement to carry an identity card with you.

http://www.rechtslexikon-online.de/Ausweispflicht.html
I'm a German living in the UK

Yes it is true...you have to have am ID but you don't have to carry it around
Old Jul 6th 2009, 11:58 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eurotramp
I'm a German living in the UK

Yes it is true...you have to have am ID but you don't have to carry it around
So what is the point in that, apart from having to sit in a cell till someone goes and gets it for you. lol
Old Sep 21st 2009, 10:50 am
Just Joined

majorlee is an unknown quantity at this point

in the UK if a copper asks yhou for your name and address

just answer, AM I OBLIGED TO GIVE YOU THOSE DETAILS OFFICER?

if he/she says yes then they are commiting fraud as you do not have to make joinder with them, unless u have broken the law

should be our right to go whevever we wish without being harrassed by officers of the law

i have been stopped on my bike in germany (control, control!) i spoke in english to them, they waved bye and drove off lol!!!!

i would really like to know if it is compulsury or not, as many Germans i have found out are not sure about it, but most just follow orders (still have not learnt there lesson from 1930/40's) just to keep the status quo.

i wonder if there is common law in germany?

Last edited by majorlee; Sep 21st 2009 at 10:53 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 7:17 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by majorlee

if he/she says yes then they are commiting fraud as you do not have to make joinder with them, unless u have broken the law
And then you make a whole you world of sh!t for yourself as they cart you off to the local police station and screw your day up for you whilst they make further enquiries
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 9:29 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

It's true that, unlike other Europeans countries, you don't need to carry any identification documents in the UK and you could refuse to answer any questions when stopped by a police officer.

What do you think would happen next? The worst scenario would see you locked up for at least 24 days under the terrorist legislation.

What's the least unpleasant thing that could happen? You would, of course, be arrested and taken in for questioning. As an unidentified suspect, possibly an illegal immigrant, the police could take your fingerprints and DNA samples, and you would have to wait around for a bit.

If you were a real tough nut, and obstinate enough, the charge sheet presented to the court at some stage would read: Unidentified male – charged under some legislation to protect UK citizens from people who disturb Her Majesty's Peace.

You're much better off found without papers in Germany, the UK police are a lot stricter.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

should be our right to go whevever we wish without being harrassed by officers of the law

i have been stopped on my bike in germany (control, control!) i spoke in english to them, they waved bye and drove off lol!!!!

i would really like to know if it is compulsory or not, as many Germans i have found out are not sure about it, but most just follow orders (still have not learnt there lesson from 1930/40's) just to keep the status quo.

Charming...for somebody who is new to the forum and if you would have read the answer before you would by now have the answer to the question if it is
compulsory or not
Old Sep 28th 2009, 10:34 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

i would really like to know if it is compulsury or not, as many Germans i have found out are not sure about it, but most just follow orders (still have not learnt there lesson from 1930/40's) just to keep the status quo.

Obstructing a Police officer in the execution of his duty -Police Act 1964 section 51. If you drop litter it isnt an arrestable offence, but if the Officer asks for your name and address and you refuse, you will be arrested for obstruction.

The Police in England and Germany have ways of getting their own way - so barrack room lawyers beware or you will end up like so many amateurs who tried to mix it with professionals who are used to dealing with the 'urban myth' crowd every day

Drinking dishwater tea out of a chipped enamel cup is no fun and not worth the bravado
Old Sep 29th 2009, 4:40 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure that there is not one country anywhere where you can tell a police officer to mind his own business if he asks your name.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 4:43 pm
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
I'm sure that there is not one country anywhere where you can tell a police officer to mind his own business if he asks your name.
Especially Pyongyang or Texas
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 7:23 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

Does everyone in Germany have some sort of a social security number which every legal resident remembers by heart?
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by THR
Does everyone in Germany have some sort of a social security number which every legal resident remembers by heart?
Yes and no.

All have a Rentenversicherungsnummer and no..we don't know it by heart
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 4:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Yes and no.

All have a Rentenversicherungsnummer and no..we don't know it by heart
It could be tattooed on the forearm so it cant be forgotten

That was a tasteless joke by the way - I love Germany apart from the 'boiled pigs knuckles' etc

Muenchen is my favourite and no, I have never been to the Oktoberfest

Actually I was the Geschäftsführer of a company in Munich and although German formalities are plenty, it's not a quarter as bad as dealing with the IRS where anything can happen

I had to swear to uphold the laws of Germany before a senior legal official. He had a Bobby Charlton hair do - a wisp of hair that curled right round his head but otherwise totally bald

He was introduced to me in a very formal setting as 'Herr Bender' and I nearly choked. I can remember the sheer effort of holding back the tears
Old Oct 13th 2009, 3:09 pm
happy daisy

spankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud ofspankysparkle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I lived there for 8 years. The only time I was asked for my "Ausweis" was on a bus. I replied "Ich hab' kein, ich bin Englander". "Fahrausweis", replied the ticket inspector, with a roll of the eyes.

Old Nov 1st 2009, 5:53 pm
After 10 years of trying

nohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nicenohinsara is just really nice

Originally Posted by Umpatan
Oh wow, that is like the time I visted Japan. They want you to register for a gaijin card and carry your passport around at all times. But I am an English Canadian dual citizen, and I wonder what category I would fit, since I am also a British citizen, thus a member of the EU! Would I be a foreigner or fellow member?
I'm the same.. Dual for UK and Canada. Technically we are required to carry our British Passports around with us. I never did so in my 2 years here, however, and the only trouble I've run into was once instance where I was refused sale of a lottery ticket because of it.
However, the PPs are right, it is required. So I now carry a photocopy of it because I refuse to risk losing my British Passport.. simply too expensive to replace! Don't know really if that fulfills my duty to carry ID but so far so good
Old Jan 9th 2010, 10:18 am
Just Joined

MrNosey is an unknown quantity at this point

To finally put this one to bed. You must have valid identification when resident in Germany, ie a valid (non-expired) UK passport BUT you do not have to carry it with you at all times. Of course, it may be sensible to have id (or a photocopy) with you just in case you need to prove you are who you say you are it is not required by law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.