Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

opening a bank account in berlin

opening a bank account in berlin

Old Aug 4th 2017, 6:12 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default opening a bank account in berlin

My elder son is going to Berlin to try to make a start there. He has the use of a cousin's apartment for a while and will be job seeking during his initial stay.

The question is, what chance has he of opening a basic account with a bank in Berlin to which he can transfer funds from his Canadian accounts? Are there "newcomer" offers as there are in Canada?
Old Aug 5th 2017, 7:14 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: opening a bank account in berlin

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
My elder son is going to Berlin to try to make a start there. He has the use of a cousin's apartment for a while and will be job seeking during his initial stay.

The question is, what chance has he of opening a basic account with a bank in Berlin to which he can transfer funds from his Canadian accounts? Are there "newcomer" offers as there are in Canada?
DD1 chose to open a German internet banking account and can easily transfer from her French A/C if necessary, but we're in Euroland and I've no idea how international transfers work.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 7:45 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
DD1 chose to open a German internet banking account and can easily transfer from her French A/C if necessary, but we're in Euroland and I've no idea how international transfers work.
Thanks dmu. Something like ING/Tangerine?
Old Aug 5th 2017, 8:01 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks dmu. Something like ING/Tangerine?
I can't say off-hand, she's gone out for the moment. The name rings a bell, but maybe due to adverts on the TV! A+
Old Aug 5th 2017, 8:15 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dmu
I can't say off-hand, she's gone out for the moment. The name rings a bell, but maybe due to adverts on the TV! A+
Hmmm. Adverts. Google suggests DKB and/or N26? Your daughter's input will be welcome. Thanks again.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 11:51 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hmmm. Adverts. Google suggests DKB and/or N26? Your daughter's input will be welcome. Thanks again.
She's with Comdirect, but could equally well have chosen DKB. Apparently DD2 still has a German account, although she's moved back to France. We're skyping with her over the weekend and I'll ask what bank she's with...
Old Aug 5th 2017, 1:15 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dmu
She's with Comdirect, but could equally well have chosen DKB. Apparently DD2 still has a German account, although she's moved back to France. We're skyping with her over the weekend and I'll ask what bank she's with...
Cheers for that. My DS1 who's in France with us at the moment also looked at Comdirect but seems to think that N26 might be a better fit. Don't ask me why.
Old Aug 5th 2017, 10:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I opened an account in Germany while visiting. I needed my passport and some money. Downside in Germany is that all bank accounts cost you. No free banking !
Old Aug 6th 2017, 7:26 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cheers for that. My DS1 who's in France with us at the moment also looked at Comdirect but seems to think that N26 might be a better fit. Don't ask me why.
DD2 is with DKB, but says that nowadays they are more selective than in the past. You need an income, apparently, in order to open an account, they don't accept just anyone (e.g. her, a student, at the time), any more...
Hope all this is of some help!
P.S. DD1, on the spot, has never heard of N26....
Old Aug 6th 2017, 8:20 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by dmu
DD2 is with DKB, but says that nowadays they are more selective than in the past. You need an income, apparently, in order to open an account, they don't accept just anyone (e.g. her, a student, at the time), any more...
Hope all this is of some help!
P.S. DD1, on the spot, has never heard of N26....
Merci encore. I read of the DKB selectivity and of N26 here https://www.movingto-berlin.com/german-bank-account/
Old Aug 7th 2017, 1:27 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I opened an account in Germany while visiting. I needed my passport and some money. Downside in Germany is that all bank accounts cost you. No free banking !
I have news for you: banks aren't philanthropic. There is no such thing as "free banking". They just get their money in a more transparent way.

Kind of like that "free" iPhone you get with your mobile contract, where you ultimately pay 20% more than if you bought it at MediaMarkt.

Free? That sounds expensive!
Old Aug 7th 2017, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

No free lunches ?
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

dzabski is an unknown quantity at this point

most bank accounts are free for 1 year. But after the first year you can move your account to a different bank and enjoy a free banking again
Old Nov 9th 2017, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

EkatVA is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd recommend N26 - easier to open than many other German accounts. They also have a really good app and customer service.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 7:40 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by EkatVA
I'd recommend N26 - easier to open than many other German accounts. They also have a really good app and customer service.
That's what my son did in fact. So far it appears to work fine. I had no problem transferring some money from a UK account to his N26 account.

ETA: Not my money, but an inheritance from his Grandfather's estate.