Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Help! Goteborg (Sweden) or Hamburg (Germany)?

Help! Goteborg (Sweden) or Hamburg (Germany)?

Old Aug 1st 2005, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

darkelf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! Goteborg (Sweden) or Hamburg (Germany)?

Hello everyone,

I am trying to decide which city might be preferable to live in, Hamburg, Germany or Goteborg, Sweden, for an English-speaking foreigner? I intend to learn German or Swedish intensively, depending upon where I end up.

My priorities for a city in order of importance are 1. Friendly and hospitable locals 2. "Cozy" neighborhoods (i.e. cafes, restaurants, bars, and stores all within easy walking distance of your flat) 3. Nice entertainment options & nightlife (doesn't have to be crazy or immense though) 4. Liberal and tolerant attitudes and 5. Decent work opportunities

I have visited both places and it seemed to me like the Swedes in Gothenburg were extremely friendly and kind to English-speaking tourists. Hamburg had more of a big city attitude, people didn't really care too much about you one way or the other. However, I also know that such things change quite significantly once one becomes a resident in a particular place and learns the local language.

Perhaps Germans are much easier to get to know and build relationships with once you speak German to a decent level?

Any thoughts, insights, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 6th 2005, 12:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help! Goteborg (Sweden) or Hamburg (Germany)?

Originally Posted by darkelf
Hello everyone,

I am trying to decide which city might be preferable to live in, Hamburg, Germany or Goteborg, Sweden, for an English-speaking foreigner? I intend to learn German or Swedish intensively, depending upon where I end up.

My priorities for a city in order of importance are 1. Friendly and hospitable locals 2. "Cozy" neighborhoods (i.e. cafes, restaurants, bars, and stores all within easy walking distance of your flat) 3. Nice entertainment options & nightlife (doesn't have to be crazy or immense though) 4. Liberal and tolerant attitudes and 5. Decent work opportunities
Is this an intended long or a short term residence?

Also consider:

- taxes (both direct and indirect) and government services
- cost of living (including real estate and cars) compared to salaries

Plus:

- what's your nationality? If you're not from an EEA member state or Switzerland, can you get a visa or permit?

- if planning to stay long term, you may want to become a citizen in due course. You'll need to verify this with official sources, but as far as I know Sweden is easier than Germany: 5 years and no problem with dual citizenship, vs 8 years and a probable requirement to show you have lost your existing citizenship.

Jeremy
Old Aug 10th 2005, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of
Default Re: Help! Goteborg (Sweden) or Hamburg (Germany)?

People in Hamburg are very arrogant..even to other Germans...Hamburg is also very expensive in housing...hope that helps.