Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Help finding work in Germany

Help finding work in Germany

Old May 31st 2017, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

vhoward is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help finding work in Germany

My partner moved to Germany in November 2016 with his company (Daimler) and we are now at a stage where I am looking to move out and join him (probaby around end of September time). The main issue is I just can't seem to find work. I am a qualified French and Spanish teacher and obviously also speak English but don't speak German :-( I've been trying to go to lessons through my local council but progress has been VERY slow as the lessons are once a week and the teacher's methods are...relaxed, shall we say.

Does anyone have any advice on the best, quickest way to get to a high(ish) level of German once I've moved out there or any advice on any jobs going that might not require a high level of German?

I have emailed a couple of language schools but basically am scared to move out to Germany without having a job sorted but think that is the only option..I have already been rejected from five or six jobs I've applied for out there.

I have experience in teaching, Consumer Relations, office administration-jack of all trades in some ways!

Thanks for any help or advice.
Old May 31st 2017, 5:01 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help finding work in Germany

Originally Posted by vhoward
My partner moved to Germany in November 2016 with his company (Daimler) and we are now at a stage where I am looking to move out and join him (probaby around end of September time). The main issue is I just can't seem to find work. I am a qualified French and Spanish teacher and obviously also speak English but don't speak German :-( I've been trying to go to lessons through my local council but progress has been VERY slow as the lessons are once a week and the teacher's methods are...relaxed, shall we say.

Does anyone have any advice on the best, quickest way to get to a high(ish) level of German once I've moved out there or any advice on any jobs going that might not require a high level of German?

I have emailed a couple of language schools but basically am scared to move out to Germany without having a job sorted but think that is the only option..I have already been rejected from five or six jobs I've applied for out there.

I have experience in teaching, Consumer Relations, office administration-jack of all trades in some ways!

Hi,
Can't help on the language-learning front, unless you do a course on one of the many internet sites. Not easy on your own, I know....
On the work front, you could always try English-speaking call centres at the beginning, while looking around for work. My two daughters did this in Berlin with French-speaking ones - the work was dire and wages low, but it gave them a bit of independence at the beginning.
If you're married, I presume your partner's Social Security will cover you. If not, you may have to sort out private healthcare insurance while seeking a salaried job. Some one more in the know will come along re "Partner" status in Germany, but in any case, the EHIC is only valid for tourists.
Hope this is of some help!
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 12:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vhoward

Have you looked at this site https://www.toytowngermany.com/jobs/ ?
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Goethe Institute is best for German Language courses.