Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

HELP TO BUY A VW TRANSPORTER

HELP TO BUY A VW TRANSPORTER

Old Sep 1st 2010, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

soontoretire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP TO BUY A VW TRANSPORTER

I want to buy a VW LHD Transporter Van. Low miles, Ex Demo or New. We are going to have it converted into a campervan to tour Europe. Can anyone point me in the direction of a VW stockists within a short drive of the ports who might be able to help? I don't speak any German so would need English speaking dealer or an interpreter.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

notathome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: HELP TO BUY A VW TRANSPORTER

First of all which country do you live in? If its the UK, then go to a VW dealer there and explain what you are looking for. It is possible to buy LHD new vehicles in the UK ready for export. If you are coming from far afield (Australia etc) then it is different.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

soontoretire is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by notathome
First of all which country do you live in? If its the UK, then go to a VW dealer there and explain what you are looking for. It is possible to buy LHD new vehicles in the UK ready for export. If you are coming from far afield (Australia etc) then it is different.
Unfortunately I have tried this and they do not import LHD commercials for people. I am now trying to find a VW agent in Germany within a reasonable drive to the port. preferably one who has someone who can speak English.
Old Sep 4th 2010, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

One of the nearest places in Germany to the Uk is Aachen. I would phone the VW Zentrum in Aachen. From the Uk you dial 0049241-9777-0. (from within Germany you dial 0241-9777-0) I am sure a big place like that will have someone who will speak English. the address is Trierer Strasse 169, 52078 Aachen.
There are several dealers in Aachen.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Once you are in France , fill up at Carefour ( Boulogne or Calais ) ; then you should be able to drive from Calais to Aachen in around 3 and a half hours ;
if no luck there , try Cologne ( also not far and a much bigger town ) .
Or google VW dealers d'Ieteren and Nearly New Car in Bruxelles ?
Old Sep 5th 2010, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

And while we're still on about driving to Aachen ( you could also take Eurostar to Bruxelles , then Thalys TGV to Germany - and Aachen itself is worth spending some tourist-time in ) , the Tankstelle Aachen Sud is perfect for nice and reasonably-priced self-service meal , if you enjoy that sort of thing . Good Luck !
Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

One of the nearest places in Germany to the Uk is Aachen. I would phone the VW Zentrum in Aachen. From the Uk you dial 0049241-9777-0. (from within Germany you dial 0241-9777-0) I am sure a big place like that will have someone who will speak English. the address is Trierer Strasse 169, 52078 Aachen.
There are several dealers in Aachen.
Thanks for that information. I have sent them an email and will let you know how I get on.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ray51
And while we're still on about driving to Aachen ( you could also take Eurostar to Bruxelles , then Thalys TGV to Germany - and Aachen itself is worth spending some tourist-time in ) , the Tankstelle Aachen Sud is perfect for nice and reasonably-priced self-service meal , if you enjoy that sort of thing . Good Luck !
Thanks
If we pull this off It looks like we will get a mini break in Aachen. We are based in Northern England and had thought of using the ferry back to Hull. Less driving on this side in an empty van. Where is the nearest airport to Aachen if we were to fly out?
Old Sep 5th 2010, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Various : Liege , Bruxelles , Charleroi , Cologne ...depending on the connexions you can get , from where you are ...
Old Sep 5th 2010, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Sounds like a good idea to fly in and drive back. There are some lovely places near Aachen.Once you have organised your mini break, let us know.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sounds like a good idea to fly in and drive back. There are some lovely places near Aachen.Once you have organised your mini break, let us know.
Had a very good response today from a VW Dealer in Antwerp very helpful and keen to sell us a new VW transporter to our spec. Major breakthrough. I'm excited.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Just seen your message. I am not sure if Antwerp means the VW would be more expensive, but as they are keen I would be tempted to deal with them. If you can pay cash you could get a deduction on the price. Good luck.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just seen your message. I am not sure if Antwerp means the VW would be more expensive, but as they are keen I would be tempted to deal with them. If you can pay cash you could get a deduction on the price. Good luck.
Hi
I have been quoted a 2000 euro discount on 24000 a very helpful salesman. It is now clear that we will have to have it transported because once it reaches the U.K. it has to have certain modifications before it can be driven on the U.K. roads. I am now looking into transportation costs. One price is £550 I guess if we added up 2 flights, fuel, ferry, accomodation it might not be much different. We were looking forward to the adventure.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

That sounds a very reasonable price, is it a new transporter? What requirements do the UK make, apart from the headlights?
Old Sep 10th 2010, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

That sounds a very reasonable price, is it a new transporter? What requirements do the UK make, apart from the headlights?
That is the ex VAT price.
Quite a few things to do.
Speedo has to have modification to the face to register MPH.
Lights to be adjusted.
Rear Fog light to be on the other side.
indicators fitted on the sides. [Which I think it will have, most do]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.