Reload this Page >

Health insurance troubles!

Health insurance troubles!

Old Jan 7th 2016, 9:20 am
Just Joined

bambie92 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Health insurance troubles!

Hello,

I have been living in Germany (Berlin) for the last year and for about 6 months I have been trying to sort out my health insurance! My situation has made things complicated:

I am a British citizen, 23 years old.
I am a student with the Open University, so, long distance and paying a European fee - not sure whether this changes my status as a British student.
I was recently mugged and had my EHIC stolen (I know I shouldn't have had it on me but was returning from doctors - worst luck!).
Intending to stay in Germany for the duration of my course (3 more years) and then probably continue living here after I graduate.

So, some websites say that as a student I am covered by the NHS but other sites say that it's only for 1 semester abroad. Also I'm not sure the Open University would be considered the same as 'studying abroad'.
I began the TKK application process only to be told by them that I am still under the NHS and need to provide 'proof' that I have left the NHS.
I have spoken to the OU, the NHS helpline and the TKK helpline and have got nowhere with anything. It's very frustrating and with the weather so cold at the moment I'm terrified of becoming ill and having to pay for treatment if it turns out I'm not covered.

Any help would be greatly appreciated if anyone has dealt with a similar situation or knows a number I could call for some solid advice on things.

Many thanks in advance
Old Jan 7th 2016, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health insurance troubles!

Originally Posted by bambie92
Hello, I have been living in Germany (Berlin) for the last year and for about 6 months I have been trying to sort out my health insurance! My situation has made things complicated: I am a British citizen, 23 years old.I am a student with the Open University, so, long distance and paying a European fee - not sure whether this changes my status as a British student.I was recently mugged and had my EHIC stolen (I know I shouldn't have had it on me but was returning from doctors - worst luck!).Intending to stay in Germany for the duration of my course (3 more years) and then probably continue living here after I graduate. So, some websites say that as a student I am covered by the NHS but other sites say that it's only for 1 semester abroad. Also I'm not sure the Open University would be considered the same as 'studying abroad'. I began the TKK application process only to be told by them that I am still under the NHS and need to provide 'proof' that I have left the NHS.I have spoken to the OU, the NHS helpline and the TKK helpline and have got nowhere with anything. It's very frustrating and with the weather so cold at the moment I'm terrified of becoming ill and having to pay for treatment if it turns out I'm not covered. Any help would be greatly appreciated if anyone has dealt with a similar situation or knows a number I could call for some solid advice on things. Many thanks in advance
The information is all here and if your card was stolen, you need to ring them:
If you are ordinarily resident and work in the UK, or if you are ordinarily resident in the UK and do not work, then it is likely that you will be considered to be insured by the UK under EU law and will be entitled to a UK EHIC. If you are:
  • - a pensioner in a different country to that which pays your state pension
  • - a student studying elsewhere in the EEA
  • - a student coming to study in the UK
  • - a worker posted abroad by your UK employer
  • - a person who lives in one country but works in another
  • - a person who lives in more than one country
  • - a person who works in more than one country
  • - non EEA or Swiss national
please read Access to Healthcare Abroad or contact the enquiry line on 0300 330 1350 to determine your eligibility for an EHIC.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 10:06 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
If you are ordinarily resident and work in the UK, or if you are ordinarily resident in the UK and do not work, then it is likely that you will be considered to be insured by the UK under EU law and will be entitled to a UK EHIC.
She says she has been living in Germany for the last year, and intends to continue living there after the course finishes. She is doing an OU course that only means a short time each year actually at a college, the majority is done at home and via TV and/or radio, so it's entirely possible that she would NOT be classed as ordinarily resident in the UK, in fact, according to the OP she is NOT resident in the UK.
OP are you registered as resident in Germany? if not, why not as you have been living there for the last year.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
She says she has been living in Germany for the last year, and intends to continue living there after the course finishes. She is doing an OU course that only means a short time each year actually at a college, the majority is done at home and via TV and/or radio, so it's entirely possible that she would NOT be classed as ordinarily resident in the UK, in fact, according to the OP she is NOT resident in the UK. OP are you registered as resident in Germany? if not, why not as you have been living there for the last year.
The best thing to do is to call the number 0300 3301350, as her card was stolen. They can also tell if she's covered or not, because each case is different: If it's just some online course, then I doubt she'll be covered, but it's always better to ring personally.Your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) will enable you to access state-provided healthcare in Germany at a reduced cost, or sometimes for free. It will cover you for treatment until you return to the UK. It also covers you for treatment of pre-existing medical conditions and for routine maternity care, provided the reason for your visit is not specifically to give birth. Non-EEA nationals are covered in Germany.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jan 7th 2016 at 10:27 am.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

hales is on a distinguished road

My medical German insurance company wished me a Happy New Year by increasing my contributions by 25euro to 200euros a month. I am ex-forces with a British military pension. I worked for a short time on the German economy so get a very small German pension and I'm fast approaching 80. I manage to claim a small amount of my prescription fees back each year. But it is becoming a strain. My friends say go back to the UK!
Old Jan 18th 2016, 1:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a UK State Retirement Pension you should get access to medical teatment in Germany.http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...-retirees.aspx

Last edited by scot47; Jan 18th 2016 at 1:58 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 2:00 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
If you have a UK State pension you should get access to medical teatment in Germany.
He should get access to medical treatment in the same way a German pensioner does, just because he's a UK citizen doesn't ensure he gets everything free, pensioners i Spain have to pay a percentage of the costs, doesn't matter whether they are Spanish , British or any other EU citizenship.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, he will not get NHS treatment in Germany - he will get what the locals are entitled to.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 2:13 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by scot47
Yes, he will not get NHS treatment in Germany - he will get what the locals are entitled to.
If he gets a UK state pension then he needs to get the S1 form, or whateverit might be now, and get into the German state health service, and cur out his private costs.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

I don't mind contributing but I object to the gross amount of my Forces pension being used when the Brits have already had their share.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Come and live in Scotland !
Old Jan 19th 2016, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

I was at Leuchars for 18months in the late sixties. At least I would speak the language.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Not sure about that The BBC Weather-wallahs cannot say "Leuchars" and substitute the word "Lucas" which is not the same !
Old Jan 21st 2016, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Health insurance troubles!

Hales:

A UK (ex) Military pension is not the same as a UK (state) Pension.

Based on your residency your rights and entitlements will be adjusted accordingly under EU rules.

To receive a German Pension of any kind you would have had to be on the German system for a minimum of 5 years. I therefore assume you have lived/worked in Germany for a while in that case.

Your military pension would not be taxed by UK if you live outside UK or are classed as non-resident in UK by HMRC.

If you have a dual entitlement to a UK State pension, the Military pension is reduced by a percentage to take account of that. (how nice of them).

Once again you would have to check if you are paying UK Tax on that or not. Being resident in Germany, that should not be the case.

If you do pay UK taxes for some reason, there are dual taxation agreements between UK and Germany so you'll only pay taxes in one place or the other.

The German tax office will look at your total income from UK and tax you accordingly. You would pay the regular Krankenkasse charges like now.

If you are stumped by all this, go visit a tax advisor (Steuerberater).
For 50 - 60 Euro's they can normally clear up these questions.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 2:49 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that info. I think that for some things I'm classed as UK based and other things - not. Over 20 years in British forces:- military pension plus UK OAP. And we may as well go for 3 - 18 years on the Germany economy for small German pension. German DAK increased Krankenversicherung to 175,01 Euro and Pflegeversicherung to 25,54 from this month!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.