Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Has anyone moved to Germany recently?

Has anyone moved to Germany recently?

Old Aug 13th 2014, 11:05 am
Just Joined

FrogFace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone moved to Germany recently?

Thinking of a move next year. Started learning German so hope to have a head start.

My feeling at the moment is either Berlin, Munich or possibly Frankfurt. How friendly are those cities to dogs? Have you made many friends?

How employable are you, as a brit?

I work in the IT sector

Not sure what else to ask so if you fancy chiming in with your own experiences that'd be nice.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone moved to Germany recently?

Originally Posted by FrogFace
Thinking of a move next year. Started learning German so hope to have a head start.

My feeling at the moment is either Berlin, Munich or possibly Frankfurt. How friendly are those cities to dogs? Have you made many friends?

How employable are you, as a brit?

I work in the IT sector

Not sure what else to ask so if you fancy chiming in with your own experiences that'd be nice.
Ok, you're learning German so that's a good start With IT you'll be fine in all cities (depending on experience) and with dogs it can be difficult. Mostly pets aren't allowed and especially in a flat dogs aren't really welcome. Personally I wouldn't like Frankfurt for living, however there are some nice places to live if you're willing to commute. Munich is a much nicer city, but more expensive and salaries in IT wouldn't be higher than Frankfurt. Berlin is the cheapest of those three, but salaries are lower too.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, learn German and have money in the bank account . Even if you will find a job that requires only English your future options will be severely limited without fluent German. IT sector is doing pretty good but it really depends on your expertise and qualifications. Have a look here for jobs www.stepstone.de Be prepared to have to search for a job for a while till you get how Germans tick. Bring all the papers you got (certificates, degrees, if possible get references from your employers in writing). Germans love papers. Consider to get your degree recognized BAMF - Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge - Startseite

Dogs are a problem. But quite a few Germans own dogs so there must be a way. My guess would be that maybe Berlin might be the easier city because its rental market is not at tight as in Munich or Frankfurt though getting there.
As Moses said Berlin is the still the cheapest but rental costs are rising much faster than salaries Berlin probably has the best art and culture as well as entertainment and party scene. Munich and Frankfurt offer better outdoor recreational opportunities than Berlin. Berlin has a lot of water (lakes and rivers) but the surroundings are flat. You can ski in the Riesengebirge in Czech Republic. The ocean is about 3 to 4 hours drive. In Munich you have the Alps as your playground. 5 hours drive and you are at the Mediterranean. I am not to too familiar with Frankfurt. But all my friends living there love the surroundings. The Taunus is very close by and in 2 hours your are in France.

To meet Germans can be a problem. They all have their family and friends and are not actively searching. You probably need to find yourself a hobby. Your dog might help you as well There are also lots of groups that meet, search websites such as meet up and if you like join them. There will be mostly other expats but also a few Germans. Give it time!

Last edited by Assanah; Aug 14th 2014 at 5:02 am.
Old Aug 14th 2014, 8:54 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Munich, beautiful, awsome.Opportunities in IT fair.
Berlin, probably one of the greatest cities ITW.IT opportunities above avg.
Frankfurt. Economic center of Germany, maybe Europe.IT opportunities top.
> I worked in Frankfurt 23 years loved it, seen it grow, now a great youths city. <
Beware !!! IT jobs all over Europe,old eastern countries have high skilled labour, and are cheaper.
Even Germany outsources....
whatever.... go for it!!!!! . I enjoy my life here.presently on a cycling holiday along the Elbe.

ooops, nearly forgot, Dogs enough places take them.
expensive, all cities are cheap or expensive as you make them

Last edited by fuchs01; Aug 14th 2014 at 8:58 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuchs01
Munich, beautiful, awsome.Opportunities in IT fair.
Berlin, probably one of the greatest cities ITW.IT opportunities above avg.
Frankfurt. Economic center of Germany, maybe Europe.IT opportunities top.
> I worked in Frankfurt 23 years loved it, seen it grow, now a great youths city. <
Beware !!! IT jobs all over Europe,old eastern countries have high skilled labour, and are cheaper.
Even Germany outsources....
whatever.... go for it!!!!! . I enjoy my life here.presently on a cycling holiday along the Elbe.

ooops, nearly forgot, Dogs enough places take them.
expensive, all cities are cheap or expensive as you make them
Don't agree with Frankfurt. I come from there and it is quite a rough city. It's mainly finance that makes it the economic center + airport. I agree with cycling, it's great all over Germany. Other city to consider for IT would be Stuttgart in my opinion.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

rammy100 is an unknown quantity at this point

We moved to Berlin a few months back, having spent a lot of time over here during previous years, with our dog and I can't recall any problems at all.

A lot of Germans rent apartments and there are a lot of dogs here. We are renting at the moment and didn't have a problem finding somewhere to live. As it happens, our dog died and our landlord is trying to persuade us to get another.

As a rule dogs are allowed in cafes, bars, restaurants, shops (not supermarkets), on public transport (they are meant to be muzzled but I haven't seen this enforced). They are meant to be on leads in a lot of parks but again this isn't always what happens in practice.

Germans seem to like dogs and in my experience, having one encourages people to open up and be friendly.
Old Aug 15th 2014, 9:03 pm

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Don't agree with Frankfurt. I come from there and it is quite a rough city. It's mainly finance that makes it the economic center + airport. I agree with cycling, it's great all over Germany. Other city to consider for IT would be Stuttgart in my opinion.
yup Stuttgart a good call that...
saying you come from Frankfurt might make you negatively bias.
before I retired, > I worked at the Stock exchange..IT tech < Many young Germans and
Brits thought it was quite brilliant for theater, clubs, and pubs, including the suburbs.
places like Bornheim etc.
when I 1st worked in FFM it was rather dead, but 20+yrs on its grown and has some
good nightlife , and WE green lazy, sontags relaxen spots.
Mind you, ima grandaddy now so my life is in the country, a longway from hectic.
A good nite out might kill me off
Old Aug 15th 2014, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fuchs01
yup Stuttgart a good call that...
saying you come from Frankfurt might make you negatively bias.
before I retired, > I worked at the Stock exchange..IT tech < Many young Germans and
Brits thought it was quite brilliant for theater, clubs, and pubs, including the suburbs.
places like Bornheim etc.
when I 1st worked in FFM it was rather dead, but 20+yrs on its grown and has some
good nightlife , and WE green lazy, sontags relaxen spots.
Mind you, ima grandaddy now so my life is in the country, a longway from hectic.
A good nite out might kill me off
Could be true, but I just found that some areas where a bit dodgy. It used to be called Hauptstadt des Verbrechens. It has changed, so maybe I'm wrong. Still wouldn't want to live in Offenbach, no matter what they say.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

notathome is an unknown quantity at this point

We have lived in Bavaria for over 40 years. Right now we live in the countryside S/W of Munich. Munich is our favourite town in Germany and, if like us, you choose a place outside the town, but on the local train network, you will have no difficulty finding a place to rent with a dog.
Old Aug 16th 2014, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Could be true, but I just found that some areas where a bit dodgy. It used to be called Hauptstadt des Verbrechens. It has changed, so maybe I'm wrong. Still wouldn't want to live in Offenbach, no matter what they say.
last sentence couldnt agree more, they should use the old stones from the DDR
wall, to build one around Offenbach