Germany VS UK

Old Feb 13th 2016, 3:54 pm
ZLI
Just Joined

ZLI is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Germany VS UK

Hi all!

After weird path of schooling I ended up working in Germany. I'm electrical engineer. Thing is, my German sucks and I realized that I'll need at least 2 years only to start speak "normally". I'm thinking about going back to UK but some colleagues are telling me that I will never earn so much money as I can in Germany. I have normal beginners engineering salary here by the way.

Because of my schooling abroad, I'm not into UK's labor market and I can't analyze how good or bad situation there really is. Or how it will be for next few years comparing to Germany which will obviously have some problems with refugee issues.

Is situation there comparable to Germany or really and obviously worse?
Old Feb 15th 2016, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Germany VS UK

Life in UK is fine if you are a merchant banker.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 3:57 pm
ZLI
Just Joined

That's what I was afraid of because I feel a bit sick when I see flat renting fees...
Old Feb 15th 2016, 4:02 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ZLI
That's what I was afraid of because I feel a bit sick when I see flat renting fees...
Yes, but you are probably looking at London prices, get out of the London area, and the center of cities and rents are much lower, with rents as low as £400 and less a month. The UK has, currently, the best ecconomy in the EU, and certainly doesn't have the ridiculous migration problem caused by accepting a million refugees from Syria and Africa.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 4:26 pm
ZLI
Just Joined

OK, now I like where this discussion is going.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I pay £300 a month but I am in Ultima Thule where there are no jobs.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

My son is an Electrician; the pay is OK, but nothing special at starting level (normal beginners). Assuming you have proper Electrical Engineering qualifications and experience in a relative field, then I think there is plenty of work being advertised.

My advice is to use Google to find the details of some of the Recruitment agency's in the UK, then give them a call to see if you can find work here; they'll also give you an idea of the type of salary someone with your qualifications can get. Do not under any circumstances go with one that wants money from you up front.

Once you know you can get work and how much you can earn, you can look around for accommodation rentals, then start to build up your knowledge as to whether it's doable.

My own opinion, unless you are desperate to leave, learn German and stay where you are. I lived in Germany for a long time and have been in and out quite a bit since I left; I always wonder why on earth anybody would want to leave Germany for the UK.
Old Feb 15th 2016, 9:46 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cynic
My son is an Electrician; the pay is OK, but nothing special at starting level (normal beginners). Assuming you have proper Electrical Engineering qualifications and experience in a relative field, then I think there is plenty of work being advertised.

My advice is to use Google to find the details of some of the Recruitment agency's in the UK, then give them a call to see if you can find work here; they'll also give you an idea of the type of salary someone with your qualifications can get. Do not under any circumstances go with one that wants money from you up front.

Once you know you can get work and how much you can earn, you can look around for accommodation rentals, then start to build up your knowledge as to whether it's doable.

My own opinion, unless you are desperate to leave, learn German and stay where you are. I lived in Germany for a long time and have been in and out quite a bit since I left; I always wonder why on earth anybody would want to leave Germany for the UK.
I stayed, never again looked elswhere.Love the country.Now retired.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 4:00 am
ZLI
Just Joined

Thank you Cynic for very helpful post.

I'm not desperate, trying to make decision (right one ) and hold onto it.

I heard your last sentence from few people so far and still asking myself "What's the main difference?". Why is life in Germany much easier?
Old Feb 16th 2016, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

Cynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond reputeCynic has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think it's particularly easier, Germany can be very frustrating and people often think the grass is greener on the other side; my experience from living in both is that Germany is a nicer place to live, but doing it without being able to speak German would be hard and I can understand your thoughts.

I'd really try to get out there and learn the language, I think you'll find it pays dividends. They used to offer free language courses, look around and see what you can find. Don't be afraid to make mistakes; we all started off like that (and my German is still atrocious - Mrs C (who's Dutch) tells me I speak it like a Turk - not sure if that's a compliment).
Old Feb 16th 2016, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ZLI
Thank you Cynic for very helpful post. I'm not desperate, trying to make decision (right one ) and hold onto it. I heard your last sentence from few people so far and still asking myself "What's the main difference?". Why is life in Germany much easier?
Germany is certainly not easier, but again depends on the individual and area. Germany has some beautiful parts/ugly parts, so no different to the UK. When it comes to wages, you could be worse off in Germany, or better off. To really compare, you need to know what the salary will offer you in that specific area.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You must learn German - not just "Ladendeutsch" but the real deal.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 4:56 pm
ZLI
Just Joined

Yes, I'm aware of that and that is my dilemma all about. I need at least two years to integrate properly. At the moment, I have ideas, ambition, motivation to do some things which I can do in Germany also but only with fluent German. Basically, I'm afraid of spending too much time/energy only on language. I know there are courses and schools to learn but for "real deal", I think less than two years is too optimistic to expect.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Success is more likely if you have already learned another language.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 5:04 pm
ZLI
Just Joined

I have basics but "real deal" is something else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.