Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

German Citizenship query

German Citizenship query

Old Jan 18th 2017, 2:26 pm
Banned

rsbhj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default German Citizenship query

I am looking to see if I can obtain German citizenship through my mother via my grandfather.

My grandfather was born in 1922 in what was East Germany. He later moved to Britain where he met my grandmother and married, then they both went to Canada and returned to the UK. He was naturalised in 1974 (British Citizen). He later died in 1977

My mother was born 1952 during my grandparents time in Canada and holds Canadian and British citizenship, as she was a minor in 1969 she wasn’t naturalised but obtained British Citizenship then.

I hold British citizenship from birth and I obtained Canadian citizenship a few years ago through descent of my mother.

Firstly can my mother claim her German citizenship through her father?

Secondly if the above answer is yes, can I claim this through my mother?

The below statements I found are suggesting my mother is, but as my grandfather was naturlised does the below still apply.

Children born in wedlock between Jan. 1, 1914 and Dec. 31, 1974, acquired German citizenship only if the father was a German citizen at the time of their birth.

The below statement would then suggest I am if the above applies.

Children born in wedlock after Jan. 1, 1975, acquired German citizenship if one of the parents was a German citizen at the time of their birth.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 10:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: German Citizenship query

My comments below concern the situation in the period relevant to your case between 1913 and 2000 (the legislation has changed quite considerably since then)

German citizenship is passed on primarily by descent, up to 31 December 1974 (usually) only by the father and from 1 January 1975 by either parent, as you've already established.

Once you've obtained it, it's quite difficult to lose it. The main reason for losing it is applying for and obtaining the citizenship of another country. You don't normally lose it though by acquiring the citizenship of another country automatically at birth.

Consequently, the main obstacles to you asserting your German citizenship would be:

- If your grandfather applied for Canadian citizenship before your mother's birth.
- If your mother applied for British citizenship before your birth wnen her family returned to the UK (as opposed to acquiring it automatically at birth by descent from your grandmother). This could be the case if, for example, your grandmother had renounced British citizenship before your mother's birth in order to become a Canadian citizen, and then re-applied for British citizenship after her return.
- If you applied for Canadian citizenship, as opposed to acquiring it automatically at birth.

That's my understanding of the situation; your next step is to contact the German embassy.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 11:59 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Watchpost
My comments below concern the situation in the period relevant to your case between 1913 and 2000 (the legislation has changed quite considerably since then)

German citizenship is passed on primarily by descent, up to 31 December 1974 (usually) only by the father and from 1 January 1975 by either parent, as you've already established.

Once you've obtained it, it's quite difficult to lose it. The main reason for losing it is applying for and obtaining the citizenship of another country. You don't normally lose it though by acquiring the citizenship of another country automatically at birth.

Consequently, the main obstacles to you asserting your German citizenship would be:

- If your grandfather applied for Canadian citizenship before your mother's birth.
- If your mother applied for British citizenship before your birth wnen her family returned to the UK (as opposed to acquiring it automatically at birth by descent from your grandmother). This could be the case if, for example, your grandmother had renounced British citizenship before your mother's birth in order to become a Canadian citizen, and then re-applied for British citizenship after her return.
- If you applied for Canadian citizenship, as opposed to acquiring it automatically at birth.

That's my understanding of the situation; your next step is to contact the German embassy.
Hi

Thanks for the info these were some concerns of mines also.

The way I see it, but just not sure if anything will get in the way when applying now rather than years ago at the time.

So my grandfather is German citizen by birth, and my mother at the time of her birth would be also entitled to this through her father, but as he gave this up to become a British citizen does this stop my mother applying now.

My grandfather never had Canadian citizenship
My grandmother also never had Canadian citizenship, she has only had British.
I applied for Canadian citizenship through decent a few years ago (via my mother)
Old Jan 19th 2017, 12:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I'll give a longer response this evening but one preliminary question to the OP: was your grandfather Jewish?
Old Jan 19th 2017, 5:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I'll give a longer response this evening but one preliminary question to the OP: was your grandfather Jewish?

Hi

No he wasnt Jewish
Old Jan 20th 2017, 11:15 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rsbhj
Hi

No he wasnt Jewish
Also, which year were you born?
Old Jan 21st 2017, 12:06 pm
Banned

Also, which year were you born?
Old Jan 21st 2017, 12:28 pm

Do you have your mother's Certificate of Registration as a Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies? I see that as being the only potential hiccup.
Old Jan 21st 2017, 3:55 pm
Banned

Do you have your mother's Certificate of Registration as a Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies? I see that as being the only potential hiccup.
Yes I have that document
Old Jan 21st 2017, 7:59 pm

I would opined then your mother is a German citizen by descent through her father as he was a sole German citizen when she was born and didn't acquire British citizenship which is likely to have caused him to lose his German citizenship until after she was an adult.

Your mother did acquire British citizenship after birth but as a minor and therefore this is unlikely to be treated as voluntary acquisition. As she was a German citizen at the time of your birth in 1982 then you would also have acquired German citizenship by descent at birth.

Both your British (birth) and Canadian (descent) citizenship was obtained automatically so your actions so far won't have threatened your German citizenship.
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 9:15 am
Banned

I would opined then your mother is a German citizen by descent through her father as he was a sole German citizen when she was born and didn't acquire British citizenship which is likely to have caused him to lose his German citizenship until after she was an adult.

Your mother did acquire British citizenship after birth but as a minor and therefore this is unlikely to be treated as voluntary acquisition. As she was a German citizen at the time of your birth in 1982 then you would also have acquired German citizenship by descent at birth.

Both your British (birth) and Canadian (descent) citizenship was obtained automatically so your actions so far won't have threatened your German citizenship.
Thanks for your advise, my mother is going to make an appointment to check things officially