Reload this Page >

Geerman PayPal account without German address

Geerman PayPal account without German address

Old Jan 14th 2016, 2:15 am
Just Joined

soth3d is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Geerman PayPal account without German address

Hi,

I've opened German PayPal account some time ago to send Euro to my German account, but I hit the wall after withdrawing 2500 EUR. PayPal asked me for the proof of the address. As my German bank account is sending all correspondence to UK and I never 'lived' in Germany really, there is no way for me to do that...

I was thinking about calling my bank and giving them my friend Berlin address, and ask them to mail all correspondence there, but will that work? (I have personal account in Deutsche Bank)

I am bit worried to call bank, as to change the address back to UK one I been told I need to go to the branch. As I am planning to stay in East Asia for next 6 months or more I don't find it very appealing...

Kind Regards
Tomek
Old Jan 14th 2016, 6:14 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Geerman PayPal account without German address

I sometimes refer to PayPal as "PainPal".

Yes, they have all kinds of security measures to combat fraud and money laundering. Unless you have a business account, I believe you are limited to €2000 per year in transactions before it triggers the same KYC requirements as a bank (they need proof of who you are, where you reside, just like any bank).

Even without doing anything resembling "suspicious" they often freeze funds pending "investigation". I find that frustrating. But the world being what it is, I suppose there's some good that comes of it.

Usually when they "freeze" funds, they eventually straighten things out, but in your case, you'd better contact them and tell them your story ASAP, because they might leave the money in limbo forever.
Old Jan 14th 2016, 8:47 am
Just Joined

thank you for the response. Actually my money was not frozen, I am just unable to send it to my German Bank Account... I am quite sure if I will tell them that I do not live in Germany, they will give me a boot, so I am looking for other options.

The easy one, ask my bank to send the letter to my friend but with my name as addressee (I have no idea if that will work in Germany), or actually rent the place (room) in Germany and register with local Council... 2nd one doesn't sound very attractive as it will require to fly to Europe.

I receive few 1000s Euro every month and i buy stuff to sell paying with PP too, exchanging money to GBP in UK and sending to German bank account via wire transfer works out quite terribly form me (have to pay exchange fees TWICE!).
Old Jan 27th 2016, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

rammy100 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not an expert here but I wonder if the following scenario will work.

Can you not open a UK Paypal account and set the currency to Euros (you can do this) and nominate your Deutsche Bank account as the place to which you will transfer funds? That way you have dealt with the address issue as you have the same UK address for both Paypal and DB.

As you are receiving Euros and paying them directly into a Euro account, in theory, that should avoid any exchange fees.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 1:09 am
Just Joined

only UK and US banks are allowed (more, if i will withdraw USD to my US bank account they will exchange it to GBP and send it to the bank, that will exchange it back to USD, WTF!?!)

I am considering barclaycard.co.uk now instead of Paypal.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 9:33 am
Just Joined

OUTDOOR is an unknown quantity at this point

First of all - unless you tell Paypal about your bank details (ie registered address, mailing address, co signers,...) they will not find out. Banks do not share any personal information to paypal (unless there is some kind of judicial warrant or something). Why would they?

Second: it seems like your pp account is now limited due to lack of KYC or any other reason. This could be IP address, various ebay usernames you have used or anything. the algorithms ebay and PP use are quite sophisticated and they are legally allowed to do this (it is part of their T&Cs).

If you can move any funds from your account I would do that. Move it to a place where you can actually withdraw.

The idea presented above is good if the regional PP accounts would allow foreign bank accounts. It is not possible in your or my case (UK PP needs UK account).

What you could try is a solution like payoneer - they offer accounts for foreign residents.