forces pensions

Old Jun 3rd 2015, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

pippy99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default forces pensions

Hi guys My name is phil am 56 years old ex forces and am thinking of moving abroad, but unsure as to where to retire to. I have a forces invalidity pension (losing my hearing) and also a war pension. both pensions are tax free, does anyone know how or if my pensions will be effected if I move abroad say to Germany.
I have just been made redundant by the MOD and have chosen to preserve my pension till im 60,this though will be taxable.
I am looking for a better life somewhere else like Germany, but I don't speak the language,just wondered if anyone had any advise,It would be very much appreciated.
Kind regards
Phil
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 10:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: forces pensions

Welcome to BE Phil.

I am moving your thread over to our Germany forum...hopefully you will someone who can help you in that forum. Good luck.
Old Jun 4th 2015, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippy99
Hi guys My name is phil am 56 years old ex forces and am thinking of moving abroad, but unsure as to where to retire to. I have a forces invalidity pension (losing my hearing) and also a war pension. both pensions are tax free, does anyone know how or if my pensions will be effected if I move abroad say to Germany.
I have just been made redundant by the MOD and have chosen to preserve my pension till im 60,this though will be taxable.
I am looking for a better life somewhere else like Germany, but I don't speak the language,just wondered if anyone had any advise,It would be very much appreciated.
Kind regards
Phil
Wann muss ich als Rentner Steuern zahlen? Und wie viel? . VLH
In general you have to pay tax on your pension if you are above the threshold (€8.354). There are a lot of factors (age, income, when you retire). Germany has a complex tax system and it's not that easy, especially if you don't speak a word of German. If you are above the threshold you will have to do a Steuererklärung, but like anywhere you can claim money back. It's always best to use a Steuerberater (tax advisor). The question is why do you want to move to Germany and what would be a better life for you?
Old Jun 5th 2015, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Life without knowing the language will be difficult. Perhaps you should look at the possibility of moving to a country where English is more widely used. Malta ? Cyprus ?
Old Jun 5th 2015, 12:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

themajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond reputethemajor has a reputation beyond repute

I would recomend Cyprus. No tax to pay if the income is below €19,500-00
Just about everyone speaks the Queens English.
Drive on the same side of the road-the left
A great warm friendly place to live with very low priced accomodation.
Lots of ex-forces here.
Old Jun 5th 2015, 1:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themajor
I would recomend Cyprus. No tax to pay if the income is below €19,500-00
Just about everyone speaks the Queens English.
Drive on the same side of the road-the left
A great warm friendly place to live with very low priced accomodation.
Lots of ex-forces here.
English is spoken all over the world and still isn't the main language in Cyprus. You also have to consider that Cyprus is not ideal for many people. It's an island very far away, too close to Syria and not really cheaper than many other places. Just depends what the OP wants.
Old Jun 6th 2015, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Phil, if you are in Devon, most people would wonder why you want to move in the first place! First of all, during your forces time were you in Germany already? Perhaps that's your starting point, maybe not. It's not the efficient business machine and job creating utopia that many think it is. It's a massive country with some stunning scenery, but the language will be a major headache for you. It will take you at least 2 years to learn it well enough to hold a good conversation as well as at home. Then there is the problem of regional accents and dialects. There is a lot of unemployment and social security provisions are (just like in UK) under constant review and your entitlement to certain aspects is dependent on a working history in Germany.

Many EU countries have tough tax laws which will wipe out much of your hard-earned pension before you even visit the supermarket, others have higher tax thresholds or are especially lenient when it comes to those with a disability pension.

My recommendation would be to travel around Europe a little and see what suits you..and continue your research online regarding tax-friendly retirement destinations. Cyprus is OK if you like the sunny weather. There are other options closer to home.

Good luck with your search.!