Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Is it essential to speak german for barwork?

Is it essential to speak german for barwork?

Old Jan 11th 2014, 11:55 am
Just Joined

Arnold_Swarzenegger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it essential to speak german for barwork?

Hi all
I'm thinking of heading over to germany to try for
barwork. Just how essential is it you speak german?

Many thanks
Justin
Old Jan 11th 2014, 1:20 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it essential to speak german for barwork?

Originally Posted by Arnold_Swarzenegger
Hi all

Many thanks
Justin
Sorry to say that the situation is the same all over Europe and you'd be competing with bi- and even tri-lingual candidates for any jobs going.
Google "Pubs/Bars - Berlin", for example, or "Gelbe Seiten" (yellow pages) and enter "Pubs/Bars" and any other town that takes your fancy, and apply to them directly, before you leave.
The problem of justifying enough income when renting is also applicable in Germany - we were Guarantors for our daughters when their income was too low, and income from bar work (justified by payslips, so work on the black wouldn't be valid) wouldn't satisfy potential landlords....
Also, you may not need German to work in a bar, but you'd be lost for everyday life, Administration, etc... if you don't understand non-English-speaking locals.
Good luck in your search!
Old Jan 11th 2014, 2:30 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Many thanks
Justin
Originally Posted by dmu
Sorry to say that the situation is the same all over Europe and you'd be competing with bi- and even tri-lingual candidates for any jobs going.
Google "Pubs/Bars - Berlin", for example, or "Gelbe Seiten" (yellow pages) and enter "Pubs/Bars" and any other town that takes your fancy, and apply to them directly, before you leave.
The problem of justifying enough income when renting is also applicable in Germany - we were Guarantors for our daughters when their income was too low, and income from bar work (justified by payslips, so work on the black wouldn't be valid) wouldn't satisfy potential landlords....
Also, you may not need German to work in a bar, but you'd be lost for everyday life, Administration, etc... if you don't understand non-English-speaking locals.
Good luck in your search!
OP, I wouldn't be quite so negative as dmu in your case. There are Irish Pubs all over Germany, especially in university towns, where the majority of the bar staff are <surprise> Irish, many of whom are monolingual at first and who pick up German as they go. There were three such pubs in the medium sized (~150,000 pop) city where I used to live.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 8:48 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I concur with Novocastrian. Plenty of British/Irish pubs where you can try your luck.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 9:14 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I concur with Novocastrian. Plenty of British/Irish pubs where you can try your luck.
That's the point - I know there are plenty of pubs, but are there many vacancies? Germany is also hit by the economic crisis and the OP should find out what opportunities there are before taking the plunge, rather than turn up with nothing lined up. Savings only last for so long....
I wish him All the Best with his search
Old Jan 12th 2014, 3:04 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
That's the point - I know there are plenty of pubs, but are there many vacancies? Germany is also hit by the economic crisis and the OP should find out what opportunities there are before taking the plunge, rather than turn up with nothing lined up. Savings only last for so long....
I wouldn't recommend going over without a job offer but a lack of German shouldn't be too much of hindrance if job searching for bar work in a British or Irish pub from the UK. It just depends where the OP is looking to move to. Plenty of places in cities on the Rhine thanks to the long-standing British army presence.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 4:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Oh absolutely he should have a job to go to.

There's hope though, the turnover among the young Irish bar staff is rather high, most of them came over for about a year often taking a break during or after uni.

I spent a good deal of time (perhaps too much ) in one of those pubs and the new hires usual just roomed with existing staff at first. The old lags were always a great help in getting the new ones through the bureaucracy too.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 12:26 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Did it myself, many summers ago, but I spoke German, so it wasn't an issue. I would recommend Frankfurt as an area to add to the list if you're looking to find Irish pubs though - I made some Irish friends, working in bars there, who didn't speak a word.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 8:54 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Many thanks
Justin
Somesay dont go without a job, I say go, because you will only find this type of
work, by a) knowing somebody b) speaking to the bar owners direct.

There are a few Irish theme pubs with Irish owners and staff, in quite a few cities,
Some where Irish bands play regularly.They may give you a better chance, guarranteed clientel.

Irish harp Berlin, 2-4 pubs in Berlin, under same ownership.
Dusseldorf, Dortmund, cologne, are other good bets.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 9:06 pm
seenbeendonenocriesnowhys

fuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond reputefuchs01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuchs01
Somesay dont go without a job, I say go, because you will only find this type of
work, by a) knowing somebody b) speaking to the bar owners direct.

There are a few Irish theme pubs with Irish owners and staff, in quite a few cities,
Some where Irish bands play regularly.They may give you a better chance, guarranteed clientel.

Irish harp Berlin, 2-4 pubs in Berlin, under same ownership.
Dusseldorf, Dortmund, cologne, are other good bets.
Just to say, when I say go, save some money, spend a few weeks looking, my
opinion, taking a jump doesnt hurt, even if it means, no success in your search,and
you go back home, but maybe you have made the right contacts and widened your
Horizons, in seeing if you can realise your dream.