Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

British and German Food

British and German Food

Old Jan 4th 2013, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British and German Food

I agree with you but I am not sure that Currywurst and "Healthy Eating" go together !
Old Jan 4th 2013, 12:08 pm
Just Joined

Hayley89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yes that's completely contradictory of me of course! Still less calories than a McDonalds, hahaha!
Old Jan 4th 2013, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

hales is on a distinguished road

I always find Kaufland expensive. Try the ECenter for your noodles.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Son-in-law has been posted back to Germany - Herford. They were in Munster last, some 8 years ago. As a keen cook and a French resident I couldn't wrap my head around the food available other than the bread and some vegetables from the market. Daughter, and me too when I visited, struggled to find the sort of ingredients we are both used to. I don't think she ever actually found a "proper" butcher's shop.

Any tips for this time? They are due there in 3 weeks (from Virginia USA) so I think she is in for a big culture, as well as temperature shock.
Old Jan 18th 2013, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Our cousins in Germany do all their shopping at the Supermarket ! The days of the "Kaufman" and the "Fleischer" are gone, never to return !
Old Jan 18th 2013, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Which supermarket? In Munster there was only Lidl within sensible driving distance
Old Jan 18th 2013, 11:03 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grannybunz
Which supermarket? In Munster there was only Lidl within sensible driving distance
http://4local.u121.com/cgi-bin/searc...ountry=Germany

It's a bit disturbing, but despite having lived not all that far from there 20 odd years ago, I don't recognize any of the names except Aldi.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Son-in-law has been posted back to Germany - Herford. They were in Munster last, some 8 years ago. As a keen cook and a French resident I couldn't wrap my head around the food available other than the bread and some vegetables from the market. Daughter, and me too when I visited, struggled to find the sort of ingredients we are both used to. I don't think she ever actually found a "proper" butcher's shop.

Any tips for this time? They are due there in 3 weeks (from Virginia USA) so I think she is in for a big culture, as well as temperature shock.
Farmer's markets maybe? Also, I don't think it is uncommon to struggle to find ingredients in another country. So they probably have to adjust their diet to whatever is available in Münster. There might be Asia shops for more 'exotic' ingredients. Just have to find it and drive there.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

They are going to Herford.

There was a market in Munster which was great if you wanted a certain selection of vegetables, fabulous bread and pork pork pork and all the by-products.

Don't get me wrong, the family has already lived in Germany for 2 years but never ever got her head around quality local food.

The real problem is that for most of their last posting and for the first 6 months of this one her husband is away - last time to Iraq this time to Afghanistan. She as are most military wives brilliant (on the surface) of coping with this.

Brit/American food therefore no problem. All available on camp but REAL food, the sort she and I are interested in and how she keeps herself sane ??????
Old Jan 20th 2013, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Brit/American food therefore no problem. All available on camp but REAL food, the sort she and I are interested in and how she keeps herself sane ??????
Sane? Germany is not a bad country - as good or as bad as the US and the UK and any other Western country. It should be quite easy to keep herself sane.
Anyhow, it would be a lot easier if you would define 'real food'.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Don't get me wrong she and the rest of the family like Germany very much indeed. It is just the food that is a bit of a problem.

It also has to be understood that living on a military base with loads of other expat spouses, mostly wives, can be extremely claustrophobic, especially when the other spouse is deployed elswhere.

One of daughter's favourite "hobbies" is cooking and entertaining - like me her tastes are fairly ecclectic, French, American especially Southern American, Indian. She is, I think, even more interested in good food made with authentic and fresh ingredients, than she was on the first tour.

I am really looking for suggestions for sources of ingredients and would be really pleased if I could pass on some idea/addresses to get her going. Restaurants as well as supplies.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Annitaa5_h is an unknown quantity at this point

German food is not healthy at all. They best food is potato and sausages.. And this was my question to a German. what is your special food on special occasion and she answered: baked potato with herbs and some other staff and of course sausages..I have eaten in a German restaurant and didn't have anything special.. and most of the things are made mainly with butter. Even the fast food in germany is never healthy. currywurst or nuddle box or doner(many think that because it has so many vegetables is healthy) and some sandwiches(stuffed with a lot of butter) are the common things you can find if you don't have time to cook at home..

In UK I always find tasty and healthy staff to eat either fast food either in restaurants. Ok I admit that British breakfast with beacons and sausages is not the best solution. But you have much better choices to make in restaurants and or in coffee places where they sell many healthy food. and the salads are very nice too in UK. in Germany I never had a tasty salad. Either it is was a plain salad with vegetables, either with a fat sause that destroyed all the taste...

That was mine experience...
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"Abendbrot" the way it is still done in most North German towns. If you have not experienced this ask a German family to show you - forget about restaurants !

Last edited by scot47; Jan 23rd 2013 at 8:39 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Annitaa5_h is an unknown quantity at this point

The truth is that I didn't have much experience with a German family. But my everyday life demands a lot of times to eat outside. So I just can compare the difference from other countries from this point..
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Living on Currywurst, Kartoffelsalat and Doner !!!???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.