Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Brexit: What Happens? Any Facts?

Brexit: What Happens? Any Facts?

Old Feb 4th 2018, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Lew354 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Brexit: What Happens? Any Facts?

Hello,

I'm a Brit living in Germany for over 6 years and am naturally interested in the consequences of Brexit. Does anybody please have any facts? I've been doing searches on the internet, but all I could find was pages on feelings and concerns. All are short of facts, especially British newspapers.

My situation is this. My German is somewhat limited (ha ha..). I've been working for a US company that's multinational, and the language the company uses is English. Most of my colleagues are German, but they gladly speak English for the non-German speakers. (Ironically, I've watched many improve their English to fluency just through practice..)

I am not saying I've no done work in learning German. I learned a lot at one time, including past and future tenses, and those sub-clauses with the verb booted to the end etc etc. But this has become very rusty through lack of practice -- although I am OK in shops, pubs, railway stations and basic situations like that.

My question is this. Will I get kicked out? I really want to move to Berlin. Is it worth trying? By Brexit day in March 2019 I will have lived in Frankfurt 7.5 years, just short of the magic 8 I am learning about today.

And would I have to give up my British citizenship?

Last edited by Lew354; Feb 4th 2018 at 12:40 pm. Reason: Further question
Old Feb 4th 2018, 1:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Brexit: What Happens? Any Facts?

Originally Posted by Lew354
I'm a Brit living in Germany for over 6 years and am naturally interested in the consequences of Brexit. Does anybody please have any facts?
As yet, nothing has changed.

What happens after Brexit is still anyone's guess. It's not even completely clear yet when the regulations governing your rights will change (as they depend upon the translation period, which hasn't yet been negotiated).

My question is this. Will I get kicked out?
If you have a job, as is currently the case, you almost certainly won't get "kicked out".

I really want to move to Berlin. Is it worth trying?
Unless you provide some idea about why you want to move to Berlin, no one can answer that.

By Brexit day in March 2019 I will have lived in Frankfurt 7.5 years, just short of the magic 8 I am learning about today.

And would I have to give up my British citizenship?
Under the current rules, no. Under the rules governing non-EU citizens, which you will be pro-Brexit, in principle yes. Which rules will apply still isn't clear.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Watchpost! This is valuable.

To answer your query, I want to move to Berlin to live and work there. Obviously I would need to find a job there first. But it appears the answer to the question would be along the lines of the others: wait and see or move there and take a risk?

All the best.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 3:05 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

As Watchpost states it's highly unlikely that you will be required to leave Germany. Even in a 'no deal' scenario Germany isn't going to try and deport 100,000 British citizens if for no other reason than the practicalities involved. You may however be required to apply for a residence permit in the same way as other non-EU residents.

If you intend to stay and make Germany your home for the foreseeable future then becoming a German citizen is the only way to guarantee your rights. If you will not have accumulated eight years of residence by March 2019 then this may be a sticking point as Germany has fairly strict rules about dual nationality. Anyone wishing to naturalise as a German citizen is required to renounce their previous citizenship however EU and Swiss citizens are exempted from this requirement. Post-March 2019 this will not include British citizens. You can apply to be granted an exemption or British citizens may be granted some kind of special dispensation but it is not guaranteed at this point. A solution would be to undertake an integration course which, if passed, reduces the residence requirement to seven years allowing you to naturalise whilst you are still an EU citizen.

BAMF - Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge - Naturalisation in Germany

If you have a job to go to in Berlin then I can't see how it would make a difference to your current situation.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Thanks BritInParis. That's quality info. It puts me solidly in the picture thus far.

Maybe I can write to my MP to pressure the (British) government for an announcement. I mean, they've had since June 2016 and we're still in limbo. I think an announcement is long overdue. My MP is Jeremy Corbyn, who might take some delight in badgering and hassling the government.

Last edited by Lew354; Feb 4th 2018 at 4:28 pm. Reason: Clarifcation
Old Feb 4th 2018, 5:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat0105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe I can write to my MP to pressure the (British) government for an announcement. I mean, they've had since June 2016 and we're still in limbo. I think an announcement is long overdue. My MP is Jeremy Corbyn, who might take some delight in badgering and hassling the government.
Concerted pressure from British industry to provide some degree of certainty has had precious little effect, so I wouldn't bank on a letter from you making much of an impression.

In the meantime, work on getting your German up to scratch – if you want citizenship, you'll have to pass a language test.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

Yep, that's what I feared. It will mean a YOOOOODGE amount of work, on the one hand. And on the other, giving up my UK citizenship where I still have strong ties. Dilemma. Have to ache this one out over the next couple of months and take a decision.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 8:13 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, that's what I feared. It will mean a YOOOOODGE amount of work, on the one hand. And on the other, giving up my UK citizenship where I still have strong ties. Dilemma. Have to ache this one out over the next couple of months and take a decision.
No need to give up your British citizenship if you make the right preparations. It's not something I would contemplate even if there was no other way. I would simply stick with permanent residence.

Were both your parents and all your grandparents born in Great Britain?
Old Feb 4th 2018, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

No, none. I'm first generation British born.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 8:25 pm

No, none. I'm first generation British born.
Where were your parents and grandparents born?
Old Feb 4th 2018, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

All of them, Cyprus.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 9:01 pm

All of them, Cyprus.
Sounds like you just need to make an application for a Cypriot passport then and you won't need to worry about Brexit at all.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Ve-ry clever! But I'm not sure if I want a Cypriot one! Something to think about anyway. I appreciate your time on this.
Old Feb 4th 2018, 9:57 pm

Ve-ry clever! But I'm not sure if I want a Cypriot one! Something to think about anyway. I appreciate your time on this.
Up to you obviously but I can't see any reason why you wouldn't.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 5:56 am
Just Joined

Thought of a problem with this approach. Just realized when I went to bed last night.

I'd be conscripted for Cypriot military service. That, of course, would be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.