Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Any retirees in Bavarian Alps region?

Any retirees in Bavarian Alps region?

Old May 18th 2016, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any retirees in Bavarian Alps region?

Originally Posted by Richard8655
Hi All,
Looking to retire to Bad Reichenhall or similar area in the scenic Alps area of southern Germany near Salzburg and the Austrian border. Any expats enjoying life there? Any thoughts on housing types/prices, cost of living, German fluency requirement, and integration with local culture?
I'm wondering why you've chosen Bad Reichenhall and if you have any knowledge of the language?

Small towns in Oberbayern with an older population can often be difficult for communication, though of course children in German primary schools learn English at an early age. It would be sensible to have some knowledge of German, even if at first they don't understand you.

I've lived more to the west in Weilheim, situated between Munich and Garmisch-Partenkirchen, but joined a sports club to quickly know more people. Almost anywhere in Bayern would be marvellous to live, but it depends on what you want from life.

If you have instantstreetview.com choose your location and click from map to satellite, you can see more of the places which interest you.

I've also lived in Ladenburg, another small town alongside the River Neckar near Heidelberg, but that's a different region and another story!
Old May 19th 2016, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
I'm wondering why you've chosen Bad Reichenhall and if you have any knowledge of the language?

Small towns in Oberbayern with an older population can often be difficult for communication, though of course children in German primary schools learn English at an early age. It would be sensible to have some knowledge of German, even if at first they don't understand you.

I've lived more to the west in Weilheim, situated between Munich and Garmisch-Partenkirchen, but joined a sports club to quickly know more people. Almost anywhere in Bayern would be marvellous to live, but it depends on what you want from life.

If you have instantstreetview.com choose your location and click from map to satellite, you can see more of the places which interest you.

I've also lived in Ladenburg, another small town alongside the River Neckar near Heidelberg, but that's a different region and another story!
Thanks for the very informative reply. I've focused on Bad Reichenhall because that's where I had relatives and my parents took me often to visit at a very young age. I have fond memories of the beauty, atmosphere, and scenery of the area, including Berchtesgaden and Konigsee, and have always been attracted to mountainous regions. The proximity of Salzburg is also a plus.

It sounds like you've lived extensively in this region and have a good feel for the area. I think you're right about the need to know the language better in these traditional and somewhat conservative areas deep in Bavaria and Oberbayern. I also have the impression this is where a lot Germans retire and tends to have an older population, as you mentioned.

I'll check the website you provided and many thanks for that. I'm curious as a Brit expat what attracted you to live in Oberbayern? I have the impression not many Brits work or retire there, preferring warmer and sunnier coastal areas in Spain and Portugal. Also wondering how you found housing to be in terms of types, cost, and availability.
Old May 19th 2016, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Richard8655
Thanks for the very informative reply. I've focused on Bad Reichenhall because that's where I had relatives and my parents took me often to visit at a very young age. I have fond memories of the beauty, atmosphere, and scenery of the area, including Berchtesgaden and Konigsee, and have always been attracted to mountainous regions. The proximity of Salzburg is also a plus.

It sounds like you've lived extensively in this region and have a good feel for the area. I think you're right about the need to know the language better in these traditional and somewhat conservative areas deep in Bavaria and Oberbayern. I also have the impression this is where a lot Germans retire and tends to have an older population, as you mentioned.

I'll check the website you provided and many thanks for that. I'm curious as a Brit expat what attracted you to live in Oberbayern? I have the impression not many Brits work or retire there, preferring warmer and sunnier coastal areas in Spain and Portugal. Also wondering how you found housing to be in terms of types, cost, and availability.

Germany in general has an old population, so I don't think it's solely Oberbayern where you'll find many pensioners. Housing in general is of good quality, but again depends what you are looking for. A 2 bed apartment like this would cost €700 + €180 Nebenkosten (Water, Heating) every month. ( Sehr schöne 3-Zimmer Wohnung in zentraler Stadtlage

You also have to consider that many ask for SCHUFA Auskunft and in Germany there is always plenty of paperwork. Depending on area you will find plenty of people who speak English and try their best, but you will also find the opposite and people might be offended if you don't speak German (especially older people). Lake Constance might also be an option for you and there just seems to be more life there and they are more or less probably more used to foreigners.
Old May 20th 2016, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Richard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond reputeRichard8655 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Germany in general has an old population, so I don't think it's solely Oberbayern where you'll find many pensioners. Housing in general is of good quality, but again depends what you are looking for. A 2 bed apartment like this would cost €700 + €180 Nebenkosten (Water, Heating) every month. ( Sehr schöne 3-Zimmer Wohnung in zentraler Stadtlage

You also have to consider that many ask for SCHUFA Auskunft and in Germany there is always plenty of paperwork. Depending on area you will find plenty of people who speak English and try their best, but you will also find the opposite and people might be offended if you don't speak German (especially older people). Lake Constance might also be an option for you and there just seems to be more life there and they are more or less probably more used to foreigners.
Many thanks Moses. Also good suggestions and advice. I've never been to Lake Constance, but as a vibrant area in this region definitely worth a look and consideration.
Old May 20th 2016, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Moses2013 about Lake Constance, but bear in mind that the closer you are to the lake, property costs more.

If money isn't a problem, Lindau is a marvellous location. It is an island with a causeway, and is close to Austria and Switzerland.
Old May 27th 2016, 11:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I tend to agree with Chancellor Bismarck who considered Bavarians to be a "cross between Homo Sapiens and Austrians". You will be lucky to find anyone who speaks Hochdeutsch. Worse than Yorkshire !
Old May 27th 2016, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scot47
I tend to agree with Chancellor Bismarck who considered Bavarians to be a "cross between Homo Sapiens and Austrians". You will be lucky to find anyone who speaks Hochdeutsch. Worse than Yorkshire !
This reminds me of an Austrian cleaner working in Bayern. Frau Wagner came 5 days a week, and sounded like someone speaking German with a strong Welsh accent. A lovely lady.

I know people in Munich who speak Hochdeutsch, however they were imports from another part of the country. But then, Munich is a different kettle of fish from Bavarian villages.