Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Another disilussioned soul, help!

Another disilussioned soul, help!

Old Sep 22nd 2011, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

jmfm is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Another disilussioned soul, help!

hi, i am a british citizen but i am desperate to move to germany, i speak the language a little, but have no real work skills. although i have funds to support me for a few years, what papers would i need if based on my current uk passport, for myself and my daughter?
my father is german, could i look into the possibility of duel citizenship or full german citizenship? the catch being my father has lived in uk since 1970, i was born 1975, and although my father has a uk drivers licence, ni number etc he has never had a uk passport. what is his nationality???? does this mean unvoluntary loss of german citizenship for him? web search unfruitful.
any advice appreciated x

Last edited by jmfm; Sep 22nd 2011 at 2:34 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another disilussioned soul, help!

I am not sure but if your dad never gave up his German citizenship or accepted citizenship from another country he should still be German. Have you tried to talk with the German embassy about that?
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 8:51 am
Just Joined

jmfm is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply, no citizenship was offcially given up and non re-aquired for the uk, no passport at all... ie no paperwork, a german nightmare! i will do some cautious research with family and the German Embassy, the last thing i would want is for my father who is in ill health to have to deal with anything that may distress him.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 9:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Your father remains German as he has taken no other nationality. You will need to contact the embassy with regards to where you stand on the matter.You may well have entitlement having a German father.But remember you can reside in Germany on a UK passport.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Your father remains German as he has taken no other nationality. You will need to contact the embassy with regards to where you stand on the matter.You may well have entitlement having a German father.But remember you can reside in Germany on a UK passport.
As troubadour said, if it is too much hassle to get a German passport, you don't need it. With the UK passport you have the right to work and remain in Germany indefinitely. No need to upset your Dad. Asked the German embassy and take it from there
Where in Germany would like to move to? Any place in mind?
Old Sep 24th 2011, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

My advice would be to go over for a month and see how you go with obtaining a job and living costs in general.
It may or may not be so easy to establish yourself there. Is there a paricular area you have in mind? Perhaps relatives can assist?