Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Am I being taken for a ride..???

Am I being taken for a ride..???

Old Mar 7th 2009, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

josh8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I being taken for a ride..???

I have a property just outside frankfurt, I've renovated it and made it into a 2 family home, I feel have been ripped off big style by the locals and now dont feel like I want to live there, however I'm beholding to a family member as i dont speak german, I'm renting one of the apartments which is a 4 bedroom house with 1200sq mt of outside space including garden, barn, outbuildings and courtyard for approx 500 euros per month......I'm made to feel grateful about this, but I feel like I'm being taken for a ride.........my problem is, not speaking the language or living there I'm stuck.....I've suggested selling but I'm recommended a local agent who I dont trust...
can anybody suggest what I can do...!
Old Mar 10th 2009, 7:42 pm
Just Joined

Bobs Chocolate is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Am I being taken for a ride..???

500 euros per month?? No, that can't be right... OR yeah, you are being ripped off. Sorry, I have not lived in Germany for a long time so I don't really know what you can do but 500 EUR is just too low. I lived in Niederrad/Frankfurt in a 3 bedroom apartment on the 8th floor and we paid more...

I guess you could raise the rent. You have enough reasons (1200 sqmt, barn, outside buildings etc.)
Old Mar 15th 2009, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

notathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Your message is a bit vague. Why dont you like living there anymore? A two family home, do you mean a double house? If you are renting off a complete house (eg semi detached) then 500 Euros is too cheap. I read your message as having a double house of which you let off one of them and have divided the other into 2 flats?
Old Mar 15th 2009, 12:55 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notathome
Your message is a bit vague. Why dont you like living there anymore? A two family home, do you mean a double house? If you are renting off a complete house (eg semi detached) then 500 Euros is too cheap. I read your message as having a double house of which you let off one of them and have divided the other into 2 flats?
I don't live in Germany, but my daughter does. I'd love her to have such a large house/appartment for 500 € per month, if she happened to be near Frankfurt, that is..... She's paying almost 300 € for a room in a flat-share in Berlin.... So, it does seem that you aren't asking enough.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

slammer is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a thing called the "Mietspiegel" a comparison of rents in the area, you can get it from the Mieterverein or rentclub, that will tell you for sure if you are being taken for a ride or not.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Donny smith is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by josh8
I have a property just outside frankfurt, I've renovated it and made it into a 2 family home, I feel have been ripped off big style by the locals and now dont feel like I want to live there, however I'm beholding to a family member as i dont speak german, I'm renting one of the apartments which is a 4 bedroom house with 1200sq mt of outside space including garden, barn, outbuildings and courtyard for approx 500 euros per month......I'm made to feel grateful about this, but I feel like I'm being taken for a ride.........my problem is, not speaking the language or living there I'm stuck.....I've suggested selling but I'm recommended a local agent who I dont trust...
They are taking the piss trust me. I have lived here long enough to know that. Since 1985 EX Army and i speak German and i have in Germany kaufmann as a Qualification. Who cares?, just want to say that for so many QM you should get at least 700 COLD.. If not more!!
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 11:17 pm
Just Joined

Geordie1964 will become famous soon enough

The people renting that size of a property for so little must think it's Christmas every day. You really need to speak to someone in the property business who can set you right on all the relevant issues. Once your tenants and yourself have signed the tenancy agreement ( vetrag ) then i'm sure you can't hike up the cost as and when you feel like. Like i said, seek advice from a lawyer or a property agent who deals in tenancies.

BTW, if you have a similar property in the Bielefeld region i'll rent from you.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Kar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud ofKar98 has much to be proud of

I'm renting one of the apartments which is a 4 bedroom house with 1200sq mt of outside space including garden, barn, outbuildings and courtyard for approx 500 euros per month...

Wait, seriously?

In that area, 500 euros would rent one a freaking one room, kitchenette, shower apartment, cold. Utilities on top of that.
You're being taken for a ride big time.
Old May 31st 2009, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Mermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura aboutMermaid3011 has a spectacular aura about

Hi, well it depends where exactly this property is!
I am from Germany and was born close to Frankfurt. but the Rhein Main Area is quite large...

Can you tell us exactly where the place is and if its an apartment or an attached house?

You can PM me if you like.

I would definately speak to someone who can translate the Mietspiegel for you. But you should also expect the Mietspiegel only to be a measurement - dont see it as a bible. You can usually make more money on the market than the Mietspiegel is recommending! Especially in the Rhein Main Area.

Good luck!
Old Jan 9th 2010, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

MrNosey is an unknown quantity at this point

Please clarify the situation because you have rambled and what is being rented out is not at all clear.
You talk about a 2-Familienhaus then about an apartment then a 4-bed house with outside space and barns.... what is it that you are renting out???
How many rooms, with what floor area, in what kind of building, does it have a balcony, garden-use, etc...?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Vladeastasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Why did you move to germany in the first place buddy?
Old Feb 13th 2010, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

jebadad is an unknown quantity at this point

You might find it useful to join the local home owners association (Hausbesitzerverein). They might be able to give you some advice.