British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Frequently Asked Shipping & Removals Questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/frequently-asked-shipping-removals-questions-194/)
-   -   Get your removal questions answered here (https://britishexpats.com/forum/frequently-asked-shipping-removals-questions-194/get-your-removal-questions-answered-here-782006/)

Sue Dec 31st 2012 5:43 pm

Get your removal questions answered here

Bournes Removals have partnered with BE to answer questions about international removals, as well as share tips and advice.

kirstyp has been a member on BE for over 5 years and will be happy to advise you. So post your questions in this forum.

kirstyp Jan 2nd 2013 7:55 am

Re: Get your removal questions answered here

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 10457301)
Bournes Removals have partnered with BE to answer questions about international removals, as well as share tips and advice.

kirstyp has been a member on BE for over 5 years and will be happy to advise you. So post your questions in this forum.

Thanks Sue and Happy New Year everyone! Looking forward to being of assistance so let us know if you've got any questions!

laurawebber Nov 26th 2014 3:46 pm

Hi
We are hoping to move from Watford to Aliso Viejo, California in February next year. We do not need to move our furtiture, but we will need to move our personal effects and clothes etc. Can you tell me how big the boxed are with the pole that you hang clothes on, and how much you can usually fit into them? Also, is there a weight limit? We are trying to work out whether we would be better off just putting all of our clothes into boxes or whether we should use the specific clothes boxes. Thanks

kirstyp Nov 26th 2014 4:12 pm

Hi Laura, thanks for getting in touch. There is a box guide in our resources library that should help with this.... however, we don't typically use wardrobe cartons on international moves because a ship moves quite considerably when at sea in 7 different directions and the hangars are prone to falling off the rail and clothes ending up crumpled in the box, so we would typically fold them and use one of the large or lay flat cartons to pack them. Hope that helps?

ukthesis Mar 18th 2015 12:53 pm

I hope to move in the autumn to the Republic of Moldova from the UK. What's your advice on removals of my items from my UK home? I want to rent it out later this year. Any useful tips?

Pickfords gave me a quote of £2,900 for the removal to Moldova of the rather large books collection in my house here. Are there, for example, online price comparison sites I can go to in order to find out what other removal companies will charge? Or do I have to go through them one at a time?

kirstyp Mar 19th 2015 10:43 am

Originally Posted by ukthesis (Post 11595464)
I hope to move in the autumn to the Republic of Moldova from the UK. What's your advice on removals of my items from my UK home? I want to rent it out later this year. Any useful tips?

Pickfords gave me a quote of £2,900 for the removal to Moldova of the rather large books collection in my house here. Are there, for example, online price comparison sites I can go to in order to find out what other removal companies will charge? Or do I have to go through them one at a time?

Hi,

There are no comparison sites for international removals at this time, mostly because it's not a simple process that can really be compared on price alone. Each company might provide different options for you, different services and differing levels of quality, so the algorithm to run such a site would have to be very complex to allow you to make a true apples with apples comparison! Check out this e-book though which should help with some tips on finding and selecting your short list and how to compare your quotes which should make the process of doing this manually a whole lot easier for you.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/overs...ompany-851592/

In terms of other tips you're already doing well by starting thinking about it early! Start to think about what you might want to take, what you might like to sell or get rid of or any items that you might like to put into long term storage. This will help you get a more accurate quote when you see the removal companies as shipping costs are driven in some part by volume of goods. Here's some tips on making the most of your budget...3 tips for stretching your removals budget

This useful checklist in preparing for your international move might also help you get organised ~ http://britishexpats.com/forum/overs...cklist-820121/

Hope it helps?

sarahincos Jun 22nd 2015 4:17 pm

Hi there,

I'm running into an issue with international moving companies not wanting to give me quotes because I only need one item shipped (a flat screen 51 inch TV). With it boxed and crated properly, I can imagine it would be at least 1.5 to 2 meters long. What would your opinion be on our best (and cheapest) option to ship an object that large. We are looking to move from Manchester, UK to South Carolina, USA in October 2015.

Thank you,
Sarah

kirstyp Jun 22nd 2015 4:37 pm

Hi Sarah,

That's possibly because most of us have a minimum volume for groupage and so are unlikely to be cost effective for you (happy to provide you a guide price if you want to PM me?). The cheapest option for you would likely be an excess baggage type company, some of which send by sea and some by air.

Hope that helps!

cormaclynch Sep 2nd 2015 10:02 am

Hi there,

I am just wondering if you could give me an indication, in your opinion, about customs clearance times. We shipped 7m3 via groupage from Australia. Its now in the UK en route to Ireland. Its in clearance and the import agent wont give us a rough idea of when our belongings will clear customs.

All items are used household stuff like a bed, bike, cot, tv, chair, golf clubs, pram etc. No alcohol was shipped.

If you could give us an indication in your experience id be much obliged.

Thanks,

Cormac

kirstyp Sep 2nd 2015 10:21 am

hi Cormac,

is the shipment clearing customs in the UK and then being transported to Ireland or is the final port in Ireland but vessel just calling at a port in the UK?

Kirsty

cormaclynch Sep 2nd 2015 11:19 am

Kirsty,

I believe that the final port is the UK, Felixstowe, and then it is clearing customs there.

Cormac

kirstyp Sep 2nd 2015 12:20 pm

Ok, The turnaround times do vary from one shipment to another, which is why they are probably reluctant to give you a timescale - whilst there may be 'typical' timescales they'd hope for, exceptions can happen and this really is out of their hands so they will likely want to have more definitive information before setting your expectations.

However, in our experience, the customs clearance in the UK takes place soon after the container’s arrival and usually takes a minimum of 48 hours. Occasionally, the container is selected for further examination at the port once it has arrived and therefore this could cause a further delay of minimum 48 hours.

You will only find out if your container is picked once the container has arrived at the port.

Hope that helps?

cormaclynch Sep 7th 2015 10:13 am

Thanks for that.

I have been told it is still in customs since last sunday, so over 8 days now.

I don't believe them to be honest. I think they are telling me it is still in customs while they sort out delivery to me. All a bit frustrating as I have no proof that it passed through customs.

mrsbright Mar 2nd 2016 12:08 pm

You said in another thread -

"The key areas to consider are:
the cost of buying new vs. the cost of shipping"

How do we know the cost of shipping if there are not prices online? I also do not have my exact amount of items I am taking since our move is still far away. I do know that I am taking a 55" tv, a 40" tv, a double bed frame, a wardrobe with drawers, a dressing table & chair and a chest of drawers. Along with a few boxes of clothes and personal items. No one would give quotes.

kirstyp Mar 2nd 2016 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by mrsbright (Post 11884335)
You said in another thread -

"The key areas to consider are:
the cost of buying new vs. the cost of shipping"

How do we know the cost of shipping if there are not prices online? I also do not have my exact amount of items I am taking since our move is still far away. I do know that I am taking a 55" tv, a 40" tv, a double bed frame, a wardrobe with drawers, a dressing table & chair and a chest of drawers. Along with a few boxes of clothes and personal items. No one would give quotes.

hi Mrs Bright, thanks for getting in touch.

It's really hard to get online prices for shipping as there are so many variables that go into the cost... http://britishexpats.com/forum/overs...erseas-872073/

That being said, if you call or send an email to prospective removal companies they should be willing to give you a ball park based on that list and a few other details they'll want to ask about your circumstances. Bear in mind they probably won't be able to give you a fixed quote if your move is a long way off but it should give you a good idea to help you assess. Happy to arrange for one of our team to get in touch if you want to private message me your details?

Hope that helps?

inkedneonurse Apr 15th 2016 12:35 am

Hi

I have a collection of 3 blunted movie prop swords. can I take these over to new Zealand with me?

Thanks

kirstyp Apr 15th 2016 10:44 am

Originally Posted by inkedneonurse (Post 11923396)
Hi

I have a collection of 3 blunted movie prop swords. can I take these over to new Zealand with me?

Thanks

hi,

Normally we would ask for a photo and blade size so that we can check directly with our partner in New Zealand so we can evaluate if customs are likely to consider them weapons. Usually providing its clear they are props and not weapons this isn't a problem but we advise on a case by case basis to avoid any nasty surprises on arrival!

Hope that helps?

TeamTolson38 Jun 8th 2016 12:04 pm

Hello
We are hoping to move from London UK to northern New Jersey with my husband's work. We want to get a rough guesstimate on how much it would be to ship a king size bed, bunk beds, cot, sofa, dining table, chairs, clothes, toys etc.. there are 5 of us (my kids are 2 months, 2 years and 5 years old) coming from a 4 bed house. Am I looking at 5K? less? a lot more? thanks!

Susan100 Aug 18th 2016 5:26 am

Hi kirstyp,

Please can you tell me if you do Removals and Shipping from Turkey to the UK.

Best wishes

Susan

kirstyp Aug 18th 2016 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Susan100 (Post 12029194)
Hi kirstyp,

Please can you tell me if you do Removals and Shipping from Turkey to the UK.

Best wishes

Susan

hi Susan,

Yes we do! If you give us a call on 01797228000 or email [email protected] one of our team will be happy to help you!

thanks,
Kirsty

Susan100 Aug 19th 2016 6:51 am

Originally Posted by kirstyp (Post 12029318)
hi Susan,

Yes we do! If you give us a call on 01797228000 or email [email protected] one of our team will be happy to help you!

thanks,
Kirsty

Thank you Kirsty, I have been in touch with your UK office .

willielad Nov 29th 2016 7:00 pm

Hi, Looking to ship some boxes of clothes from Seattle in the US to near Sheffield in the UK. UPS charges around $5 a lb, can i do better than that with any one else? Thanks

marcjay702 Sep 19th 2017 10:28 am

Can someone suggest a good price shipping company that i can use to send back some home furnishing and clothes. Ive been in the US for about 15 years and now returning back to London. I have a three bedroom house with things I would like to bring with me

Also would any of my new TV's work in the UK as I would like to bring them to.

Thank you.

willielad Sep 19th 2017 10:57 am

Hi Marcjay, can't help with a shipping company, i sent mainly clothes and used USPS in the end.Do make sure you apply for a TRANSFER OF RESIDENCE CODE though, otherwise you will get charged customs duties!

kirstyp Sep 19th 2017 11:25 am

Originally Posted by marcjay702 (Post 12341303)
Can someone suggest a good price shipping company that i can use to send back some home furnishing and clothes. Ive been in the US for about 15 years and now returning back to London. I have a three bedroom house with things I would like to bring with me

Also would any of my new TV's work in the UK as I would like to bring them to.

Thank you.

Hello, hopefully we can help..

Re: Shipping companies... A great place to start for shipping is to check out FIDI website for a list of FAIM certified international removal companies that serve your area to make sure whoever you're using is fully qualified, licensed and independently vetted for overseas moving. Coming back to the UK you can either choose a UK or US company so you have good options available. There are lots more tips about choosing reputable removals companies and your different options in the other threads in this vendor forum for International Removals Advice.

Re: TV's, if they work and to what extent varies by model and manufacturer, so best to check your manual or the advice on their website or helpline. A few things to look out for are voltage (can it be used with a converter), standards (UK uses PAL and US NTSC), whether you will get a signal from aerial/freeview/sky connections and the inputs on the TV e.g. Scart to see if they all match up with any other equipment you'll need to connect.

Hope that helps?

jen194 Sep 6th 2018 2:57 pm

Get your removal questions answered here

Hi. Any advice on companies which don't charge an arm and a leg for about 25 boxes of around 5kg each size 18x24x14 in from the UK to a storage unit in Barcelona?
At the moment it seems that TNT is the cheapest option but maybe I get a better quote as an additional load?
Many thanks.

kirstyp Sep 6th 2018 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by jen194 (Post 12559428)
Hi. Any advice on companies which don't charge an arm and a leg for about 25 boxes of around 5kg each size 18x24x14 in from the UK to a storage unit in Barcelona?
At the moment it seems that TNT is the cheapest option but maybe I get a better quote as an additional load?
Many thanks.

Hi Jen,

As this would be classed as a part load your best rates from moving companies will be from those who regularly service Spain. British Association of Removers member Matthew James removals offer a regular service between UK and Spain and have their own depot in Barcelona so may be worth getting a quote from?

Hope that helps!

GBBRIT Oct 19th 2018 1:32 am

I have inherited a single piece of furniture, a writing desk, which I want to have shipped from England to USA. Apparently it is to large for any sort of regular parcel shipment but too small for any shipping company to want to deal with. Any ideas?

kirstyp Oct 19th 2018 7:43 am

Originally Posted by GBBRIT (Post 12579916)
I have inherited a single piece of furniture, a writing desk, which I want to have shipped from England to USA. Apparently it is to large for any sort of regular parcel shipment but too small for any shipping company to want to deal with. Any ideas?

Hi GBBRIT, have you tried one of the excess baggage companies? They may be able to help with a single item shipment.

Alicat whall Dec 6th 2023 6:27 am

Hi
I am wanting to buy a USA bed and ship to UK, whats the best way to do this?

kirstyp Dec 6th 2023 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Alicat whall (Post 13229733)
Hi
I am wanting to buy a USA bed and ship to UK, whats the best way to do this?

Hi Alicat, have you tried one of the excess baggage companies or parecel couriers? They may be able to help with a single-item shipment more cost-effectively than a moving company which are better suited to household moves.