Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Young Family Moving to Valbonne (South Of France)

Young Family Moving to Valbonne (South Of France)

Old Aug 9th 2017, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Fun in the sun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Young Family Moving to Valbonne (South Of France)

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Rental income from properties in the UK is always taxable in the UK.

If the online work generates a significant proportion of your total household revenue, it may work out best simply to declare the rent as "unearned" income on your French tax return, and call the online work your main economic activity.
Interesting...

With regards to the online work.. I work with a UK registered company on a self employed basis. I'm guessing I would just set myself up as self employed in France and declare all earnings through the French system?
Old Aug 9th 2017, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fun in the sun
With regards to the online work.. I work with a UK registered company on a self employed basis. I'm guessing I would just set myself up as self employed in France and declare all earnings through the French system?
Yes - as long as you work "with" the company and not "for" the company. France is stricter about disguised employment that the UK and comes down on it like a ton of bricks. Although as long as you don't get paid a fixed amount every month (which obviously no genuinely self employed person ever does), it's unlikely anyone will ever check.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 12:37 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and Bonjour!

So, after much deliberation and being totally convinced we were going to move to Spain we fell in love with Valbonne and the south of France (it's hard not to).

I've read many threads on similar topics but thought i would create one that was relevant to our situation.

We are a family of 4 in our mid thirties with two children under 3. We're looking to move before the end of this year, however that depends on how long it will take us to rent our house out in the UK.

In terms of work, which is a question that always comes up when posting a thread like this... We have a business in the UK that produces us an income. The rest of our work is done over the world wide web. From my little understanding, if we live permanently in France we would be have to pay tax in France etc..? (I am in the process of discussing options with our accountant).

I'm not sure what Brexit would mean for us - but we're not willing to put our lives on hold while these joker politicians decipher their arses from their faces! Plus, i think Brexit will take a hell of a lot longer than they think.

We will rent for the first couple of years with a view to buy if all goes well. We are not fluent in French but will take lessons as a matter of urgency upon arrival.

In terms of education, we are reading mixed things, but like the Montessori approach as that is what my eldest is currently enrolled in. Sophia Antipolis has many great schools, hence why we chose that particular area.

My question is one of advice really.. What do we need to bear in mind / look out for, make sure we do, from your experience when you were in our shoes?

Thanks in advance for any responses
Hi, no one has picked up on your children's schooling. Why not enrol your eldest in the local Maternelle of the town where you'll settle? Despite what you may have heard about French Education, Maternelles are an excellent start for non-French children, who become bilingual (at their level) very quickly and make friends who live locally. You in turn would meet French parents, and integration would be easier. To be honest, unless you intend to live in an international bubble like Sophia Antipolis, your local French neighbours will view you better if you do as the Romans do, and send your children to the local school.
The younger one could go to the local "Halte-Garderie" from time to time for a few hours, to socialize with other babies/toddlers and give you a chance to do your own thing (hairdresser, dentist, for example..., not as day-long child-minders!)
Old Aug 9th 2017, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, no one has picked up on your children's schooling. Why not enrol your eldest in the local Maternelle of the town where you'll settle? Despite what you may have heard about French Education, Maternelles are an excellent start for non-French children, who become bilingual (at their level) very quickly and make friends who live locally. You in turn would meet French parents, and integration would be easier. To be honest, unless you intend to live in an international bubble like Sophia Antipolis, your local French neighbours will view you better if you do as the Romans do, and send your children to the local school.
The younger one could go to the local "Halte-Garderie" from time to time for a few hours, to socialize with other babies/toddlers and give you a chance to do your own thing (hairdresser, dentist, for example..., not as day-long child-minders!)
Thank you for the great advice. I think this would be the best and most logical route for us. We hope to find a place in Valbonne to rent for the first couple of years and will look to learn the language as quickly as possible to help with the integration process.
Old Aug 9th 2017, 5:14 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the great advice. I think this would be the best and most logical route for us. We hope to find a place in Valbonne to rent for the first couple of years and will look to learn the language as quickly as possible to help with the integration process.
To reiterate and strongly support dmu's post, the best possible way for (a) your kids and (b) yourselves is to put the kids into the local school.

We moved to Germany with 2 sons, 2 and 4 years old at the time and did it that way. They learned from their cohort and teachers, we learned from the other parents. Both of these toddlers are now in their 30's and with us in France for a while and they are both trilingual (admittedly not in the technical sense) both of them having picked up French en passant from University colleagues in Canada and from my wife who is half French.

It's the best gift you can think of for the kids..
Old Aug 9th 2017, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
It's the best gift you can think of for the kids..
Agreed and another reason why we wanted to bring up our children in another country other than UK