Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

YES ENGLISH PENSION BUT NOT FRENCH

YES ENGLISH PENSION BUT NOT FRENCH

Old Sep 25th 2011, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

4ABACUS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default YES ENGLISH PENSION BUT NOT FRENCH

Advice please ,I am 60 so qualify for my English pension but after working here for only 19 years I can't have french until 65 .Anyone else come across his problem .How did they resolve it?
Old Sep 25th 2011, 5:07 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: YES ENGLISH PENSION BUT NOT FRENCH

Originally Posted by 4ABACUS
Advice please ,I am 60 so qualify for my English pension but after working here for only 19 years I can't have french until 65 .Anyone else come across his problem .How did they resolve it?
Hi, Pensions are complicated here.
In order to be eligible for "standard" French Pension, you have to have contributed for xxx trimestres. According to:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrait...e_de_naissance

if you were born in 1951, you must have "done" 163 trimestres, i.e. your working years in the UK plus your years here, for a full Pension.
If you go along to your local CNAV (google for address) with your S.S. and NI numbers, the Agent there will be able to tell you straight away how many more trimestres you must work. At least this is what happened for me, his computer told him immediately how long I'd worked in the UK, and where, even my Saturday jobs when I was at school!
Hopefully some one in your situation who has done this will come along to advise, but I'd also contact Newcastle to find out what your UK Pension rights are, in the circumstances.
Hope this helps!
Old Sep 26th 2011, 7:25 am
Just Joined

4ABACUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, Pensions are complicated here.
In order to be eligible for "standard" French Pension, you have to have contributed for xxx trimestres. According to:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrait...e_de_naissance

if you were born in 1951, you must have "done" 163 trimestres, i.e. your working years in the UK plus your years here, for a full Pension.
If you go along to your local CNAV (google for address) with your S.S. and NI numbers, the Agent there will be able to tell you straight away how many more trimestres you must work. At least this is what happened for me, his computer told him immediately how long I'd worked in the UK, and where, even my Saturday jobs when I was at school!
Hopefully some one in your situation who has done this will come along to advise, but I'd also contact Newcastle to find out what your UK Pension rights are, in the circumstances.
Hope this helps!
Still confused after speaking to both French and English offices ,French said go ahead and claim english side "it was up to england " england say they will pay me their part BUT what happens at 65 ? As I have read that the income is made up to the highest in either country ?
Old Sep 26th 2011, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

I believe you can still retire at 60 here, the only snag being that you won't get your full pension. You can however buy up 12 trimestres, which might be an option if you're heavily taxed (they're tax deductible). If you do retire at 60, you'll no doubt lose a lot of money.
Précision: the age at which one can retire is in fact 62. At the age of 65 you get your full pension, as far as I can gather, even if you don't have the required 163 trimestres. The legal age goes up from 60 4 months each year, so at the moment it's 60 plus 4 months. The sort of job you're in might make a difference, but if you could just hang on in there until 65 then you should (?) get your full pension.

Last edited by Peabrain; Sep 26th 2011 at 4:41 pm.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

You can ask for a pension estimate either online or by phone from the uk
Try here http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Pensions...st/DG_10014008
You need 30 years of UK contributions to qualify for the full uk pension.
I am not sure if you will qualify for a pension in the UK but your contributions will certainly count along with contributions in France.
Just checked and you may qualify for a partial uk pension.
Good luck

Last edited by cyrian; Sep 26th 2011 at 6:15 pm.