Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

working as an electrician in southern france

working as an electrician in southern france

Old Jun 2nd 2014, 7:54 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working as an electrician in southern france

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
France gives nothing for one child, 129 € for two and a lot more for each child therafter
I seem to remember that if you have 3 kids, apart from the income you also can retire earlier on a full pension. (One of the wife's aunts had 3).
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 8:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

we had a crazy start where the work did dry up and we were in serious financial difficulty for over 2 years with almost no work and a house we could no longer afford..

eentually managed to sell the house at a loss, move further away from Toulouse and finally 3 years on we have finally got ourselves to a point where we both have full time well paid jobs and can relax a little.

Having lived in many different places over the years, Monday to Friday, unless you are very lucky, or retired, you go to work and work in France is very much like in the uk - then you collect kids frm school etc and do activities like in the uk.

However at the weekend we now live in a very quiet friendly village with our dogs, our chickens and plenty of space - we have a more outdoor life as the weather is better. Our kids grew up in a land with less alcohol issues (though more blatant cannabis use) and with clear, if somewhat strict schooling.

We like it here more than any where else we have lived and have no wish to leave, however our daughter will return to the uk for uni next year if she can (course that she wants to do not poss in France) and there is a 50:50 chance son will also return to the uk.

Life anywhere is what you make of it - France is still good to many but dont assume it is the land of milk and honey - without enough money it is a harder place to survive thn the uk....

Good luck and make of it what you will
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 8:52 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I seem to remember that if you have 3 kids, apart from the income you also can retire earlier on a full pension. (One of the wife's aunts had 3).
Not all that much, I can't remember how many, but I gained a few "trimestres" by dint of having 2 children. I believe it's only the mothers who benefit, though, not the fathers...
Concerning the OP's belief that there are more opportunities in France for young people, my two daughters, born in France, both work abroad, precisely due to the lack of work opportunities here....
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 9:03 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Not all that much, I can't remember how many, but I gained a few "trimestres" by dint of having 2 children. I believe it's only the mothers who benefit, though, not the fathers...
Concerning the OP's belief that there are more opportunities in France for young people, my two daughters, born in France, both work abroad, precisely due to the lack of work opportunities here....
Yes, that's my recollection too, just the mothers. But the mother in question was a civil servant so I think she may have got a better deal.

Ironically, she was the oldest of three sisters herself but is the only survivor of the three, now being close to 90, so it didn't make a lot of difference in the long run.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

3+ children in France does indeed open doors to much more generous family (& other) allowances.

Nothing much else to add; dmu & ET have comprehensively covered the usual caveats I would mention regarding being an AE .

I would add that it's a good idea to check the "frais fixes" for an entrepreneur & eligibility for healthcare; also do not underestimate the language barrier.

S