Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

working as an electrician in southern france

working as an electrician in southern france

Old May 19th 2014, 7:03 am
Just Joined

lee mccardle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default working as an electrician in southern france

hi just wondered if anyone could advise on how easy or hard it is to pick up work in the ariege aquitaine regions of france.

i have worked in the uk and australia for the past 22 years as an electrician so have quite an extensive amount of experience. i am aware the geulations are different in france but the regulations change everywhere as time goes by so its something im used too.

the language barrier would be a porblem but not impossible to overcome. just wondered about the availability of work.any advice would be appreciated.

regards lee.
Old May 19th 2014, 8:04 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

jvc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: working as an electrician in southern france

Well in the Rhone Alpes we have difficulty getting artisans, although on the whole it is frowned upon using UK artisans when there are reputable local ones. So far, all our work has been carried out by the french. It is just frustrating waiting for them to turn up!! If you can pick your region, you would find expats wanting your services for sure, but do feel the language is a big, big problem if you are taking up any work in France. It is a big problem even if you don't work, and it isn't just conversational french you would need, it would be on a different level if you are talking about your profession. It really isn't easy without the fluidity in the language. If you are wanting to take on work, then a reliable, quick service would win alot of people, as patience with artisans in France is the worst bit. Also, maybe being able to travel for work with expats too would be an advantage! Also, many artisans out here do not have a website. That pees me off a little, so again, that may draw in more work, as I prefer email as a point of contact, especially whilst I am learning the lingo. Initially when my french was really bad I would only rely on email for sure.
Old May 19th 2014, 8:06 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lee mccardle
hi just wondered if anyone could advise on how easy or hard it is to pick up work in the ariege aquitaine regions of france.

i have worked in the uk and australia for the past 22 years as an electrician so have quite an extensive amount of experience. i am aware the geulations are different in france but the regulations change everywhere as time goes by so its something im used too.

the language barrier would be a porblem but not impossible to overcome. just wondered about the availability of work.any advice would be appreciated.

regards lee.
Hi, I'm afraid that I'm giving the same answer as in your earlier thread. AFAIK you'd have to take an exam to show that you master French Standards, not just regulations, and the French language. Even if you found a lot of expat customers, you wouldn't be able to "sign off" for insurance purposes until you've passed this exam.
The unemployment situation has worsened since then, too, and French electricians, like all artisans, chase work where it's available. I'm sorry to say that your wife would also have difficulties finding a job, not only due to the language, but accounting methods are different in France, and priority for any jobs going would be given to English-speaking French candidates.
The economic situation in France is bleak, if not dire. If you were single, I'd say go for it, but with a family to provide for, it would be a hazardous venture and you'd have to bring enough savings to last a good year and have a Plan B in the UK to fall back on if necessary....
Sorry to be pessimistic still, but I'm being realistic and it's better to know in advance what to expect.
P.S. Just seen jvc's post - artisans are chasing work in the Hérault, no real delays here!

Last edited by dmu; May 19th 2014 at 8:08 am.
Old May 19th 2014, 8:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you've looked into what you need to do to work as an electrician in France - get yourself approved by the chambre de métiers on the basis of qualifications and/or experience and references (you may be required to take a short course), take out professional insurance as required by law, figure out which is the best business structure for you, register your business, pay cotisations etc.

As jvc says the work may be there, but there are several hurdles to be gotten over before you get to that stage. I don't know what it's like in Australia, but becoming a self-employed artisan in France, and staying in business once you've achieved it, is not nearly as easy it is in the UK. Which may explain the shortage of them

EDIT - sorry dmu - posts crossed.

Last edited by EuroTrash; May 19th 2014 at 8:15 am.
Old May 19th 2014, 8:59 am
Just Joined

i am aware i would have to take an exam to become registered after i have provided the local chambre de metiers with my translated uk qualifications.i would be looking into registering as an AE and know that i would need the relevant insurances to be able to sighn work off.

my wife wouldnt be working as the differences between the english and french accountancy standards are just too great.

we do have other sources of income that would provide us with enough to live on in france. from what i can gather from various sources of equiry this would ammount to about 12k euros per year assuming we have no mortgage payments. any feedback on this ammount will be appreciated.

i am hoping that i will only need to find a small amount of work as i realize how difficult this may prove to be.we do have a plan b and c to fall back on if things dont work out in this day and age it would be foolish not to have.

regards lee
Old May 19th 2014, 9:08 am
jvc
BE Enthusiast

We have a second line of work in the pipeline, but my husband would never give his job up over here to commit to it 100% as we know a) how expensive it is to live over here, b) how dodgy businesses can be in France, c) our language skills are just on average, and just would not survive without the language at least.
There seems to be this bubble that people still have about France. Long gone are those days. Yes, the work may be there, but like it has been said bringing over a family can mean you give up alot and lose it all for the risk.
Old May 19th 2014, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

i am hoping that i will only need to find a small amount of work as i realize how difficult this may prove to be.
The trouble is that AFAIK the insurance will cost the same no matter how much work you do or don't do. And if you are on AE you cannot deduct expenses from profits.
Even on AE, it is entirely possible to make a loss if your overheads are disproportionately high.
However, another question is, do your 'other sources of income' entitle you to pay cotisations and obtain social security cover? Even if your business doesn't actually make any profit as such, it might still be worth doing just to get you into the system.
12000€ for a couple isn't over-generous, even without a mortgage. Property taxes, no income tax for sure but potential CSG on income from outside of France depending on the source, property maintenance (well you won't have sparkies' bills at least!), heating, electricity, water, internet, mutuelle, car purchase / insurance / maintenance / fuel, household expenses, food, clothes, doesn't leave a lot of disposable income for enjoying life.
If you have really strong reasons for wanting to live in France then you'll make it work. But if you're coming here on a bit of a whim imagining the good life, think hard before you do it.
Old May 19th 2014, 10:00 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
12000€ for a couple isn't over-generous, even without a mortgage. Property taxes, no income tax for sure but potential CSG on income from outside of France depending on the source, property maintenance (well you won't have sparkies' bills at least!), heating, electricity, water, internet, mutuelle, car purchase / insurance / maintenance / fuel, household expenses, food, clothes, doesn't leave a lot of disposable income for enjoying life.
According to the OP's earlier thread, they have two young children of Maternelle/Primaire age, and, although a couple might survive on an income of 1000€ per month, this sum would never cover all the additional expenses - food, clothes, treats, school insurance and outings, etc... - that two children would create.
Old May 19th 2014, 10:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dmu
According to the OP's earlier thread, they have two young children of Maternelle/Primaire age, and, although a couple might survive on an income of 1000€ per month, this sum would never cover all the additional expenses - food, clothes, treats, school insurance and outings, etc... - that two children would create.
Dunno, with 2 they'd get child allowance - they might be better off
Old May 19th 2014, 11:49 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Dunno, with 2 they'd get child allowance - they might be better off
The princely sum of 129,35 € per month for two children....
Old May 19th 2014, 12:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dmu
The princely sum of 129,35 € per month for two children....
Don't knock it dmu - on a budget of on 12000€ pa, that's more than 10 per cent!
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

sorry havent been on for a while the maddness of trying to wrap up the last 8 years of our lives in australia is taking longer than expected.

thanks for all the feedback comments they are really appreciated. as an AE im not expecting my overheads as an electrician to be high and am expecting to maybe run at a loss initially starting out.

interesting about the 129 euros/ month for the two children. had heard from a freind who lives in farnce with three children that it was a much greater figure but im not planning on coming over to make our life in france with what we can claim in mind. although it would be reassuring to know that we may get something back for all the constiations that i will have to pay out.

our other sources of income is derived from rental income and not sure how this would paly into the french system to declare it this may be something i should look into a little more.even though the income isnt much like you say eurotarsh it might be worth it just to get into the system.

me and the mrs have been thinking about this move of ra long while and its not just on a whim to come to farnce and possibly make a life we ahve just realized that the uk is no longer a place where we would like to bring up our children and want a better life for them in a country where there is more opportunities.

we are not giving up a lot by heading over to france to make a life as we have lived away from the uk for the last 8 years. we know thing s will be tough for us but am hoping with a bit of luck and a lot of hard work we will come to love life out there as many thousands of expats do already.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

France gives nothing for one child, 129 € for two and a lot more for each child therafter
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the uk is no longer a place where we would like to bring up our children and want a better life for them in a country where there is more opportunities...
Hmm. Many would disagree about France holding out more opportunities for youngsters than the UK. Ever asked yourself why so many young French go to the UK to work? I love France - but I couldn't honestly say it's the land of opportunity.
... we will come to love life out there as many thousands of expats do already.
And probably about as many are trying desperately to sell up and get back to blighty. Very generally speaking, the expats that love life in France most are the retirees who don't have to worry about making a living.

Do make sure you haven't got a touch of the rose-tints before you commit to buying a house, cos it can take literally years to sell - with all those other expats trying hard to sell as well
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 7:45 pm
jvc
BE Enthusiast

I totally agree with ET. There is no way we would be able to stay here if my husband hadn't been offered a transfer here. It is so hard to think of just the lifestyle....the lovely scenery, gastronomy, sunshine etc. Far from it. Yes the quality of life for us is so much more relaxed, but if money and a lack of work suddenly became an issue it would be so much more different.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.