Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Wierd email address?

Wierd email address?

Old Feb 1st 2017, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wierd email address?

I'm a frequent user of LeBonCoin, buying more often than selling. I'm always extremely vigilant, and so far never encountered a problem.
As a result of a relatively high-cost 'luxury' item I recently put up for sale on behalf of my wife, I've just had a reply (via LeBoncoin) from a prospective buyer. Simply asking if the item is still available - which is a perfectly normal question. The person also added his/her contact as follows which I don't particularly like or trust the look of, as I have never seen an e-mail address anything like this (for security purposes I've hidden 4 of the 6 digits).
<delp.hinettealonasa.mousar7****2+[email protected]>
Intuition tells me this is could be some type of phishing scam or similar, and so far I've not replied.
Anyone seen anything similar, or thoughts on this?
Old Feb 1st 2017, 11:38 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wierd email address?

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
I'm a frequent user of LeBonCoin, buying more often than selling. I'm always extremely vigilant, and so far never encountered a problem.
As a result of a relatively high-cost 'luxury' item I recently put up for sale on behalf of my wife, I've just had a reply (via LeBoncoin) from a prospective buyer. Simply asking if the item is still available - which is a perfectly normal question. The person also added his/her contact as follows which I don't particularly like or trust the look of, as I have never seen an e-mail address anything like this (for security purposes I've hidden 4 of the 6 digits).
<delp.hinettealonasa.mousar7****2+[email protected]>
Intuition tells me this is could be some type of phishing scam or similar, and so far I've not replied.
Anyone seen anything similar, or thoughts on this?
Not many French ladies are called "Delphinette" and even fewer have lengthy addresses like that. I certainly would be wary.
I wouldn't reply directly, but would transfer the mail to LBC (if there's a customer service?) with a request for info.
This very morning I received a notification from "Orange", inviting me to click on a link in order to get reimbursed for excess payment. A quick glance at the sender's address confirmed that it wasn't Orange at all, so I transferred it to "[email protected]" and put it in the "indésirables".
They are a pita (term learnt the other day from another thread!), but there's just a chance that your Delphinette is a bona fide buyer. I would think that only LBC can confirm this.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks DMU for your immediate thoughts.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

TP,
Have you tried a Google search? they work well for showing tel. scammers but not sure about emails.

I agree with DMU, not a normal email for most, far too long.
IMOP bin it.

Last edited by audio; Feb 1st 2017 at 3:29 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 4:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it's a racket, don't touch it with a barge pole.

They're going to send you a bank draft for an excessive amount (over the selling price), then tell you to wire the excess back. In truth they don't care whether you even ship the item you're selling, because the scam is to collect "real money" from the wire you send them, which you will have sent before discovering (it may be a couple of weeks or more before your bank knows) that the bank draft they sent you is forged and utterly worthless.

As you have no idea what sort of people are behind it, I would just ignore it entirely. You could report it to LBC, but there probably isn't much they can do, and LBC vendors are probably being contacted thousands of times a day with this scam, so if the scammers collect 1% of the time they do quite well for themselves.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 1st 2017 at 4:31 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by audio
TP,
Have you tried a Google search? they work well for showing tel. scammers but not sure about emails.

I agree with DMU, not a normal email for most, far too long.
IMOP bin it.
Thanks. Yes I've done multiple Google searches with the name, part of the name etc but found nothing.
Interestingly enough I've been reading that in Jan this year there was yet another major scam warning. Of gmail users falling prey to an elaborate scam, receiving an email cleverly disguised from someone they knew with an apparent innocent looking pdf attachment, which when opened went to work to hack the owners personal details. (I'm not a gmail user, as their conditions didn't appeal to me).
I've received nothing, let alone any email with an attachment, and it could be someone with a legitimate very long email address, but the 6 digits it contained and also a + sign is very odd indeed - enough in fact to prevent me from answering.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yeah, it's a racket, don't touch it with a barge pole.

They're going to send you a bank draft for an excessive amount (over the selling price), then tell you to wire the excess back. In truth they don't care whether you even ship the item you're selling, because the scam is to collect "real money" from the wire you send them, which you will have sent before discovering (it may be a couple of weeks or more before your bank knows) that the bank draft they sent you is forged and utterly worthless.

As you have no idea what sort of people are behind it, I would just ignore it entirely. You could report it to LBC, but there probably isn't much they can do, and LBC vendors are probably being contacted thousands of times a day with this scam, so if the scammers collect 1% of the time they do quite well for themselves.
Thanks Pulaski. The scam you mention is one I'm familiar with, and frankly find it incredible that anyone could be taken in by it, but by all accounts many are.
I'll keep my barge-pole untouched.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Thanks. Yes I've done multiple Google searches with the name, part of the name etc but found nothing.
Interestingly enough I've been reading that in Jan this year there was yet another major scam warning. Of gmail users falling prey to an elaborate scam, receiving an email cleverly disguised from someone they knew with an apparent innocent looking pdf attachment, which when opened went to work to hack the owners personal details. (I'm not a gmail user, as their conditions didn't appeal to me).
I've received nothing, let alone any email with an attachment, and it could be someone with a legitimate very long email address, but the 6 digits it contained and also a + sign is very odd indeed - enough in fact to prevent me from answering.
I have had exactly that but not gmail. Fortunately I noticed the scam by the wording that did not match the sender's style.
Bring back flogging for these guys.