Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

why did you chose your particular part of France to settle down.

why did you chose your particular part of France to settle down.

Old Jan 29th 2012, 8:49 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why did you chose your particular part of France to settle down.

Originally Posted by Glad to be home.
Yes i get what you are saying , they do pronounce the i as eeee. ie lundi mardi mercredi etc but they dont pronounce the s for paris or the n for pain or the n for maison etc etc do they .
Oh, for heavens sake. It's a different language with different rules for pronunciation. Get used to it.

BTW, do you pronounce the g in "enough already!"?
Old Jan 29th 2012, 9:31 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glad to be home.
Yes i get what you are saying , they do pronounce the i as eeee. ie lundi mardi mercredi etc but they dont pronounce the s for paris or the n for pain or the n for maison etc etc do they .
Hi,
It isn't only in French that "i" is pronounced "eee".
There are plenty of words where the last "s" is pronounced, e.g. "iris", "anis", "as", "os", "us" to name but a few. You simply learn...
If the "n" were pronounced in "pain", then it would be written "panne". And why pronounce it anyway, since no French person does (except in the south where a hard "g" is even added).
If you look at English pronunciation from "their" point of view, a French person accepts that "I" isn't pronounced "eee", and what about the ten ways of pronouncing "ough" in English? They may justifiably grumble, but if they need to know, they just learn them...
Old Jan 29th 2012, 11:27 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi,
It isn't only in French that "i" is pronounced "eee".
There are plenty of words where the last "s" is pronounced, e.g. "iris", "anis", "as", "os", "us" to name but a few. You simply learn...
If the "n" were pronounced in "pain", then it would be written "panne". And why pronounce it anyway, since no French person does (except in the south where a hard "g" is even added).
If you look at English pronunciation from "their" point of view, a French person accepts that "I" isn't pronounced "eee", and what about the ten ways of pronouncing "ough" in English? They may justifiably grumble, but if they need to know, they just learn them...
Un paing? Whey y'bugga, it's woarse than Geordie doon theyore.
Old Jan 30th 2012, 6:48 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Un paing? Whey y'bugga, it's woarse than Geordie doon theyore.
yes, and "bieng", "demaing", ... but I don't imitate that pronunciation, I'd feel as though I were poking fun at them!
Old Jan 30th 2012, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

I was completely scuppered by the Toulousain accent on my arrival in France; I've now got to grips with it only to move to the Gers.... I understand about one word in ten spoken by my plumber and I consider myself to have a reasonable level in french generally
Old Jan 30th 2012, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
I was completely scuppered by the Toulousain accent on my arrival in France; I've now got to grips with it only to move to the Gers.... I understand about one word in ten spoken by my plumber and I consider myself to have a reasonable level in french generally
You may find you have to brush up on your Occitan!
http://www.omniglot.com/books/language/occitan.htm

These may help too:-
http://www.freelang.net/online/occitan.php

http://lengadoc.chez.com/lexic_medieval.htm

Rather you than me though.
Good luck!

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Jan 30th 2012 at 6:00 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the links; our son had a taster term of Occitan last term at school, although we are hoping he will be allowed to study Spanish eventually! It seemed like a mix of Spanish and Latin...wierd!
Old Jan 31st 2012, 6:12 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They do Occitan lessons in our nearest Collège/Lycée. My daughers preferred the Latin option but friends with Occitan-speaking grandparents chose Occitan.
Old Mar 3rd 2012, 6:41 am
Just Joined

GJHem is an unknown quantity at this point

Back to the original thread.......

We had visited various areas of FRance and all had their own attractions from north to south and west to east. Friends of ours bought in the Haute Vienne just outside Oradour-Sur-Vayres. Many visits later, we knew it was inevitable we would do the same. Why? The scenery, people, way of life, who knows? Mind you, that could be said for most, if not all, areas of France. In the end, and maybe because of familiarity and friends (the circle has widened somewhat) this too became our area of choice. We've bought just outside Saint-Mathieu and its still reasonably close enough for friends and family to fly out to via Limoges.

Still working in the UK, 2 years to go before retirement. By then the house will look like what we want it to look like and then we can concentrate on the garden and that area that the estate agents described as "being left to go back to nature" i.e. a bit of a wilderness.

Looking forward to going over in June and sitting in a local bar with locals and Expats alike watching France Vs England in the Euros and taking in Vide Greniers - so much better than UK boot fairs. French tat for sale as opposed to UK tat but usually in better surroundings.
Old Mar 11th 2012, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

kazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nice

We originally planned on buying in the Charente, but ended up in the South of Deux Sevres - the house was right for us and the location was what we were looking for even if it was not quite in the department that we planned!
We are less than an hour from the coast, have 2 airports and the several TGV stations within an hour of our property which makes it accessible from the UK for family and friends (not necessarily what everyone wants, but it was important to us). We also wanted reasonable weather, which you certainly get here; the winters are milder than the UK and the summers hot enough for us!
We are still working in the UK and come to our French home every school holiday. Our neighbours - all French - are fantastic, they have even visited us in the UK (the first ever trip abroad for the farmer and his wife!) and we have few Ex pat friends near by. We haven't actively sought other English in the area but we can see this being a greater need once we actually live here. We can't wait to be out here permanently.... soon....
Old Mar 19th 2012, 11:52 am
Banned

French-Class is an unknown quantity at this point

My new partner lived in Brittany so how could I not move here.
The climate is just right, not too hot in the summer and the winters are not too cold.
Great links to the UK and a great base to tour the rest of France.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 5:42 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by French-Class
My new partner lived in Brittany so how could I not move here.
The climate is just right, not too hot in the summer and the winters are not too cold.
Great links to the UK and a great base to tour the rest of France.
Welcome to the Forum.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 4:33 am
Forum Regular

Vanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really niceVanya is just really nice

Originally Posted by G-J-B
Have lived in Paris for just over 3 years, because that's where my girlfriend was from, but am moving to Charente Limousine next month, as we have two babies, and want more space to live in and for them to run around in. Although in the middle of nowhere, there is a major town and city not that far away. We chose the place purely by chance as for a good couple of years, we'd planned on Auvergne.
I'm sure you will be very happy in the Limousin: that's where I live when I am not working in Russia. It's very rural and property prices are cheap. Also some very goos bargains around because a lot of Brits have done expensive renovations and then found they want to move back. The rural parts are VERY rural and the towns quiet and provincial, with exceptions.

It has the advantage (at least as far a Bellac) that one can drive comfortably to the ports in a day.

Vanya