Reload this Page >

Where to live near Orly...

Where to live near Orly...

Old Mar 19th 2012, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Picook is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live near Orly...

Hello,

We have just found out that my husband is being transferred to Orly airport in 6 weeks time. We had expected CDG and we're looking at renting around Senlis so this is a bit of a shock.

We have a 1 year old and are hoping to rent a house somewhere fairly green and open rather than an apartment in the suburbs.

We need to be within an hour of Orly, any suggestions? Have been looking online at areas west of Melun on the A6 e.g. Dammarie les Lys and Ballancourt. Planning to visit for a recky next week. Any advice on areas gratefully received...

Would it be crazy to still rent near senlis and commute? Google maps says an hour with traffic and he won't be commuting in rush hour but I imagine the eastern ring roads get pretty busy.

Also what else do we need to prioritise... With a 1 year old and rounding off my work here and such short notice it's very hectic. Have everything to think about, cars, healthcare, removal logistics, etc

Have read a few car threads on here but it's very confusing... S/h cars v expensive in France, we were looking at buying a lhd drive one here in the uk and taking it over along with my old focus for now then seeing how the land lies, but seems like we're walking into a minefield.

I'll leave it there for now, all advice gratefully received, thank you
Old Mar 19th 2012, 1:08 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live near Orly...

Originally Posted by Picook
Hello,

We have just found out that my husband is being transferred to Orly airport in 6 weeks time. We had expected CDG and we're looking at renting around Senlis so this is a bit of a shock.

We have a 1 year old and are hoping to rent a house somewhere fairly green and open rather than an apartment in the suburbs.

We need to be within an hour of Orly, any suggestions? Have been looking online at areas west of Melun on the A6 e.g. Dammarie les Lys and Ballancourt. Planning to visit for a recky next week. Any advice on areas gratefully received...

Would it be crazy to still rent near senlis and commute? Google maps says an hour with traffic and he won't be commuting in rush hour but I imagine the eastern ring roads get pretty busy.

Also what else do we need to prioritise... With a 1 year old and rounding off my work here and such short notice it's very hectic. Have everything to think about, cars, healthcare, removal logistics, etc

Have read a few car threads on here but it's very confusing... S/h cars v expensive in France, we were looking at buying a lhd drive one here in the uk and taking it over along with my old focus for now then seeing how the land lies, but seems like we're walking into a minefield.

I'll leave it there for now, all advice gratefully received, thank you
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!
I should forget about Senlis, theory and reality don't correspond!
From what family-in-law tells me, Sceaux in particular, Fontenay-aux-Roses, Bourg-la-Reine, Antony are all pleasant enough southern suburbs, and on the RER lines to Orly. If you want somewhere "greener", then consider somewhere further southwest, on the Saint-Remy-lès-Chevreuse RER line. Get yourselves a map of the Paris region and a map of the RER network to have an idea. As you can guess, I'm "public transport" rather than "car"....
I'm afraid I can't help with any of the other questions, except that when your 1 year old is 2, he/she may be accepted in your local Ecole Maternelle. The Mairie of the Commune where you live will give you info, likewise on possibilities of Crêches, Halte-garderies, etc... if you need child-care. If you're not working, this is less urgent....
Once again, welcome to the forum and well done to your OH!
Old Mar 19th 2012, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

Picook is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Dmu, that's great.

I'm afraid though it will be a car based commute, public transport is not an option as he will regularly be on 'stand-by' ready to jump in the car at short notice. So if anything we are avoiding public transport networks to keep rental costs down.
Old Mar 19th 2012, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Picook
Thank you Dmu, that's great.

I'm afraid though it will be a car based commute, public transport is not an option as he will regularly be on 'stand-by' ready to jump in the car at short notice. So if anything we are avoiding public transport networks to keep rental costs down.
Years ago I was in the very same situation as your husband. Except I was re-locating from Toulouse to Orly with the entry into service of a new aircraft type.
Although aircraft departures were planned from Roissy-CDG on a daily basis, I was requested to be positioned close to Orly where (at that time) maintenance was scheduled.
I quizzed this with many A/F personnel, wondering whether everything would be transferred to CDG in the short term. I was told it may happen but they alleged nobody knew for sure.
In addition to normal daily attendance, I was on-call 24/7, so had to commute using my own vehicle at any moments notice - sounds like your husband may have to do the same.
With that we found a nice appartment at Ris-Orangis south of Orly, which was a reasonably easy drive straight up/down the N7.
Nine months after being comfortably settled, the bad news was announced, I had to re-locate to Roissy/CDG. *Damn*!!
Until we could find alternative accommodation, I commuted for almost 2 months, and as a result of 2 daily trips - occasionally more - along the Boulevard Périphérique, became completey stressed-out (this being pre route A86 and Francilienne).
Then re-located to Chantilly - a beautiful area - which made the daily drive south to CDG very pleasant. This continued for a number of years when I was again up-rooted.

You suggest a Senlis to Orly commute, and although I don't doubt that some may do this by public transport, as a daily commute by car I reckon this would be madness even with the availability of the A86 outer ring-road and/or Francilien.
I leave it to those currently living and commuting daily around Paris to comment on their actual experience, and where within easy reach of Orly may be best to locate. It's worthwhile considering though, that the Paris 'rush-hour' traffic in terms of actual time-span is difficult to estimate. I believe it's always bad, but Monday mornings and Friday afternoons are frightening.

Some may advise otherwise, but my preference for a vehicle every time would be to purchase in France. With all the other bureaucratic red-tape that you will have to sort out associated with your move, you can well do without the car re-registering rigmarole - believe me I've done it!
Don't be too put off either with the apparent high prices of s/h vehicles. Not only is it a buyers market for s\h and new vehicles, nobody in their right mind pays the requested sticker price (s/h) or salesman's proposed catalogue (new) price. It's a fact that 2012 is already proving to be a very difficult year for the sale of new cars. There are some superb bargains around if you care to do your homework and give the salesmen a hard time. The weekly magazine 'Auto Plus' has a page of the best promotional deals etc., well worth checking out. I can provide extra bargaining tips if/when the time comes, if necessary.
I wish you luck with your move.