Reload this Page >

Where to live near Annecy

Where to live near Annecy

Old Nov 29th 2016, 10:09 am
Just Joined

phil j c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to live near Annecy

Hi everyone,

This is my first real post and i need some advice on where to live near Annecy.

I had never planned on moving abroad but after being made redundant i have got a new job in France. I start in January and i need to find a place for me to live for a few months on my own. I then need a more permanent home for me and the family, new born baby and 3yr old.

Does any one have any suggestions on good areas to live?

I'm going to be working on the outskirts of Annecy to the west and will have a car.

Obviously Annecy is lovely but I know its expensive.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to live near Annecy

Hi Phil, how exciting
Finding "residential" rentals in France can be a bit difficult when you first arrive because of French tenancy law which is very biased towards the tenant, so landlords tend to protect themselves by requiring lots of paperwork to prove you will be a good tenant. Presumably you have a permanent job contract, agencies / landlords will want to see that to check that the monthly salary specified in your contract is at least 3 times the monthly rent. You will also need a French bank account, normally they insist on setting up a monthly direct debit for the rent.
However, if you're just looking for a temporary place, it might be better to try and find an affordable holiday let for a month or so. That would be far simpler to arrange in terms of paperwork.
I would start looking asap, not long till January and you don't want to end up with nowhere to live. Can your employer not help?
Here's a site you could look at:
https://www.leboncoin.fr/locations/o...74000&parrot=0

Good luck!
Old Nov 29th 2016, 2:03 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

For when you are on your own -
try airbnb or look at the gites de france website. For longer term rentals you can definitely negotiate the prices down.

I would agree with Eurotrash, start looking now and contacting people.
Try looking on FB for an english language group and join that, ask there. Someone may have a spare room they're willing to let to you for a couple of months.

If you are joining a large company then ask about an internal newsletter where you can ask about accommodation.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

bobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond repute

I would look south of Annecy towards Chambery. The peage between Chambery and Annecy is really good. Maybe look north of Aix les bains? Then you are between 2 great lakes, skiing and a good social network. The nearer you get to Geneva the dearer it will be.
Old Nov 29th 2016, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice. I had wondered about airbnb at least to start with and it sounds like it might be a good option.

Its a good company and i will have a permenant contract and they can help me with any paperwork etc i will need.

i'm hoping to set up a bank account this week and going to visit Annecy as well in a week or so. I think we would like to be between Annecy and Geneva in the end but its difficult to know where would be best.

thanks again
Old Dec 9th 2016, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

RichG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I live between Geneva and Annecy and know the area quite well. You will find that property/rent gets less expensive as you move away from the Swiss border. If you are working in Annecy, you might like to look at the area around Poisy, La Balme de Sillingy. These towns both have good access routes into Annecy. Avoid the lake road south of Annecy. Traffic going into Annecy on this road is always blocked up during rush hours.

Good luck with your new job.
Richard

PS: If you need some assistance locally, I'd be glad to help.
Old Dec 10th 2016, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Hi RichG

Thank you for the advice. When i have been looking Poisy and La Balme De Sillingy were on my radar so its good to hear i'm on the right track. I'm would prefer to go north or east of Annecy as i think it will be easier for work. With your comments i will avoid the south!

Me and the family are heading over tomorrow for a few days to look round.

thanks for your help.